NEW how to use a HTML template I want to purchase ????

Hi, I’m fairly new to coding. I want to purchase a HTML Template but I don’t know how to make it into a website. What are the steps to creating a website without using Wordpress?

Can I upload the HTML code into blogger? I am already familiar with blogger.

Can anyone please let me know how to use the template. Thank you!

Blogger templates can incorporate HMTL but from here it will need to come from the dedicated listings: http://themeforest.net/category/blogging/blogger

Each file from any category comes with documentation outlining how it is put together, some of the features and some instructions on modifying part s of it. this documentation is NOT a tutorial on editing code.

Are you sure there is not a WP version of the file you like? Maybe the author is planning on making one?

The author may (it is NOT obligatory so do not assume it) be able to point you in the right direction with stuff but again please be aware that buyers here are purchasing a working a sis template not a tutorial in web design and while site templates on here are relatively easy to modify if you understand a little about how HMTL/CSS works there an assumption of some form of knowledge before purchase. Otherwise you could always hire a freelancer to help you.

Good luck with your project

Thanks for replying but with that being said,

Where or how do I implement the HTML template? Is there a website like blogger/wordpress where I just upload the template?

Basically, what do I do after I download the HTML template to make a website?

You need to modify the content i.e. HMTL pages, images, any CSS or JS you need to alter then upload it using FTP to your own hosted domain. There is not really the equivalent of Wordpress/blogger etc but there are some very cheap or even free sites to get domains and hosting.

Ok I think I get it now;

But how do I edit/modify the content? Is there a program I should use or can I just use TextEdit on my Macbook?

Hello, I’m in the same boat. Was there any answer to this?

Do you use something like Dreamweaver to edit the content?

Any help to put me in the right direction is appreciated!

Is there a tutorial somewhere or steps??
ie)

1. Purchase and Download html template files
  2. Open, edit and save in HTML editor (Dreamweaver)
  3. Create X, Y pages
  4. Upload via FTP client
    etc
    etc

You don’t need Dreamweaver only Notepad or one of the countless free HTML editors online. Open HTML files in those - edit the copy. Open image files in image editor change those and either save using the same file name or update the image path in the HTML to anew name and just drop ALL files in the template into your host root directory.

If that daunts you or makes no sense hire a freelancer to help you as long term it will save you time and money and stress

This makes sense thank you so much!

I’m frustrated already and I haven’t even bought a template. The advice to hire a freelancer is a cop out. Charlie4282 asked if he could use Dreamweaver. Unified never answered, saying simply you don’t need Dreamweaver, you could use notepad, or hire a freelancer. There are hundreds of comments from people who don’t understand how to work with the templates. This is like an echo chamber that is NOT helping Envato expand the marketplace for its otherwise very appealing products. I use Dreamweaver myself because I can produce a website without knowing any coding at all. But I can’t figure out what products templates will work in this software or not. I’d suggest that Envato devote some time to developing a Q&A section addressing the unknowns facing the non-technical consumers out here and I’m certain it would be time well spent. How about a glossary of terms? What the heck is parallax? Retina ready and why should we care? Which kinds of templates require what kind of editing software? As is, the burden falls on every author to deal with all the dumb questions from we, the unskilled, who simply want to produce a stylish, functional website.

Yeah, so sad that there is soo little real help available on this "very basic topic"
To make more sense of @Charlie4282, see this helpful page too http://www.ehow.com/how_8490631_upload-html-theme-themeforest.html

woodkern said

I’m frustrated already and I haven’t even bought a template. The advice to hire a freelancer is a cop out. Charlie4282 asked if he could use Dreamweaver. Unified never answered, saying simply you don’t need Dreamweaver, you could use notepad, or hire a freelancer. There are hundreds of comments from people who don’t understand how to work with the templates. This is like an echo chamber that is NOT helping Envato expand the marketplace for its otherwise very appealing products. I use Dreamweaver myself because I can produce a website without knowing any coding at all. But I can’t figure out what products templates will work in this software or not. I’d suggest that Envato devote some time to developing a Q&A section addressing the unknowns facing the non-technical consumers out here and I’m certain it would be time well spent. How about a glossary of terms? What the heck is parallax? Retina ready and why should we care? Which kinds of templates require what kind of editing software? As is, the burden falls on every author to deal with all the dumb questions from we, the unskilled, who simply want to produce a stylish, functional website.

First off I (charlie4282) use the trademark Unified as my avatar so am the same person.

Second I did clearly answer the question 'You don’t need Dreamweaver only Notepad or one of the countless free HTML editors online. Open HTML files in those – edit the copy. Open image files in image editor change those and either save using the same file name or update the image path in the HTML to anew name and just drop ALL files in the template into your host root directory.'

For what its worth to answer your question 'But I can’t figure out what products templates will work in this software or not ANY ‘site template’ or “wordpress theme” (i.e. the PHP files and CSS) can be opened in Dreamweaver as it is an editing tool for these mark ups and code.

That said you need to understand code to modify it properly and if it is WordPress for example then you need to obviously use the platform to make it work unlike HTML where you can just edit and upload it directly.

For what its worth there are several experienced authors and other in this community who go out of the way to support and help people form beginners to authors who have been rejected etc.

That said there is a degree of expected knowledge when purchasing a file, and (not mean offensively) envato is not a hand holding tutorial site.

The fact is the idea of a ‘glossary’ or ‘list of software’ (which by the way is difficult because there are so many options and alternatives but for reference PHP, CSS, HTML, JS etc can ALL be opened in Dreamweaver, Notepad of any other text editor.) would not solve the problem - ( not aimed at anyone in particular) too much ‘support’ etc form envato would cloud expectations.

MOST beginners even if told what to do would still struggle and what they really want is someone to help them build the site - and this is too much to ask of envato, authors or anyone else. Hence the freelancer comment. Just like anything else in life if you do not know how to do it you hire help.

You will need to understand at least basics of HTML and CSS to use a template from TF.

There are free text editors out there - it’s good to have one with color coding (it highlights your errors) - i recommend Sublime Text on mac.

Check out this excellent training series by Jeffrey Way, a great teacher of web skills: https://courses.tutsplus.com/courses/30-days-to-learn-html-css

The envato marketplaces won’t hold your hand to learn, but the envato tuts will!

Good luck!