External SSD worth it?

I remember back in the days on Logic 9 there was on option to connect 2 mac machines through firewire, so you can use CPU from the other one but only for Daw plugins. And it only applies for CPU, not RAM or GPU. :slight_smile:

I am not sure is that still possible on Logic Pro X.

@Hyperprod, I looked up for that Blackmagic Multdock, it looks interesting, I wish I had thunderbolt port. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you, @RainyAudio and @Hyperprod !

I think Logic X can do that also. Its not an bad idea since getting one laptop is on my future plans.

I didnĀ“t knew about Blackmagic. Looking into it nowā€¦

The SSD will help you but also cpu is important, especially when you start to write the automation for the orchestral instruments

1 Like

I am working on iMac (2017 with 256gb SSD) with external 1TB SSD. Best decision ever. No issues.

1 Like

Could you tell me which SSDs you bought to run with your Blackmagic?

There are so many options and opinions out thereā€¦

Hearing from someone whom have the same Mac as me would narrow my choices.

I think I got Crucial Mx300 and Samsung 850 EVO. There are probably new models out now though. So it cost me 3x what the Mac itself cost :joy:
Theres no Thunderbolt 2 on new machines though, so not the most future proof system.

1 Like

I have a completely different setup and DAW (Sonar) and maybe this is an open door, but what helps is bouncing some tracks to audio/freezing.

1 Like

Theres no Thunderbolt 2 on new machines though, so not the most future proof system.

Hmmā€¦Good point!

And something from different point of view:

I had been using external ā€œlibraryā€ HDD drive few years ago. It worked quite ok but I would not use external drive HDD or SSD anymore because itā€™s not practical. I mean you can forget it, you can drop it, you can have tiny problems with usb connection (once Iā€™ve lost couple of GB because of that (!) ), etc. But if thatā€™s the only thing you can do with your current computer - go on, you have no choice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like more of a Ram problem to meā€¦or the lack of it if your using lots of tracks. Had problems like this myself a few years back, invested in more Ram and solved my problems. Since then though iā€™ve built a new machine. Might be the only way.

You could try possible solutions that may help if you havenā€™t already done so?
1.Try changing the latency in your asio driver to a higher value.

2.Freeze tracks or bounce as audio, then disable instrument. This will help to free up Ram.

3.Purge samples in Kontakt, just use the ones you need, this helps quite alot.

Some useful links here that might help;

Youā€™ve probably seen this but some points to consider.

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Thanks! Some of these tips i already knew but some not. IĀ“ll try!!

I assume you use internal SSDĀ“s instead?

Thatā€™s right! 1tb ssd and second 4 tb hdd for less important libraries and files. I had to remove dvd to install second drive.

1 Like