INDIAN Authors - USA(iTin) Tax Discussion Only

Its not necessary to have an NTN number to fill out W-8 form.

Thanks for reply. There are 4 option in form provided by envato and last option is “NOt have ITIN No”. If i select this option then message generated below “withhold of 30% is apply”

There’s a topic where authors from india are discussing this. Try engaging on there if your question is not already answered :+1:

There are the following option in form

It’s 30% without ITIN and 15% with ITIN for India.

To get ITIN number you have to fill out W7 form and send it along with your passport and the Evanto letter (saying that you are selling with them and therefore need an ITIN number) to the IRS in Texas.

2 Likes

thanks. I am going to apply for Envato Letter. How much time it take to get letter from envato?

Most people only need to fill in the Foreign Tax ID number. If they don’t have one, and can’t get one, that’s when you’d need to look into getting an ITIN.

@rasignature You can fill the PAN card number as Foreign Tax ID.

what about indian author tax for non us and how i provide tin no or itin no ?

Sorry, I don’t agree.

I think majority of indian authors either have entered or going to enter PAN as foreign tax id. let’s not confuse the matter unless we get credible info against it.

I am also an Indian author and i will be adding Pan card number as here we don’t have tin number. If anyone gets some new info from Envato staff do post here.

there will be provision under which we set separate price for US buyer and reset of world remain same.In this case we will not under loss.For example ebay.in and ebay.com in both website price varies for a single product.

Envato has made it clear that there will be no such provision of separate prices for US and non-US buyers.
Also, it won’t be possible for authors to set restriction on purchasing their items by US buyers.

Some CA and Accountant in India first time listen about ITIN. They consider it TIN.

Is it compulsory that the w8 form must be filled before 31 Dec, 2015. Can be fill it later because for applying ITIN it take lot of time.

Yes you should atleast fill the form. But don’t give any number to them
yet. In that case all US sales will withheld 30% as tax. In case you
don’t even fill the form then irrespective of the sale location it will
be considered as a US sale and 30% tax will be taken from every sale.
Even
better you should apply for PAN card. you could get it done within 15
days max and then use that number. With PAN card 15% will be deducted as
tax on US sales.

i have a pan card but i decided to fill the form on 30 or 31st December 2015.

i got support letter from envato for w7 form in pdf form. Now I have questions

1. Is IRS accept PDF downloaded color printout document of envato letter?
  2. Is there any fee for applying ITIN no?
  3. If I going for attest my passport color photocopy from US embassy can they charged any fee or demand of any extra document from me?
  4. Is it ok if I attested my passport copies from Gazetted officer?
  5. Is it ok if I send photocopies of may pan card also?

in creative market website they use Date of birth where the person not able to provide ITIN number. Some of my friend have account in creative market , they only fill Date of Birth instead ITIN number. From the link u provide there is mention. check
"Line 6. If you are providing this Form W-8BEN to document yourself with respect to a financial account that you hold at a U.S. office of a financial institution, provide the tax identifying number (TIN) issued to you by your jurisdiction of tax residence unless:You have not been issued a TIN, orThe jurisdiction does not issue TINs.If you have not provided your jurisdiction of residence TIN on line 6, provide your date of birth in line 8"