Best way to edit templates

I’m sure this is not a new question, so thank you for answering. I’m used to editing my own CSS and HTML, but I was hoping to get something from ThemeForest where I (and others who dont know code) could collaborate using a central management area (for text, photos, blog posts, colors, etc.)

Is there a recommended software (or 3) that one could use, or are most of these templates designed with that administrative functionality built in?

Essentially, what are my editing options for a group of admins with varying levels of skill? Or, do I have to ask each developer to tell me what’s included?

Thank you,
Andy

hi abcarb: almost every item that is on sale here has a help document where you find all the editing and customizing information you need.

So it will be pretty much easy for you to edit them :wink:

hi abcarb: almost every item that is on sale here has a help document where you find all the editing and customizing information you need.

So it will be pretty much easy for you to edit them :wink:

Totally agree with onuro, and that’s the problem with some of the buyers that they don’t read the help file and start asking lots of questions before reading the help file.

I dont see how I can review any help files without actually buying the template first. Can I get at least a sample HELP file so I know what i’m getting into?

I like the admin skins and many of the designs, but I suppose I need to somehow link the two together…that’s the part i’m not sure I understand. Does it require extensive reprogramming or is it relatively simple?

I don’t know if you are aware that admin skins being sold in TF are most likely only the html+css+javascript and they are not ready for use, they are really only a skin that you could use to help you cms (content management system), so yes, it would require some good programming skills first to make a cms and than to make it work with some of the website themes we’ve got here in TF. i hope you understood that.

About documentation, you can always check weyher its well documented or not in the sidebar on the right of any theme, where info like compatibilities are also shown. Some themes are providing acess to their help files before you buy it through live preview, try browsing around to see if you find any since i don’t have any examples in mind.

Thanks everyone!
EOS, that’s extremely helpful too. I’m trying to get something off the ground rather quickly, but be able to hand it over to others so they can manage through a back-end tool.

How would the average individual buying one of these templates edit them? In other words, what is a recommended app to modify these? I’ve used Kompozer/NVU, and Notepad:), among others.

AC

How would the average individual buying one of these templates edit them? In other words, what is a recommended app to modify these? I've used Kompozer/NVU, and Notepad:), among others.

I believe what you want to know is what do you need to edit the themes being sold at TF. That’s kind easy one.
There are basicaly three types of themes being sold in TF:

Cms ready themes - Wordpress and Joomla:

They are already ready to go with Wordpress and Joomla, basically you just need to set them up with the cms and its ready to use. Wordpress and Joomla are well know CMS’s and as far as i know most of the themes for them here are well docummented. I like wordpress better and it has far more options here than joomla.
The good part about them is that there’s no need for changing any html or css if you only need to change the texts or images or so, it’s all done through a already well known CMS, meaning there are a lot of help around the web for it.
Visit wordpress.com and wordpress.org to know more about it.

Html Templates:

These are only Html+Css and sometimes Javascript, and to edit them you would need a Html editor or any other tool you like, i don’t know much about windows apps that can do so, sorry about that.

There are also Psd files:

These are only images layered in photoshop so you can do the html +css yourself, sometimes you have your own way to code and doesn’t like the part of getting to understand someone’s else code, and reather do it by yourself. Than it fits you perfectly.

Damn. This got alittle bit big. I’ll stop it here hehe
Cheers.

This last post was exactly what I need to know… even 2 years later!

But… I’m having trouble trying to figure out how to edit a site template that contains only .php files no .html I’m familiar with and work with Dreamweaver, but have only used it for CSS and HTML, not PHP, and when I bring up the ThemeForest template in Dreamweaver it is definitely not WSYWIG. Any help as to how to modify/edit these type of themes.
It’s Biosphera, btw.

Thanks!
Deborah

Hello Deborah,

I don’t know what type of php this template makes use of, but you simply might need to install mamp or wamp to run websites locally, or learn some php techniques to understand the basic of editing php files.

Either way, here is an amazing series : http://blog.themeforest.net/screencasts/diving-into-php-video-series/ by Jeffrey Way. This first episode is on how to setup a localhost, and the following episodes are about php itself.

Hope it’s usefull

Hi everyone !
I bought WebPoint. Premium HTML Template. I will prepare English and Turkish web files. And image names must be different (logo, …) But ? couldnot edit image names on it.
CAn Anyone show me away to solve this problem. I am not coder that’s why I am getting

http://themeforest.net/item/webpoint-premium-html-template/full_screen_preview/122170

difficult. Thank you in advance
Karahan

Is there a complete video tutorial for wordpress for absolute beginners from Jeff? I mean I wanna know how to make a wordpress theme from scratch, any link?

hi my name is zubair recently i purchase topdeal theme from themeforest and when i start editing its logo not change so please tell me how can i change its logo my email zubairmaher123@gmail.com

Hi @zubairmaher,

Random thread from year 2009 is not the best place to ask that kind of questions :slight_smile:
Which exactly theme you have problems with? There are several “TopDeal” themes on ThemeForest.

Thanks,
Luca

Closing old thread but if you are still having issues then talk to the author