[CodeCanyon] Ruby on Rails

Hello, I’m learning ruby on rails and I must say it crushes php in some areas if not all.

I was wondering if we could sell rails application at codecanyon, given that there are no categories for them. What do you guys think of this ?

Cheers

I just read this article on nettus and thought I would share.

“There’s another situation where I’d consider the language, and that would be if I was selling a product, say, a custom CMS selling on Code Canyon. I wouldn’t write it in Ruby because commodity web hosting doesn’t generally support it. Whereas PHP is pretty much readily available everywhere and web designers and less experienced programmers are somewhat familiar with it.”

Thanks for the link, looks veyr interesting.

I will have to agree with Ryan on this one, php is the web’s most common tool, however ruby and the rails framework bring a lot of useful things for developers and perhaps for buyers, I admit it’s harder to learn that php, but at the end rails simplifies the development of a web application.

+1 for Ruby on rails as a new category.

I’m not sure there is a market for RoR applications just yet? not enough hosting providers supporting it - and RoR apps tend to be large & custom built (like this marketplace) - not simple scripts that could be plugged in easily to any existing website like PHP.

But hopefully this will change over time - so certainly keep learning it and making apps!

I don’t think that selling complex bloated RoR applications here is a good idea. I think that nobody will buy it.

I would rather see a premium ruby gems as a new category.

A RoR category won’t be happening any time soon.

Agree with above.

Until people can deploy RoR applications just like they can with PHP, then it won’t be getting very far.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I was wondering if RoR has picked up momentum since this discussion? There are some very popular sites built on it, like Twitter and these marketplaces, and I’m learning it right now for a web application a buddy and I are working on. So far I love it and it seems like it would really speed up development. Wonder if an RoR Gems category is in the near future…

Last days I was thinking at a NODE.js category :))

Categories for RoR and node.js would be awesome on here :slight_smile:

Hi, first of all let me introduce myself,
i’m Stuart, a new developer on the RoR scene. As i converted myself from PHP to RoR recently.
I have created a “like” Facebook clone using RoR.

Features and Technologies used in MyFace are:

1. Authentication - Login / Registration / Sessions done through Devise.

2. Commenting - Comment on posts and photos.

3. Liking - Polymorphic likes that work on posts,comments and pages.

4. Photo Albums - Photos are uploaded through FilePicker and stored on Amazon S3. Photo Modals load through Ajax and are commentable on.

5. Profiles - Make your own profile, complete with cover pictures and wall posts.

6. Display Picture Editing - Add effects and customize your display picture through the aviary API, which is connected to Filepicker.

7. Messaging and Real Time Chat - Send long messages to your friends. Or message them in a real time chat, similar to Facebooks. Which includes presence and typing notifications.

8. Real Time Notifications - Receive notifications in real time when your friends comment on / like your posts or post on your profile.

9. Events - Make events which are displayed on a jQuery Calender, attend, decline and post on the event page.

10. Pages - Make a page and post to it privately. Other users can like and post to your page.

11. Friending - Requests / Friends / Unfriending.

12. News Feed - News feed of yours and your friends posts, shown in a news feed with infinite scroll.

13. Multi Model Search - Search for your friends / events and pages through one search form.

I would love to beable to sell this script, as it has all the essentual thiings a social network should have, it is far more advanced than most script out for sale today.

i vote for a RoR catorgory to be added.

What @dtbaker said from 3 years ago still stands:

dtbaker said

I’m not sure there is a market for RoR applications just yet? not enough hosting providers supporting it - and RoR apps tend to be large & custom built (like this marketplace) - not simple scripts that could be plugged in easily to any existing website like PHP.

But hopefully this will change over time - so certainly keep learning it and making apps!

Most Ruby/Rails apps are custom builds for very specific development projects with limited reuse. There aren’t “killer apps” such as wordpress written in RoR that drive the market like you see with PHP.

In addition, the Ruby community is very strongly open source, and it’s very rare that Ruby devs would sell code as a product. It’s much more common for people to just post bits of code for free on github. Most people using RoR would be building something else using it, rather than just buying code/apps written in ruby and hosting them somewhere. It’s a totally different ecosystem.

We all love Ruby on Rails though. The marketplace sites use it, and we’d love to see it as a category. I just doubt it’ll happen any time soon though.

• disclaimer, I’m just a RoR dev building the marketplaces, and don’t have a lot to do day to day with deciding what categories are on here, so this is just my opinion

PS, if you’re in Melbourne, Australia, and looking for Ruby on Rails work… http://www.envato.com/careers/open-jobs :smiley:

jayc said

Last days I was thinking at a NODE.js category :))

Would be soooo awesome!!

This is how I learn’t Ruby on Rails. The best part of it was interactive rather than just reading straight from a book.

http://railsforzombies.org/ - It is endorsed by RoR