(Locked) How do you make money

Dear all,

I’m a freelance designer and webdeveloper. I created an account and was suprised how you all make money. I took the best selling HTML template for my example: http://themeforest.net/item/creative-studio/31100

His template is downloaded 36 times.
His template costs 12 dollar.
He earns (in a first stadium, like mine) 40%
His total income would be (36 * 12 * 0.4) 173 dollar.

I don’t think that is much. So, how do you make money selling templates here. I’m curious because I want to launch some templates here myself.

1 Like

Well, first you might need to change your point of view on getting paid in here =)

Ok, when you start with 40%, having a $12 html theme (considering that will be the only theme you have ever), consider it was downloaded a 1000 times in 6 months, it would make $3000 for your html theme, which you probably prepared in 4-5 days.

How many of your html pieces can you sell for $3000 each?

Now; is it less, or much?=) Not even mentioning how high your commission rate will go as your files keeps getting sold.

hi jeroentje,

I don’t think that you’re right! the best selling HTML Template has not 36 sales… this is the best selling HTML template with 493 sales http://themeforest.net/item/complete-liquid-admin-control-panel/24826

so… you can make money here, and the reason of being on here shouldn’t be just the money… its the joy to make something awesome and help others to have it easier, right? :slight_smile:

This is how you make money here on flashden

http://blog.flashden.net/general/1-file-2000-sales-80000/

Not everyone is so lucky, but if your designs are good and your concepts are unike and interesting you just might stand a chance and hanging with the ‘bigger boys and gals’ :stuck_out_tongue:

Great question! I would say it’s all about…

• Creating quality over quantity
  • Being original
  • Continually uploading new material
  • Diversification through multiple marketplaces
  • Realizing that stock is a long term strategy, not a short term strategy
  • Don't think that uploading your file is the end, it's only the start - you have to use your own creative ways to market and promote your files
  • Be patient
  • Listen to your customers
  • Be different from your competitors
  • Most of all... enjoy what you do

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

This is how you make money here on flashden

Not everyone is so lucky, but if your designs are good and your concepts are unike and interesting you just might stand a chance and hanging with the ‘bigger boys and gals’ :stuck_out_tongue:

thats another story… don’t make us jealous man, I mean big gal :stuck_out_tongue:

Some people think this is yet-another template monster with exclusive themes for $4k :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s ridiculous what the top-selling Wordpress themes made… some sold $10,000+ and in just a few months.

hi guys,

thanks for the replies! I guess it was a little underestimated by me. I don’t know how to create wordpress templates. I do can post some HTML templates. I don’t work in Photoshop, but Fireworks. (don’t want to start a topic on which is best, I realize Fireworks has flaws and by far not as much features). Should I include the editable PNG aswel? Or do users usually prefer PSD only?

HTML templates don’t require a base PSD file, or anything of the sort, but users tend to like having an editable PSD (or PNG file, in your case).

As long as you have something that you started with, it will help. Buyers like having an editable image file. :wink:

And it’s no problem if you can’t code for Wordpress. There’s dozens upon dozens of high-selling HTML templates.

Didn’t see that before, pretty rad. My prediction is one of Maximus’ WP themes is going to be the first to 2k on TF one of his has already hit 500+ in 4 months.

I wonder if people actually use TF as their full time job. I know I’d quit my daytime job if I was getting 10k every 4 months hah!

how do you earn money from this site? i am so confused! what is 50% sales?

iProThemes said

Well, first you might need to change your point of view on getting paid in here =)

Ok, when you start with 40%, having a $12 html theme (considering that will be the only theme you have ever), consider it was downloaded a 1000 times in 6 months, it would make $3000 for your html theme, which you probably prepared in 4-5 days.

Now; is it less, or much?=) Not even mentioning how high your commission rate will go as your files keeps getting sold.

I totally agree with you, I didn’t upload any design yet but I sense I’ll get the best money for every design I make here. Thanks man. :wink:

mesaber said
iProThemes said

I totally agree with you, I didn’t upload any design yet but I sense I’ll get the best money for every design I make here. Thanks man. :wink:

Why do you keep replying to these year old threads? How did you even found those?

Orbital_Themes said
mesaber said
iProThemes said

Why do you keep replying to these year old threads? How did you even found those?

Hey Orbital, I was just looking for some information then I found those threads, and I wanted to add my opinion. Sorry if I bothered you my friend ;).

scottwills said

Great question! I would say it’s all about…

• Creating quality over quantity
  • Being original
  • Continually uploading new material
  • Diversification through multiple marketplaces
  • Realizing that stock is a long term strategy, not a short term strategy
  • Don't think that uploading your file is the end, it's only the start - you have to use your own creative ways to market and promote your files
  • Be patient
  • Listen to your customers
  • Be different from your competitors
  • Most of all... enjoy what you do

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Nice suggestion…, the most I like on the suggestions above is “be patient”

PixelBin said

It’s ridiculous what the top-selling Wordpress themes made… some sold $10,000+ and in just a few months.

That’s far from ridiculous. Themes like that take a very long time to develop and you need to keep in mind that if you calculate the work hours an author already has spend from 2000 dollars to even 5000 dollars to create the theme in the first place.

ChapterThemes said
PixelBin said

That’s far from ridiculous. Themes like that take a very long time to develop and you need to keep in mind that if you calculate the work hours an author already has spend from 2000 dollars to even 5000 dollars to create the theme in the first place.

Hehe, this thread is so old you would have to take into account inflation to make sense of these values now :slight_smile:

This is a super old thread… but in any case…

Be prepared to feel really poor / broke and thank me later - http://marketplaces-monitor.createit.pl/