Which cart is growing in popularity - WOOCOMMERCE or OPENCART? And which one would you choose?

Finally, it doesn’t matter if it is Magento, BigCommerce, Shopify or WooCommerce. If you don’t have the traffic, you can’t sell. Even if you are on some Enterprise level ecommerce solution like Hybris, Oracle ATG or IBM Websphere or some custom made cart.

While WooCommerce still doesn’t handle multi store functionality nor any native ERP solution (other than using Zapier to connect), with the right extensions you are able to

1. Manage tens of thousands of products
  2. Easily import or export products
  3. Easily export sales and inventory data
  4. One click restore even for large sites, by using Vaultpress. Restoration takes only a few minutes as compared to Magento’s solution. And you get hourly backups that don’t choke your server, especially if you have a large installation of 5GB or more. (or even 50GB, the price stays the same, $15/mo)
  5. Well optimised for SEO
  6. Able to handle tens of thousands of unique visitors/minute with hyperdb and server clustering

If the ability to handle and manage tens of thousands of products isn’t what an enterprise solution needs, then what else does it need? :slight_smile: What other advantages does Magento has, other than it being a native ecommerce solution? It is still based on PHP, and it takes up much more resources compared to WooCommerce, Prestashop and Opencart.

@ Leokoo #1 — I don’t think it’s fair to say Tom misrepresented any data. Nor does every dataset have to reference every other dataset. BuiltWith certainly doesn’t. It’s your job to understand any analysis is not gospel, but a view into data. Tom’s work gives another view and I’m it’s available.

@ Leokoo #2 — What about eCommerce experts like moi? I consult with billion dollar eCommerce empires like eBay and some others I can’t name publicly. My work has been a cover story for Internet Retailer and I speak regularly at eCommerce conferences about multi-device design. I think it’s safe to say I have a solid grasp on the eCommerce space.

Small to medium sized business (SMB) means $5M to $25M in revenue. A company with 50-250 employees better be making at least that much. Anything smaller is a micro-business. The scale is defined by true enterprises conducting well north of that.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_and_medium-sized_enterprises

Many (many) Magento implementations transact millions per month. The customers WooCommerce serves aren’t small they’re microscopic by comparison. It’s a very different market, and Magento isn’t competing with them.

SMBs and enterprise businesses have ERP integrations, tax compliance and reporting, CRM integration, marketing platforms, CDNs, multi-channel sales, operations and fulfillment logistics, and much more than a simple online store.

Having said that, Magento’s open-source community is very deep and offers the robustness of enterprise-level software for extremely minimal investment. There are tons of micro businesses using Magento and growing without any hiccups. Just wait till a WooCommerce store gets audited for PCI-DSS compliance — hint, it will fail.

The features you’re saying WooCommerce does better with plugins exist in Magento out-of-box. And what you’re saying is wrong with Magento can go equally wrong with third-party plugins for WooCommerce, Shopify, or any platform. Building solid applications is not easy or cheap. Businesses invest differently depending on their scale and goals.

Magento isn’t expensive to maintain, it’s the right price. Many extensions have annual licensing and businesses love that. Why? Because it means they’ll be supporting the product next year. That’s good for both businesses and how they grow together. You’re even complaining that WooCommerce changed their licensing to be sustainable (god forbid, Envato wakes up and follows suit), which real businesses (honestly) see as a positive not a negative.

@ Leokoo #3 — Magento has eBay backing it, and a huge resource in eBay Enterprise for growing an SMB. These things aren’t obvious to small shops because it’s a different world.

Nobody chooses platforms based on how many products it can hold. Servers are all commoditized and dirt cheap. This doesn’t differentiate platforms. While you’re touting WooCommerce for doing the basics of online commerce with plugins, remember that’s the minimum to transact.

Magento and ultimately any platform is only as strong as its ecosystem. WordPress is primarily hobbyist-driven and Magento is professional-driven. Sure somebody can build you a WooCommerce store for $150. But nobody builds you a WooCommerce store for $500,000. People do that with Magento. Believe me there are plenty of reasons as I stated above why it’s a better market fit for serious businesses (particularly those who aim to not only compete but succeed in the SMB or enterprise market).

Thanks Gravitydept,

Appreciate the length and depth of your reply. Indeed, WooCommerce only has limited ERP integration for now, but it is bound to improve. However, Magento finds it hard to ascend to the needs of the enterprise community

https://www.nbs-system.co.uk/blog-2/benchmark-of-e-commerce-solutions.html

The problem with so called enterprise pricing is that, everyone starts small and with a limited budget. Just like Amazon.com was started in the garage of Jeff Bezos and I believe, with a limited budget as well.

Most ecommerce experts keep telling others that unless they invest in some expensive system, extensions and customisation, they are just small time players. But this isn’t true. Small time players can eventually be giants in the segment.

And if you read and studied about lean startups, it is all about maximising cash flow and moving fast with a minimum budget. Of course, developers and consultants would always advice people to move upstream, but can businesses succeed with WooCommerce? Why not? :slight_smile:

And it’s interesting, but Magento’s development has stalled in the recent years, as compared to WooCommerce, Prestashop and OpenCart.

Also, WooCommerce is able to handle fulfilment logistics, operations and even CRM well. There’ll be an official CRM soon. Not all WooCommerce features are on Magento. For one, show me an equivalent to Vaultpress on Magento for about the same price.

Plus, the weaknesses in upgrading Magento vs Wordpress based WooCommerce? Please, troubleshooting a faulty plugin is so much easier than salvaging a failed update over Magento :slight_smile:

SMBs and enterprise businesses have ERP integrations, tax compliance and reporting, CRM integration, marketing platforms, CDNs, multi-channel sales, operations and fulfillment logistics, and much more than a simple online store.

Having said that, Magento’s open-source community is very deep and offers the robustness of enterprise-level software for extremely minimal investment. There are tons of micro businesses using Magento and growing without any hiccups. Just wait till a WooCommerce store gets audited for PCI-DSS compliance — hint, it will fail.

PCI-DSS compliance isn’t just software based. It is about the entire stack. I’m sure those enterprise solutions needing PCI-DSS for WooCommerce and Wordpress could refer to experts like Chris Lema or Woothemes directly :slight_smile: Or they could just sign up for something like Mijireh :slight_smile:

http://www.mijireh.com/docs/what-you-need-to-know-about-pci-compliance/

@ Leokoo — I’m all for bootstrapping and lean businesses. Platforms like Magento, WooCommerce, and Shopify can all get an ecommerce business off the ground and growing for next to no investment. It’s not true that (good) eCommerce consultants and agencies advocate for the most expensive solutions.

It’s about the right fit for each business. My point was the SMB market wouldn’t consider WooCommerce today because it makes no sense to invest highly in an add-on to a blog platform that frankenstein-ed into a CMS. That’s where a ground-up eCommerce platform becomes mandatory because it has the core APIs for integrations and features like customer segmentation / price rules that aren’t touched by shopping add-ons.

Magento’s core development has definitely not stalled, it’s accelerating but (rightly) focused on Magento 2: https://github.com/magento/magento2/commits/master

It wasn’t smooth after the eBay acquisition, but they’re on the right path now and making measurable progress month after month.

eCommerce or Magento specialized hosting always includes daily or even hourly backups that are automated. And their business is providing a full stack that’s PCI compliant. That’s why it doesn’t cost $5/month. The fact that WordPress isn’t (and never will be) PCI-DSS certified is a big red flag to anyone making eCommerce a significant part of their overall business strategy.

Sure you can get around PCI by using PayPal Express or another hosted payments flow, but redirecting off-site is not the best UX. The fact is WordPress and additionally WordPress hosting stacks are not engineered for passing a PCI-DSS audit.

That’s why micro-businesses are much better off using Shopify in my opinion. For the price of hosting you relieve all the management, security, upgrades, and hassle of starting a store to focus on the business not the technology.

WooCommerce (nor Magento) can compete with $15/mo for Shopify at that scale. But as revenue creeps up the cracks do show, and the need for a more extensible platform and enterprise-like integrations becomes apparent.

In the end, it’s the companies who make the right investments who succeed not those who bootstrap the hardest.

Personally I am not a fan of woocommerce, Opencart, prestashop or Magento are far better, even when on a tight budget. WP is awesome but it’s not an ecommerce system and no matter how many plugins you add to woo, you will never match the scale of an ecommerce system.

With woo, you’re going to quickly hit obstacles and spend a lot of money on customisation and plugins to keep it running, while the ecommerce systems are built for growth and power some of the biggest sites on the web, It may cost more to host them, and get someone to look after it for you but you will get a much better solution.

I would rather invest $2k in a decent Opencart install than $1k in a woocommerce install

Woo is great for small sellers that aren’t going to grow (I have a couple of clients like this) but if you want to keep adding products, add more features and sell to more countries then you need the flexiblilty that comes with a dedicated ecommerce system.

GravityDept said

WooCommerce (nor Magento) can compete with $15/mo for Shopify at that scale. But as revenue creeps up the cracks do show, and the need for a more extensible platform and enterprise-like integrations becomes apparent.

In the end, it’s the companies who make the right investments who succeed not those who bootstrap the hardest.

Sorry, not getting this portion. Do you mean that WooCommerce & Magneto cannot compete for $15/mo with Shopify, or they can compete for $15/mo?

Gareth_Gillman said

Personally I am not a fan of woocommerce, Opencart, prestashop or Magento are far better, even when on a tight budget. WP is awesome but it’s not an ecommerce system and no matter how many plugins you add to woo, you will never match the scale of an ecommerce system.

With woo, you’re going to quickly hit obstacles and spend a lot of money on customisation and plugins to keep it running, while the ecommerce systems are built for growth and power some of the biggest sites on the web, It may cost more to host them, and get someone to look after it for you but you will get a much better solution.

I would rather invest $2k in a decent Opencart install than $1k in a woocommerce install

Woo is great for small sellers that aren’t going to grow (I have a couple of clients like this) but if you want to keep adding products, add more features and sell to more countries then you need the flexiblilty that comes with a dedicated ecommerce system.

Actually, it costs more to run a WooCommerce store than OpenCart. However, feature to feature, WooCommerce can do more than Opencart and its current set of extensions. I’ve spent a number of days going through, purchasing and installing OpenCart extensions on a new site, but still prefer WooCommerce :slight_smile:

Again, as OpenCart and Magento are all built on PHP, what difference in performance does it have compared to WooCommerce? :slight_smile: Have you tried installing all 3 with 20k of products and see which is easier to manage? :slight_smile:

Btw GravityDept, what is wrong with using a hosted solution for payment gateways? It removes the need to make your entire stack PCI compliant. In comparison, the majority of Magento users are on Magento Community, which isn’t PCI compliant as well :slight_smile:

And the solution? Upgrade to professional?

p/s: Gareth, Opencart isn’t PCI compliant too

Me and a friend are working on a store, but were not sure about the right script (WooCommerce vs Magento vs Opencart, etc) either. Have read the above, but still as confused. Is there a more recent post we can refer to?

We want to build a multilanguage shop where we want to sell about 50-200 items. Our products have color and size variations and we also have grouped products. We want to ship internationally, so having multiple currencies would be nice. For the payment methods, we want iDeal, PayPal and Creditcard.

We both have limited knowledge of HTML and PHP. So the easier it is to setup, the better. Also, if someone is going to recommend one for us, which we really do hope, can you recommend a fast and reliable webhost (europe)?

just a bug you can delete this message

I always used woo Commerce. So I recommend it :slight_smile: