Behance vs. Dribbble: How I increased traffic to my profile by 400%

Originally published at: https://community.envato.com/behance-vs-dribbble-how-i-increased-traffic-to-my-profile-by-400/

Andrea Montini (nuccioclark) is an Italian digital product designer who creates custom interfaces and interactions for mobile and web applications.

As a freelance designer I have always based my work 100% on providing services to professionals, companies or startups. Yet, I had never considered working on a singular product to sell online, until the opportunity presented itself to work on a UI kit for mobile applications to sell on ThemeForest.

Having now become an author on Envato Market, I wanted to share some interesting insights about this experience and show you what can be achieved by using some simple tips and tools available to everyone for free.

Working on my first product took more time than expected to complete. Over the summer I worked around my normal workload, and the amount of time it ended up taking exceeded my expectations. In the end it took more than four months to complete the kit and make it suitable for ThemeForest.

I didn’t want all that time and effort to go to waste. So, from the moment the item went live, I worked hard to exploit every possible social channel at my disposal to drive traffic to the page, for free.

Behance2

Behance

Behance is a really popular place to showcase your portfolio. I spent two weeks on my Behance profile which became a full project presentation. It worked pretty well at the beginning, a free and effective way of advertising my product. However, it didn’t prove to be the best source of traffic.

Dribbble

Dribbble

Dribbble on the other hand was a simpler job, as it allows you to post single shots like “work in progress” posts. I uploaded this image giving an idea of what the style and quality of the final product would look like. It proved to be the right choice as, compared to Behance, that single Dribbble shot brought more traffic and a greater conversion rate in terms of sales. On October 19, the date of this Dribbble post, visits increased by 400% and sales doubled.

BehancevsDribbble

Why Dribbble was more effective than Behance

I posted my portfolio on Behance in September before my item was launched, whereas my Dribbble post went up following the item’s launch in November. This gave me an indication as to how much engagement can be driven by social media.

Behance screenshot

Dribbble screenshot

But the use of social media itself wasn’t the only weapon I had at my disposal. The images, descriptions and overall product presentation also likely influenced user behaviour, resulting in more conversions.

How to get the most out of Behance and Dribbble

Here are some quick tips on how to get the maximum value out of social networks like Behance and Dribbble.

Add images into item descriptions

Adding images into your item descriptions is a good way to give the user as much information as possible at a glance. In the case of my UI kit, I have shown full screen images and all the materials included within the description, as allowing buyers to see as much information as possible with minimal effort is vital.

Use targeted descriptions

The temptation to use a long description describing all your item’s great features will usually be strong, but this may not be the best strategy to attract users' attention quickly and effectively. Describe your product in a clear, short and concise way.

Use these elements carefully:

• Paragraphs
  • Bullet points
  • and, Bold words

While surfing the web, people have little to no time and get tired of reading, so your job is to provide them with key information as quickly and as accurately as possible. Use only a few paragraphs of text, up to 5 lines (ideally 3 lines) followed by a text wrap, and use bullet point lists to describe the content of your item. Highlight the words that really matter in bold, such as "mobile ui kit”, or "65 high quality screens” and only include the most important features of your item.

Add repeated calls to action

CallsToAction

Be sure to use clear and effective calls to action (CTA). Remember, the user on your page should be involved and encouraged to do something. In this case, you want the user to purchase the product and leave a 5 star review. If you’ve convinced the user of the item quality through the clarity of description and boldness of presentation, it makes their eventual decision to purchase your item easier. Now, all you have to do is convince them to leave a 5 star review, which can be achieved by repeating a clear, straightforward CTA within the description, at regular intervals (2 times, at the beginning and at the end, should be enough).

Treat your item posts as living, breathing things

Don’t limit yourself to composing these social pages once then leaving them as they are forever. Throughout the first month of sales I made at least a dozen updates, adjusting the way I presented products, changing images, messing around with the image order within product posts, altering descriptions, and, as I updated the product itself, updating the source files with additions to the quality/quantity of the screen included.

Collect feedback and quality ratings

I must admit that it’s difficult to get users who purchase the product to leave a rating. Therefore, it’s important to include two or more calls to action inviting users to leave a 5 star review if they find your product is really valuable. The star rating next to the product will appear in the products list page on ThemeForest, and work as a powerful magnet for other potential buyers, especially when the other items in your category still have no ratings at all.

Ask your old clients to add a rating

If you have clients with whom you have worked, ask them to buy and honestly evaluate the product. They may well be happy enough to leave a 5 star rating…

After testing out these tips I’ve seen the interest of potential buyers increase. Currently my product “Bolder” is the best item in the Sketch Templates category of ThemeForest, in terms of sales and quality evaluation, which is a very positive result.

So, try these tips out for yourself and find out how easy it is to increase your visits, and potentially your sales.

Check out Andrea's profile on Themeforest, Behance & Dribbble

9 Likes

Wow, interesting info :smiley: Thanks for this awesome article :slightly_smiling:
Have you tried uploading a new shot at the same time (& analytic) on both Dribbble & Behance?

The problem with Dribbble is, that 90% of Themeforest users are not good enough designers to post shots on Dribbble. Please don’t search for dribbble invite and then upload some horrible screen of your wordpress theme thumbnail and expect bigger traffic.

In order to get relevant on Dribbble, you will need to upload reguarly and grow your followings, and then you can expect something out of it. Quick shortcuts are uploading great mobile design / great dashboard design / unique (not themeforest that we know in the last two years) designs - with that you can get 100+ likes without followers and get noticed (and grow fan base as well).

Please, please don’t be that guy that wants to take advantage of Dribbble to market your items. Create value to the community, produce high end designs and then you can expect something in return.

8 Likes

Nice article, even if the majority of the steps that were explained are at the base of marketing and how internet works. For instance, It is not a great surprise to see people preferring photos over text (in the majority of the cases).

In my opinion, I think that showing the whole project on behance before the launch of the product was a great mistake, because all the traffic that he has gotten was wasted. People will rarely subscribe to a newsletter, save your page’s link or even come back more times to see if you released the product.

About the description - When we talk about Behance, you will probably have no problems with that, because the whole project will be composed by images, even the texts.
The real item’s description will be written in the “Project Description” in the right sidebar. I suggest to abound with terms and descriptions in that specific part, because all of them will be searchable, so it’s like adding more tags than your actual 15-tags limit. Same thing for Themeforest’s description. Add visual images at the very top, and then proceed with lots of details and texts, because they are all searchable.

Dribbble is completely different, and I have to agree with the article.

As @maartin said, Dribbble is well known as a Designer / UI/UX / Gif about Design - community which evaluate beauty rather than usability or real/complete projects. If you have built a follower’s community of at least 800-1000 people, you will be sure that everything you post will be considered gold.

@leafcolor I believe it is mathematically certain that if you post more than 1 shot (and it goes to the top of the popular’s page) you will get more visibility. Also, you have always to consider that these platforms offers benefits like features in different categories. Behance has a vast set of categories that will share your projects, getting you more visibility, likes and comments. Dribbble doesn’t offer that, but if you manage to be at the very top of the popular’s shot, you will be featured in the weekly’s mail, which is obviously great for visibility.

1 Like

Many thanks to all who develops the talents in the world market!:slightly_smiling:

If someone need invites, so go to the details with this shot. It’ll explain to you the way to get inviets to Dribbble.com

As for WooRockets Team, we use Dribbble to update WorkInProgress status. Here is the example.

Hope it helps with contribution to Dribbble experience :slightly_smiling:

Very nice, Ive never heard of Dribble until today, I think i will do some tests myself and hope for the same results!!!, Thanks for the post.

Quick question. How did you track sales conversions from each source?

1 Like

I’m looking for a dribbble invitation . :relaxed:
https://dribbble.com/thezoc

An example with my work : https://forums.envato.com/t/my-homepage-concept-inspired-by-unstock/
Thank you and thank you again for this informations !

Hello.
Is there something similar for musicians…?)

1 Like

I want to know too

Hey, thanks, cool stuff! I’ve tried to use unordered lists in the description but it’s removed when I publish, they maybe changed something?

Andrea thank you so much for this post. I actually had quite a bit of success with Behance and i just got invited on Dribbble so will now have to see what Dribbble can do.

Offering freebie via Behance has shown some very good results.

Here’s my Behance Profile if someone is interested.

My Dribbble Profile

Lovely post. I’ve been on Behance for a long time and it was really good in the beginning but recently all gone really quiet. Me personally prefer Dribbble but since i join i still waiting someone to invite me so i can use it in full capacity. I am finding really difficult to be invited.

Do you have any tips on this matter?

@DESIGNROOM1229 here are the tips https://dribbble.com/shots/2300952-Daily-Dribbble-Invites-by-WooRockets

:smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @woorockets, much appreciated.

1 Like

very helpfull post

I feel like i really need to refresh my behance profile. I will use some of your tips for sure. Thanks a lot