Can you sell to more than one customer with the license? Support told me no...?

I’m a bit confused… I asked support if I use a video clip from Envato Elements as a part of a larger film, can I sell that film to more than one person…? They said “no.” Like, I can’t sell it through my website, or on iTunes, or anywhere. Or if I do, I’d have to get a new license for every customer, even though it’s the same product… Is that right?

It just doesn’t seem right to me, but I’ve had multiple emails with them where the support person confirms it. I’ve read the license pretty thoroughly and it doesn’t seem to forbid it. I mean, it’s a commercial license, but maybe that’s just now how Elements works…?

Please clarify!

Thanks!

No you can’t, Elements is a single license per item “download” so if you were to resell the item, you would need to create a new license for each one you sell. Elements is aimed primarily at people who will create a project made up of many items and then sell it to one client e.g. a website with a video and images.

Can’t you buy the video you want through Videohive directly as the license on there lets you resell the item as part of a much larger product.

Elements license: https://elements.envato.com/license-terms
Videohive Video license: https://videohive.net/licenses/video

Thanks Gareth!

It seems like a really weird business model to me, but I’m guessing I’m just not their target demo. I did read the license deeply, and it doesn’t say anything about one download. It does say “broad commercial use” and that “distribution” is allowed (which certainly implies more than one customer) some of the license language is in direct conflict with the notion that it’s single customer only. Like:

"However, you can print an image as a book cover and sell copies of that book, as the primary value of the book is from the writing/contents of the book and not the image itself."

It clearly says “copies” and not “one copy” so the license page language really needs to be examined if this is truly the case. It’s really confusing if Envato Elements truly wants you to track every sale and fill out another single license for every book you sell…

I could just use VideoHive sure, but I thought the whole idea of a subscription was to save money by having broad access to a lot of assets, instead of just paying for each one individually? That was why I was interested.

I have no interest in “redistributing as stock” as I’d want to use the elements in larger commercial projects. Just can’t wrap my head around how this is possibly not allowed…?

So strange. Has anyone here on the forum used a Elements item in a product they sold more than one copy of?

it also says under highlights:

Clear guidelines on what’s not allowed
Some common-sense limitations do apply, as set out below:
You can’t re-sell, or re-distribute items;
You can’t use items in on-demand services; and
You generally can’t use items as the basis for merchandising. For example, printing a logo from Elements straight onto a T-shirt is not allowed. See clause 13 below for the relevant terms and conditions.

I think I was pretty clear that I don’t want to “re-distribute” the item. I want to distribute, which it says is allowed.

Re-distributing would be if I took a video clip and tried to re-sell it as my own, unchanged. I want to incorporate it into a larger creative project, which the license clearly states is allowed.

Does that seem to make sense?

I think clause 13 is pretty clear, unless it’s just a mistake the lawyers made…

For clarity, End Products where skill and effort have been applied to incorporate the Item into a larger design (such as with text and other graphics/images) or used as product packaging are not considered merchandising and are allowed.

I know what you want to do, but the wording on Elements can be read misread so it’s not 100% clear, re-distributing is as far as I am used too, term used to resell it as part of another project.

#11 covers this:

You can’t re-distribute the Item as stock, in a tool or template, or with source files. You can’t do this with an Item either on its own or bundled with other items, and even if you modify the Item. You can’t re-distribute or make available the Item as-is or with superficial modifications. These things are not allowed even if the re-distribution is for free.

well… the license page pretty clearly spells out what the difference is…

For clarity, End Products where skill and effort have been applied to incorporate the Item into a larger design (such as with text and other graphics/images) or used as product packaging are not considered merchandising and are allowed.

For example you can’t print an image out as a poster and sell copies of that poster, as the primary value of the poster is from the image itself. However, you can print an image as a book cover and sell copies of that book, as the primary value of the book is from the writing/contents of the book and not the image itself.

I can’t think of a clearer example than the one they created… It doesn’t seem like it can even be misread. What am I missing?

@KingDog will be able to put you in touch with the people who can clarify 100%

Thanks Gareth! Though I don’t really understand, is he gonna contact me, or should I reach out to him?

Here’s where you can ask the experts - Elements Help Ticket

:smiley:

Thanks KingDog!

I’m guessing you may not have read the title of this post… : ).

That was my first step, I just can’t make sense of how support is saying it’s not possible, when their own license page contradicts that…

Of course you can sell your item. The license specifies that you cannot sell the thing on its own. What is the purpose of using assets then if you’re not to allowed to sell your work?

Here’s a quote from their licensing page:

You get broad commercial rights, so you can use items with confidence on work or personal projects.

I’m not the license expert unfortunately, but I do know it can get pretty complex especially in special cases. But I would go with whatever decision the Elements Help team is giving.

Thanks!

That’s what I thought!!!

But support said no. What do I do?

Contact the support again and explain again, in detail, what do you want to do. Also, send them links and quotes to their own licensing page.

But what if they’re wrong…? I mean it locks out a huge part of their market.

You couldn’t sell: Any app, books with images, films, albums, T-shirts, coffee mugs, the list seems really long…

Oh man. I totally did. It’s like 10 emails back and forth.

If that’s the case the whole point of EE is BS. Let us now how it ends 'cause I’m really curious.

Oh, btw, if you get the same answer from support ask to escalate to a manager.

I guess I could. I don’t really want to seem like a jerk though… Maybe I should and post back here.