Videohive has stopped (Part 1)

Excellent post. I agree with Alex.

Great. Approve!

Alex, I fully agree. Very good ideas.

@Wayman, you think in the right direction. I hope that other writers support. And Envato management, Collis (@Collis) and Mark (@MarkBrodhuber) will pay attention.

Best Regards

Envato degraded instead of development

Keeping my fingers crossed :slight_smile: Hi Alex, thanks for this post!

I agree 100%. thanks for post, Alex!:thumbsup:

this is important, but we can forget this…or that :slight_smile:

OMG! Not a “Celebration” post with more than one answer! 7 years to realise that envato = money, not about art, not about promotion independent artists, just money! Yes, it is looks pretty friendly outside, but inside - no thank you.

Great points Wayman and there are a lot more imho! Envato should answer on this matter and most importantly to answer with actions.

I had a similar problem in youtube with one of my items… but i was lucky enough to fix it quickly but i guess that’s because it wasn’t a giant as Sony is.

Btw… i flagged it for “Notify Staff” … i think a forum moderator should do that too…

I fully support your thoughts! Now I understand why I have no desire to do a big project. :slight_smile:

Alex, great post and corajous initiative to talk about all of these points. I agree with you in all of them. For me, as an old author, since 2008, unfortunately I need to agree that VideoHive has stopped! At least in my point of view…maybe in number of sales, and general amount, VH just growed lately. But as a profitable work for individual authors and reference of good quality, not more. In first I always will be very gratefull for all that I conquest and learned here on this marketplace. During good years was my mainly income and made possible to realize many dreams. Work remotely and with freedom, became reality. I made good friends, and customers! Many of then have remained strong until today.

But for me, the main and saddest reason for the VideoHive has stopped, was the criterion of similarity. It’s simply gone! Now the number of the similars ( read exactly the same) items are unbelievable. This is bad for all of us, old or new authors. Customers, reviewers… Let’s think about a new customer that type in search " Parallax Slideshow". He need to look 36 pages, about 1.080 projects almost identical. I think he will need to choose randomly or need to have a lot of patience. Let’s think about new authors point of view. After some quick look around He can see that He just need to copy one of the Populars files, and change the photos, and text…(sometimes) and start to make money. He don’t need to think or create nothing, just copy, if not, open another file and save as, and change the main things!. And yes, this is being accept here!

I remember in very begin, in 2009, I received a “Warning Violation” notification about a project that I developed using Contact Sheet concept. The project isn’t similar to the original file. (from another site). Another camera, anothers colors, fonts…The only similarity was about image placeholder that uses the same concept. As a designer, I understood the point and agreed with it. It was not about the use the same file but about the concept and main idea. In these time, I felt protected as an author. So each author follow for a personal line…always trying to stay away from the others. Searching your identity, and trying to be innovative as much as possible.

Now the game have changed…and for me it’s ok, if the marketplace favors simpler files and not estimulates the out of box ones. This is a choose and probably should be make sense. But others authors CAN’T do the same, copying other projects…The reviewers CAN’T approve them. This is not make sense and for me It’s a shot in the foot.

So, this is the main reason, at least for me, in lost motivation and stay away from a long time from VH.
I had write about this many times in forum. Trying to prove that others authors was copyiing me…but sincerely no one from Envato have cared about. And I just stoped to request any help from support or forum.

As Alex said:
Videohive has stopped, but maybe it is a high time to move further? I hope so!

Sincerely,
Caio - Yo.

15 Likes

Alex, great post, thanks!

I think its very important problem. Great post Alex. I want that the management of Envato saw these problems.
Videohive has to move forward. :muscle:

1 Like

Absolutely true! No desire now to make something real cool, something original, you afraid of that it is not in trend and can be rejected.The huge amount of same projects not only by all authors but even of single author, he just change music, photos, video and some colors and Envato approve it as a new project. Im waiting fo ENVATO reaction too. Good job, Wayman!

1 Like

thumbs up to the Wayman!

1 Like

Really fantastic commentary @Wayman… I want to quickly acknowledge everyone else who also chimed in so far, and thank everyone for being constructive!

While I’m not in a position to comment directly on any of the issues raised at this time, I can tell you that we’re actively working behind the scenes to improve many of the areas you guys have mentioned here. I’ll be actively following this thread, and promise to raise all of these points internally for discussion.

30 Likes

Thank you, Mark, for the quick answer. I know that you cannot take concrete actions alone because this is the work of a whole team, but I hope, I really hope that many of these said things here will be taken into consideration for future updates and changes.

6 Likes

Add new licences + separate the footages and the templates = i am happy )

1 Like

Great ideas in this post! I’m more 6 years at videohive and feel same that Videohive has stopped

One of the biggest problem I think now is licenses… But about licenses we must recognize that in most cases it does not work right now. In addition that we do not have enough different kinds of licenses as audiojungle have now, there is another problem. Buyers often buy the regular license but use both extended and nobody can protect authors by this… For example, most of my products are motion graphics for the LED screens at the show, and I know that my customers use it more than once, because this abstract graphics designed for different music and it is used again and again. This is special part in event industry and I know how it works because I work in this industry too. But I have not much sales with extended license, the majority of my customers are buying items with regular license, but use it repeatedly.

In addition, I think that the licenses do not work not because most buyers are dishonest, but simply because they often do not know about the existence of the license. I think this is also the problem of the interface, because the license can be found in the drop-down menu that does not compel to action. They simply click “buy now” and move on.

I hope that envato serious about this post and take some action as soon as possible. I’m sure that they have long been working on new licenses for the videohive, but I was confident that these changes will occur earlier. Many waited for this as soon as it happened at audiojungle, but this has not happened so far, and it’s really unfair to authors when the buyer acquires video and audio over an extended license with such incompatible price.

Also, there are many other problems that already Alex wrote and I agree with everything he wrote.

Hope together we will Make Videohive Great Again!
:grinning:

Thanks!

10 Likes