Reviewer gone wild ?

Hi there, I need opinion/advice from fellow experienced authors that may have had similar issues, i’m gonna try to stay short:

• 5-6 weeks ago we have submitted our WP theme, and got soft rejection (small issues like, woocommmerce files needed to be updated, theme check issues, and couple of CSS minor issues).

• After about 2-3 rejections we got approved for about 3-5 minutes before reviewer had it disabled, later saying he approved it by mistake, naming couple of “new” issues. After we kept fixing those issues and submitting it again, after couple of times he said we would get hard rejection next time if we don’t fix everything, after which he did reject us hard, here’s the thing, the reason he got us hard rejection is very weird, cause issue he hard rejected us for was fixed about 3-4 uploads before, after i told him it was his mistake or either cache issues or something, cause there was no way he could have experienced those issues that were fixed for more then 2 weeks (i told him that after i re-upload it from start), he said something like, yeah you were right, you fixed couple of thing but here’s more now , and then rejected us again, after that he kept on hard rejecting us for 4 times in a row, now saying that the theme is outdated, incomplete etc, which for 6 weeks he never mentioned anything, in fact he didn’t mention anything regarding our design until he had no issues to reject us for.

Long story short am i being played here because of the reviewers ego or is this something that’s been practicing on envato, cause i’ve been author here long time and had more then 15 items and i have not had these kind of issues before, cause i’ve been looking into freshly approved themes, and frankly there is no logical explanation on why is he constantly rejecting us.

P.S.
is there a way to reach someone in envato HQ, or demand a different reviewer ?

2 Likes

I know it’s not okay to post this kind of messages I am writing now, on this forum, but anyway:
A preface to the story:
I’m a guy who created 20 themes FOR an elite author on themeforest. Designing and coding.
I am a really good PHP developer (most of the time I am working with Laravel and Symfony), I’ve worken on BlaBlaCar, I’ve created a lot of OpenData services for eGovernment so I’ve got some OOP, code quality and testing knowledge.
And guess what, I had to argue with reviewers about my code quality. They aksed to prefix methods inside a CLASS… Carl!

// What I did
class MyTheme_AssetManager{
   public function addDynamicScript(){}
}
// What they asked to
class MyTheme_AssetManager{
   public function my_theme_add_dynamic_script(){}
}

// Imagine you have 30 classes with 20 methods each.

There is absolutely no reason to prefix methods inside a class. It can not cause any conflicts. It’s basic OOP - a method is a behavior of an OBJECT (and CLASS it’s just its definition… unless it’s a static class and it’s a bit different story) .
Objects can not intersect not a single imaginable way, until TOLD TO.

So I just gave up after that. Tired of wasting my time with unprofessionals.
I am happy on a different market, where they care about their authors, proven by the simple fact that they reply to author’s emails. And that email it’s not hidden under 100 pages you have to visit first.

There are definitely some very weird things they qualify as "must do ", for example you must “escape” pretty much everything, which in some cases is nonsense even WordPress reference pages says that some of them should not be escaped cause there is no reason, yet envato reviewers demand that you escape everything in php.

After all, in the end we don’t mind fixing it if it’s how they do it, but the issue we have is that the current reviewer really just doesn’t even want to review it anymore or just plays angry cause i criticize him after he made a mistake, i mean how can theme go from soft rejection to hard reject and say it’s outdated (while never mentioning much about our design during that process), i mean 5-6 weeks, did web standards changed in the meantime ?

I have the same issue as well my I am struggling to submit simple PSD template for 8 months but they are rejecting same with copy paste reply rather than helping author with screenshots or proper guideline. I have got reviews from from forum’s authors and they have not found any issues which are mentioned by reviewer. I am doing this for 10 years and they are raising issues like I am newbie. I have seen many templates approved which are even not have quality like mine. Another thing I have noticed is envato reviewers does not have own items uploaded and how can they review our items??

Now I am frustrated and seems like Themeforest lost their charm and now looks like I need to find another alternative.

Closed old thread and duplicate answers Has envato review process become a hoax ? And what do authors do about it ?

1 Like