Replacing East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra

kristopherfisheraudio said

Hey Sam,

I have the EWQL Complete Composers bundle (EWSO Gold, Choirs, Pianos, SD2, RA, Goliath, Voices of Passion) and I bought the extra mic packs for EQSO Gold. However I have since moved from all of this and I uses these as secondary/bed samples now.

I moved to LASS 2, LASS Sordino for strings, CineBrass Core and Pro for Brass and some 8Dio stuff for percussion. As for wind I have not updated these yet.

While it was expensive I think around $2500 in total it was worth it, I understand that is out of your budget but I just wanted to express how much better I have found it moving away from PLAY and going fully Kontakt. So much RAM is saved, and in general the interfaces and the running of Kontakt is far superior to that of PLAY.

Also one thing you need to remember is many of the companies that provide samples now imprint your details into the audio, provide a serial and allow it to run either directly as a kontakt library or as a loadable library in the full version of kontakt.

EastWest went down the route of PLAY as they did not think Kontakt and NI was secure enough and too many people would pirate their software. So as a resault you are stuck with an iLok and an a worse host plugin. The fact they have spent so much time and money on PLAY suggests they are not going to move away from it, where as all the other great sample companys are moving to Kontakt, its far easier, quicker and more stable having everything in one host plugin.

Just my thoughts buddy, let us know how you get on. BTW how much is the EW bundle now? I could always possibly sell you mine :wink:

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah I am not a fan of PLAY either, or stupid STUPID iLok! ha. Kontakt is awesome.

Itā€™s going for Ā£600. Thanks for the offer but I think Iā€™m going for the Spitfire Albion stuff to start off with, then Iā€™ll add some more specific libs to my collection over the summer with my AJ earnings and whatever else I manage to earn from writing music :slight_smile:

SoundFix said
simaudio said

Hi Soundfix, just thought Iā€™d mention that the prices in their store are without VAT, so you need to take that into account, donā€™t know if itā€™s still the same for students or not? It was a bit of a shock when I went to purchase Albion last year. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked and it adds another Ā£100 to my total. Still great value but I didnā€™t see that coming! :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s okay :slight_smile: I did check on the site after my post, but Iā€™m not sure about the wordingā€¦so it could be worth getting in touch with them, their support is very good, anyway I still think Itā€™s worth it.

Iā€™ve bought Albion 1 :smiley: Just downloading now! Gonna wait to purchase 2 when I receive my AJ money next month. Well excited to get creating with this

SoundFix said

Iā€™ve bought Albion 1 :smiley: Just downloading now! Gonna wait to purchase 2 when I receive my AJ money next month. Well excited to get creating with this

Hey SoundFix, congrats! :slight_smile: You did it!

omg, how high will you go with this new lib. Your tracks are already fantastic. Canā€™t imagine what will follow. The new tracks will help you getting the ā€œ2ā€ soon. :wink:

Have fun and please let us know how it is, OK!? (donā€™t forget to sleep) :slight_smile:

Cheers, Udo

SoundFix said

Nice one :slight_smile: Your in for a late night then! lol :slight_smile:

||+812324|UJ-pro said-||
SoundFix said

Hey SoundFix, congrats! :slight_smile: You did it!

omg, how high will you go with this new lib. Your tracks are already fantastic. Canā€™t imagine what will follow. The new tracks will help you getting the ā€œ2ā€ soon. :wink:

Have fun and please let us know how it is, OK!? (donā€™t forget to sleep) :slight_smile:

Cheers, Udo

Thatā€™s very nice of you to say mate, thanks :smiley:

simaudio said
SoundFix said

Nice one :slight_smile: Your in for a late night then! lol :slight_smile:

True that! 5am and Iā€™m still up, gotta get up at 9 as well damn it haha.

So guys, Iā€™ve been messing around for a few hours, writing and deleting stuff over and over. Itā€™s gonna take me a while to get used to everything this lib can do but hereā€™s a little track I made with it (I say track, itā€™s just a complete mess really created to test the different sounds)

Iā€™m really looking forward to writing a proper track with this over the next couple of days :smiley:

Wow Sam - thatā€™s pretty impressive for just messing around with the sample library! You could upload that track.

Nice work - looking forward to seeing what youā€™ll do with it once you really get serious. Hope you got some rest mate :wink:

I like the Albion stuff as well and it will serve you well.

There is another alternative for orchestral instruments that you may want to consider. I picked up a bunch of this stuff in group buys and have found the samples to be quite good and the playability excellent.

Kirk Hunter Studios - Diamond Orchestra, Concert Strings and Concert Brass

Here are a couple of examples of the strings in use, including the solo viola, in the first one. That is one of the benefits of the Kirk Hunter stuff...you get multiple size groupings of instruments as well as the solo instruments...

http://audiojungle.net/item/overwhelming-grief/3728871

http://audiojungle.net/item/until-we-embrace-again/3732077

Itā€™s a little weird trying to figure out the pricing. The interface is referred to as TVEC and is very usable, but loading all of the grouping (Full section, Half section, Quarter section, etc.) will take a while. I have setup multis with only the grouping that I want and it works extremely well.

Anyway, I just wanted to put it out there as an option in case you are looking to add in the future or someone else is looking and reads this thread. I am not affiliated at all with Kirk hunter Studios. I got into the Diamond and Concert packages through a group buy and have been very satisfied with my purchase. In addition, it is a lesser known product so I wanted to make sure you were aware of the option.

BTW, great test track, Sam!

JBlanks said

Wow Sam - thatā€™s pretty impressive for just messing around with the sample library! You could upload that track.

Nice work - looking forward to seeing what youā€™ll do with it once you really get serious. Hope you got some rest mate :wink:

Thanks a lot Jamie, itā€™s a very good sounding lib out of the box, plenty of natural reverb on the instruments, which at first I thought was bad but to me it makes them all sound great together.

Hereā€™s my first proper piece, written on 3 hours sleep haha. Itā€™s very simple but I think it sounds pretty awesome, and I barely touched the mix: https://soundcloud.com/sam_soundfix/war :slight_smile:

MichalskiMusic said

There is another alternative for orchestral instruments that you may want to consider. I picked up a bunch of this stuff in group buys and have found the samples to be quite good and the playability excellent.

Kirk Hunter Studios - Diamond Orchestra, Concert Strings and Concert Brass

Here are a couple of examples of the strings in use, including the solo viola, in the first one. That is one of the benefits of the Kirk Hunter stuff...you get multiple size groupings of instruments as well as the solo instruments...

http://audiojungle.net/item/overwhelming-grief/3728871

http://audiojungle.net/item/until-we-embrace-again/3732077

Itā€™s a little weird trying to figure out the pricing. The interface is referred to as TVEC and is very usable, but loading all of the grouping (Full section, Half section, Quarter section, etc.) will take a while. I have setup multis with only the grouping that I want and it works extremely well.

Anyway, I just wanted to put it out there as an option in case you are looking to add in the future or someone else is looking and reads this thread. I am not affiliated at all with Kirk hunter Studios. I got into the Diamond and Concert packages through a group buy and have been very satisfied with my purchase. In addition, it is a lesser known product so I wanted to make sure you were aware of the option.

BTW, great test track, Sam!

Thanks so much for the recommendation dude, really appreciate it. It wouldnā€™t be a bad thing either, investing in a lesser known lib. I will check out those tracks you mentioned too.

Glad you like the track :wink: Hereā€™s one I spent a bit of time on today using just Albion 1, Im hoping they may use it as a demo but the mix may not be up to scratch for that: https://soundcloud.com/sam_soundfix/war

Cheers!