Creative Common 0 License

Hello I recently haven’t my item approved because it contains some photos but my reviewer don’t seem to be aware of the Creative Commons0 License so I will post here, since probably other Reviewers don’t know about it. I quote the description from the website I got the photos from, not trying to advertise or anything. This post it to make sure that we can redistribute the CC0 photos without any legal problem.

It’s hard to understand complex licenses that is why all photos on Pexels are licensed under the Creative Commons Zero (CC0) license. This means the pictures are completely free to be used for any legal purpose.

The pictures are free for personal and even for commercial use.
You can modify, copy and distribute the photos.
All without asking for permission or setting a link to the source. So, attribution is not required.
The only restriction is that identifiable people may not appear in a bad light or in a way that they may find offensive, unless they give their consent. You should also make sure the depicted content (people, logos, private property, etc.) is suitable for your application and doesn’t infringe any rights.

The CC0 license was released by the non-profit organization Creative Commons (CC). Get more information about Creative Commons images and the license on the official license page.

Those are the Creative Commons rules… but not including photos in your items is the Envato rule.

No, you can’t include photos in the Envato items if they’re protected by Copyright or the Creative Commons License. I’m talking about the Creative Commons 0 (zero) which is different, not the normal creative commons. The Creative Commons 0 allows to redistribute and commercially use, read what is written in italic.

“Not including the photos is Envato rule” means you’re very confused about licenses because if the photos are yours or CC0 you can include them

I know how the Creative Commons licenses work. My point is that If Envato don’t want to accept your item, then they don’t have to… and if they’re saying the reason for rejection is because you’ve included these images, then you’re going to have to remove them if you want to get your item approved.

Sorry man that’s not how this works for me, if there’re rules they must be respected.
Shortly:

Copyrighted photos cannot be used and can’t be redistributed
Creative Commons photos can be used, cannot be redistributed.
Creative Commons 0 photos can be used and redistributed.

So shortly Creative Commons 0 means you can include them in the file.

I’ll let you know when the reviewer replies

I think you’re missing the point. As a privately held, limited company… Envato can decide what they accept and what they don’t, and they’re well within their rights to decline, accept or delete items and/or accounts as they see fit. It’s perfectly legal to bring a dog into a house, but if I pop round your house with my dog, then you’re well within your rights to turn me away and not let me or my dog in.

If the rule was that ‘Creative Commons 0 photos can’t be used and redistributed’, then Envato would have to abide by that*, but just because ‘Creative Commons 0 photos can be used and redistributed’, it doesn’t mean that Envato have to accept them.

It’s not about Envato not respecting the rules. They do respect the rules. But the rule is ‘can be used and redistributed’ not ‘can be used in GraphicRiver items and must be accepted by Envato’.

*Well, the author would have to abide by that to be more accurate, but Envato would have to deal with any breaches of that rule if made aware to them.

3 Likes