SSD's

Hi,
Which is the best use for SSD’s?
I don’t know if I have to download my instruments in SSD’s or it is better only for windows!
How do you do?
Thanks

Hi man, I’m using two SSD drives, one 256GB for system and second 500gb for samples. super fast loading time, and it could steam from drive directly.

1 Like

They are getting cheaper, so take a look for 512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro. NI Komplete and all my other libraries are stored on it. Very fast loading.

3 Likes

Use the new 950ssd if your motherboard supports it, or 2xRAID Samsung Evo 850 (very cheap) , i think that currently a ssd is a must in any pc configuration.

1 Like

SSD’s will improve performance no matter what system you are using. At a certain point during playback, a sample library will need to load samples off your hard drive, and if you have lots of things accessing your hard drive at once + lot’s of cpu processing going on with low latency settings, you will get pops and audio artifacts - SSD’s greatly improve this situation. They also lower load times. Probably one of the best upgrades you can make, IMO, because even with lots of RAM, 99.999% of sample libraries aren’t programmed to take advantage of extra RAM, and they will always be buffering from your hard drive. I have 3 250GB SSD drives, they allow me to do things I could have never done before, like orchestral projects with lots of tracks using bleeding-edge libraries at reasonable latency.

1 Like

IMO?

Thanks

SSD’s are incredible - after switching from HDD it’s very hard to go back. The most important thing is to have your OS on on an SSD. After this, I put any sample libraries I use often on an SSD and I really feel the difference.

The great thing is, even the cheaper older SSD’s are very fast and you can buy very good ones quite cheaply now especially if you find one on sale.

2 Likes

Thanks man,
So I need one SSD for SO and one more for libraries?
This will be better?
And 500 gb each one will be ok?

Depends on the size of your sample library. The bigger the better :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 to all the posts here. SSDs represent a massive speed increase and are tremendously useful for killing load times on big libraries and improving on-the-fly performance.

With the price of SSDs gradually coming down, I’d definitely recommend making the switch from HDD to SSD - at least for the main / OS drive. So far I’ve managed with a single 500GB 850 Evo with the OS, Komplete 10 Ultimate and various other small libraries - had to keep the whole drive very lean just to fit everything in! Anything that isn’t music related goes on an external HDD.

I plan on buying more small-medium sized SSDs for other libraries down the track - which will be soon as I’m planning on going orchestral-library shopping soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi AurusAudio,
I am having problems of audio,the disk display on kontakt is full when i have a large project. This can solve these problems?
Thanks

I’m not exactly sure what you mean, but I don’t think switching to an SSD will solve this. By “disk display” do you mean disk / RAM usage in the project?

Kontakt disk display is below CPU display on the sample.
When I play a piano library of kontakt and there are loaded other instruments like strings or brass the disk display is near the red line an I have clicks of audio.I have the maximum buffer size on my audiocard and a lot of GB free.I never had this problems before and I can’t work well.
Thanks

Have you tried increasing the “DFD preload buffer size” in Instrument Options?

1 Like

It is better increase the buffer or decrease it?
I have it on 18KB

Increasing the buffer should help

1 Like

Exactly!! That was the problem!
Thanks,

Got this drive and placed most used Kontakt libraries. The speed of projects loading improved.

2 Likes

i have 3 SSD’s. 1) for system 2) for project files 3) for sample libs
i have samsung pro and intel. old intels are slugins. modern intels is very good. but i stick with samsung pro.

btw new M2 SSD’s is 4-5 times faster then SATA3 SSD’s. but you need free Pci-e or expensive motherboard with M2 slot.
bear in mind that some M2’s is not bootable.

1 Like

Large buffer is always a good idea in your DAW unless you are trying to minimize latency for recording or live purposes.

1 Like