From the Top: Adobe InDesign for Beginners

This is a brand new Envato Tuts+ course by @danlovesadobe —use this thread to post your results from the lesson exercises and get feedback!

2 Likes

How can i get a certification for this course.

I’ve just started the Youtube tutorial for InDesign – it’s great. But I’m doing something wrong and need help.

In the beginning (about color), when I select the box I made, click on “contour” (I’m in France), and choose a color, the frame color doesn’t change. I can change the fill-in color, but not the frame. The upper left frame drawing in the little color window reflects my choice, but the page does not. Am I missing a validation step? SOS please!

Hi @Melissa301, welcome to the Tuts+ forum! Your question is one for @danlovesadobe I think. Hopefully he’ll be able to help :slight_smile:

Me again … I tried to figure it out. When I choose a very wide frame I see the colour change as per the video instructions. I think that when the frame is so fine (1 pt.) my screen doesn’t show the change accurately or my eyes aren’t keen enough to register it. Does this make sense to those in the know?

Hey Melissa, try add a stroke (contour) size to your box. Make it large to see if it’s working or not (5px). Another thing might be that you need to have your box selected first. Use the black arrow to click the edge first. See if that helps.

2 Likes

How can i change the language in indesign. I have a problem keeping up while having to translate the therms used in the videos.

Hi - I am taking the InDesign for Beginners tutorial on Youtube. I’ve come to the place where we are re-sizing images. I have tried every combo possible but still only re-sizing the frame. I’ve tried Shift/Command, Shift alone, Shift Alt - I’ve made sure my cap locked isn’t on. Nothing except transform-scale changes the size of the image. I am using Mac (with a PC keyboard since Mac doesn’t make ergonomic keyboards). Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!

I found my answer in Adobe’s help - This works great. Clicking on the content grabber was the missing step in the video tutorial.

Click the frame with the Selection tool. The donut-shaped Content Grabber icon appears at the center of the frame.

To freely resize the art, click the Content Grabber. A brown frame appears around the artwork. Shift-drag a corner handle of the frame to resize the artwork proportionally.

I had the same problem. But the solution for me, on a PC, was under Frame Fitting, I needed to uncheck the Auto-Fit box. I hope this helps anyone else who is stuck. Excellent tutorial, BTW!

Hi there,
Just completed the course on Youtube and want to post my PDF here – unfortunately it’s telling me that new users can’t upload files. Any idea how long I keep “new user” status for?
Brett

I am new and to the course and class building now what I found out are badges but I have tagged and posted to my Instagram. super supportive hands on learning is really helping with relearning my steps to getting good back at illustrator again.

Brand new guy here going through the tutorial on You Tube. So far great except one item. When I created the new document and selected “Print” for creating, then “Letter” I can not get a “Bleed” option to become available to select. I am using InDesign 2021. The tutorial is using InDesign 2019

Hi Everyone, I’m just starting the InDesign course today. If I need any help I’ll be sure to ask for assistance on here. Nice to meet you all!

Can someone help me please?

When I try to import a text file into InDesign I get this kind of error

The text becomes like a code

Here is my project from course one of InDesign for Beginners. @danlovesadobe. Thank you for the lesson. I really like the way it came out. I hope you all like mine put together. I made it as to where I live now Tucson, AZ

Is ID only for print? I am looking to learn how to make and design a small product catalog and sales brochures - for the digital world - with hopes of converting to a flipbook or downloadable catalog. I have grand ideas and limited knowledge so it is time to learn

Hi - I just took the beginners course… thank you!! It was great. I am creating a book with LOTS of text. It’s coming in by the way of about 60 Word documents. I’d like to have all the text from all the documents in one continuous, connected frame (? hopefully that’s what you call it) - currently I bring the drop the new document/text in in a separate column, then highlight all text, copy and paste below the last line of text from the last document. Seems super cumbersome, is there an easy way to paste the new text below the last line of the previous text? Thanks! Tina

Hi
How can I get these extra blue lines/squares on my page.