Element 3D V2

looks great! :slight_smile:

I ve just take a look to the new features of v2 and i can only say i have a headache. OMG Get ready for the flood!! That´s insane update.

Just released! Enjoy! :bigsmile: https://www.videocopilot.net/products/element2/

WOW! waiting for a new plugin E3D! ))

yes :smiley: but it´s sad we can´t use it for templates now :smiley:

Version 2 has a new coordinate system so make sure you guys check your templates and make any necessary adjustments in case something is not how it’s supposed to look when opened in Version 2.

I’m fixing one of my templates because one of my objects is reversed when I opened it up using version 2. Has something to do if the anchor point of an object was changed in the previous version.

Most may not need to do anything at all but it doesn’t hurt to check just in case you did mess with the anchor point of an object in a previous version.

You can read about that here, the very bottom

@facade

How is the installation process? Can you have both v1 and v2 or not?

doru said

@facade

How is the installation process? Can you have both v1 and v2 or not?

No, not that I am aware of. Make sure not to save over your existing file version with EDv2. If you need to go back to that original file that you made with v1.6, then you would have to reinstall v1.6 to open that up. As far as I know, you can only have one version of ED3 on your one system.

In fact you can have only one version as Andrew said long before the launch. So what I said in this thread before we all have to Go for V2 now and check all our V1 items, because not all works fine. But if you have no second PC to work with V1 (and I will not have only for this) it is difficult, because you have to Go for V2 to be able for check and than you can´t change V1 items if they are not working fine in V2.

So I will go that way -> Upgrade to V2-> check all my items -> if not working make a notice in item description that is not for V2 (only way thats possible). Think about that many template buyer see that awesome E3D V2 killer app and upgrade or dive as new V2 customers into E3D from now.

C_You said

So I will go that way -> Upgrade to V2-> check all my items -> if not working make a notice in item description that is not for V2 (only way thats possible). Think about that many template buyer see that awesome E3D V2 killer app and upgrade or dive as new V2 customers into E3D from now.

^^
+1

Yup, that’s what I did.

I think Envato should include 2 separate version Element 1 and Element 2, because some buyer may not want to update to 2, and some authors may produce more templates on 1.6 because the difference between them is big enough.

is it possible to have say V1 on cs5 and V2 on cs6?

AlexZlatev said

I think Envato should include 2 separate version Element 1 and Element 2, because some buyer may not want to update to 2, and some authors may produce more templates on 1.6 because the difference between them is big enough.

+1. I think it will be better to wait for a wile before having E3D v2 templates on the marketplace.
Maybe after a update like v2.1 will be a better decision.

This looks like a mess.

Now if a buyer want to buy element v1 to use with templates sold here they can’t.

Listing Element 3D as necessary plugin on an item just doesn’t work anymore as the plugin is not available for sell anymore.

Bad move from videocopilot.

The new plugin is not 100% compatible with the old one and it doesn’t save to previous version yet they chose to replace the old version breaking people projects. What a bunch of bullocks choice.

With all due respect that most of authors have for Andrew Kramer but man, you’ve just created huge problems for a bunch of people that creates content for your plugin and bring you a lot of new clients that need to buy your software to use the templates sold here. Yes, authors here earn money and they help you to earn money also so both profit from this Element3D but why create problems to someone who give you all this huge boost in sells for the plugin?

Yeah, we all know, people would had purchased the plugin anyway but in reality the fact that there is way more content available for this plugin than what they sell on videocopilot website have a huge impact on deciding to purchase the plugin.

They know this, else why limit the use for stock items to not allowing renders? If it would had been such a small niche for stock items then why bothering to limit the use? I tell you why, they perfectly know the importance and how items here provide a kick in the plugin purchase.

So now, what an author gets? A huge headache.

This would had been simple. Leave both plugins available for sale, let them install separately. Or give optional install for having both version and at the same time provide full compatibility when opening a v1 ae template with the v2 version.

Really, huge disrespect for content creators.

That is why I don’t like to use plugins in templates. Have the same problem with Plexus. The only way to go is pre-rendered versions.

Doru is right, it’s a headache.

I´ve Element 1.6 working in CS5.5, CS6 and CC… And Element 3D v2 working in CC 2014… Amazing Upgrade!!

@doru
You nailed it perfectly !

And I absolutely don´t understand it too, that you don´t allowed to produce pre-rendered stuff for stock market. With V2 this is near an own 3D app and would be the same as you are not allowed to sell anything you created with C4D or Photoshop - thats really hard to understand. I agree totally nobody is allowed use the VC content came along with E3D like models/textures/materials and so on, but if you just use the app with all your own models/textures/… to generate cool stuff this should be your own right to do everything with the renders. And nobody can really see if a bunch of flying balls came out of E3D or C4D right? The line between all the apps at the market is very small - and an app is a tool to create stuff - nothing else!

So maybe Andrew is changing thinking point for that and allow us to do it in future - who knows.

Hey what’s up, Andrew Kramer here!

It’s been a crazy week but I see there are a few questions I can help with.

As you know E3DV2 is a massive overhaul. Internally it has a new coordinate system that allows you to combine multiple objects in the same scene and even select sub-objects. For this to work every object and sub object has to use a global coordinate.

It was a critical system to develop to accommodate many new features! We probably could have added shadows and reflections and called it V2 but we went all in to build a more complete plug-in.

(Just think about all the cool templates that can be made in V2 and your customers only need to buy a $199 plug-in instead of a $1500 3D program…)

TEMPLATE MAKERS:

Now to clarify, template makers were very much a consideration for V2 and it was quite challenging to get it working with old projects without being limited by legacy features. And you never want old features to limit innovation!

So we were actually going to make V2 install separate from V1 but we thought all the work that people put into V1 projects would have to be recreated since nothing would be “converted”. And this was not ideal so we decided to try and make sure old projects are converted properly.

But there are still some projects that do not open correctly. Right now.

MOVING FORWARD:

We are COMMITTED to getting all V1 projects to open in V2 correctly! We invite anyone with a problem to please send it to us right away and we will try and fix any issues and update the plug-in so it is not a problem for anyone.

The only thing that might look a little diff is the SSAO since it uses a new improved algorithm that is way better.

Perhaps the best way to sell templates is to create a project file for V2 and keep the project for V1 as well. That way you can tweak the SSAO if necessary with minimal work.

FINALLY:

Now that the coordinate system is very solid, future versions like V3 etc, should not have these types of issues since we will not be overhauling the internal system.

Element 3D V2 is a big upgrade in terms of features and work so we expected a few bugs at launch but after a week or two we should have most of them sorted out.

Hope this helps!

Hi Andrew, aside from the topic, I was wondering whether you guys worked on version 2 stability, because I had quite some crashes with element when putting it on high tasks?

A lot of times when adding my own custom hdri maps (4-5K) I would have element either crash or loose “Scene Setup” button and my AE would go crazy. I had to reduce HDRI map size, which wasn’t a good option since I need stuff to look realistic for my projects.

The 2 major causes for instability with OpenGL are:

1. Out of Date Drivers
  2. Not enough memory

In V2, we have reduced the memory usage of many core features which should help a lot. Excess memory usage seems the be the primary cause of instability.

Everything takes up memory, textures, models, render size. Render passes. Post effects etc.

OpenGL doesn’t let us know when memory is getting low so we can’t detect it to prevent users from going too far.

Bad Metaphor: If you have a glass of water and you fill it with to much liquid, it will overflow. Nothing is really wrong with the glass.

We think the software itself, is pretty solid but GPU memory is mostly out of our control. It’s a trade-off of using OpenGL unfortunately.

The one issue that is probably the most challenging is the graphics card drivers on the ma since Apple doesn’t let card manufacturers provide updates to the drivers like on windows. In fact, on windows, Nvidia releases updated drivers every month. But Apple updates the driver, like once a year and they compile the Drivers, it is actually not the official driver from AMD or Nvidia. I don’t think they really care either.

We have fixed many mac “bugs” that were actually only issues OSX because of out of date drivers. In other words, the software worked properly on windows using the same GPU but on OSX, we have to try and bypass the lack of proper drivers and fix something that is not broken in the code.

With that said, we are constantly investigating bug reports and system configurations, so emailing support is the best way to help us investigate.