Item Support Policy and Functionality Launched

As a customer I think its only fair that themes bought before September 1st be grandfathered in with unlimited support or least let the authors opt in or opt out with providing paid support. Just my2cents

2 Likes

Still no supported_until or username available in the /v2/author/sale endpoint.

1 Like

@dtbaker Y u no sleep bro? :smiley: Went to bed, you online, woke up, you online (and half across the world) :stuck_out_tongue: Guess it’s a busy timing!

@andrewfreeman Dropping all the functionality of the statement is indeed a hard decision. Perhaps a collapse/expand - accordion-like functionality could be added? Just one line should be added - “totals” and some small CSS/JS tweaks.

Hey hogash,

It’s a good idea and definitely one we’re considering.

1 Like

Awesome Andrew!! It’s one tough period i can tell you that!

Hey @dtbaker we have a number of active API endpoints currently and the fix for the one you have mentioned is on the way! @andrewfreeman was referring to the fix for the older verify purchase endpoint.

Apologies for any confusion, there was another thread started for the API issues When can we expect the API to be fixed? also.

You know when I bought themes on themeforest I made sure and bought themes that were supported. Some themes were really great, easy, worked just like the demo. Others a total mess. For persons who don’t know anything about coding etc. support is needed. Some authors documentations are not detailed and when they update their themes many times things go wrong. I just don’t understand all this greed. I have bought themes in the past that were removed from download and I was never compensated or refunded any money. So why is it I have to pay continual support for themes I bought in the past that stated the author provided support. Isn’t that a breach in a sales contract? The same way if I was to purchase a regular license and use it on more than one domain I would be breaching my end of the deal. Honestly I think this new policy should apply to new purchases. Anyhow I am done purchasing themes on themeforest. I am not a coder, I am not rich and I would need support occasionally and I don’t feel like paying 30.00 average just to ask one question within 6 months. Pure Rip Off that is how I see it.

2 Likes

Hi @kokotee,

I wanted to clarify what is happening with purchases made of supported items prior to September 1st:

The terms under which buyers purchased were between them and the author. What we’ve done is make some recommendations based on what we believe is fair for buyers and authors, and implement this into the system (i.e. in the form of a 6 month grant from September 1st). As we’ve mentioned before, buyers who believe they are entitled to more than 6 months support are free to work with the author directly to establish this.

Hi Andrew. Why Mobile category is not included? I sell 3 Android apps and supporting these take me a lot of time. I don’t see any reason why Mobile should be excluded from the new Item Support policy. Is there any explanation? Thanks.

1 Like

There’s another word for this phenomena. It is called “PILFERING”. Which makes nice tidy grand total at the end of the month, I believe.

Go on, go on - we, authors, are stupid. We cannot calculate and make conclusions. We will never think that you introduced that additional line in stats only to rob another 1 cent on each sale (especially considering the fact that supported and not supported items are priced the same).

1 Like

Yeah but if you start up paid updates then all the sales you’ve had in the past, lots of buyers will want refunding as they didn’t buy the item on those terms that they would have to pay extra to get the item updated and when it comes to Wordpress themes they basically wouldn’t have a choice but to have to pay extra, so this would make it even more a logistical nightmare to organize and get people refunded. With it being support only the customer gets some choice.

2 Likes

Hey @andrewfreeman!

I’m sure you have explained somewhere the reason why our item is cheaper with support compared with no support.

The problem I’m facing is that I’ve never seen something anywhere else ever! Why do you reduce the price of our items? This doesn’t make sense at all.

If you like to add 6 month of support for free than add it for free!

Buyers will see that they have “bought” a support package but what if they don’t need support? I guess they would be happy to pay the lower price without support. If support is added for no extra charge they can clearly see the support they get is free and they behave more like that.

I think you don’t go back in all your decisions but can you please make it more clear:

Buyers do not purchase a support package (by default), they purchase the item - for it’s stated price - and have 6 month of free support included!

6 Likes

3th Day and no answers … From now on you’ll get an

“PING”

from me until you get into my questions, every few hours. I know this is a one man show but I think you will not listening to your customers and don’t even try to de escalate something here (Bug fixing is no de escalation!). Click on my profile badge inside the gray box on bottom of your first post and answer all the questions plz.

[original comment removed by author]

Too many questions and too few answers. I’m out of conversation where second party is not listening and not reacting.

2 Likes

It’s ironic how a company that forced his “sellers” to provide support for a penny can’t provide answers on time :frowning:

The more I look the tricky details for the support update, the more disappointed I am.

1 Like

Hi @revaxarts,

As I mentioned above, we’ve decided to change this to one line so that the full sales amount will go to the item with 6 months included support. I think this is the same as what you’re suggesting?

1 Like

Yes! This sounds exactly what I was taking about! Thanks :smiley:

Hi @TenserD,

Apologies - I’m not trying to ignore your questions. Just trying to get through the common questions first. I’ll start from the top but you have a few posts so you’ll need to bear with me.

@andrewfreeman could you please answer this? :slight_smile: I am also curious because for now our collaboration mechanisms are broken because of lower price of the item…

That will be implemented before 1 march 2016 . no buyer will require to extend support till then.