Paging an RSS feed

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if it is possible to page and RSS feed. I am dealing with a situation where I can only have 15 items in my feed, but there’s close to 60 items I need to mine… I’ve looked on the RSS specs page and there’s nothing there about it.

Something along the line of mysite.com/rss.xml?page=2

(I’ve tried that already - no go. :slight_smile: )

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I’m thinking that I might be out of luck as the page gets generated through built-in criteria. That would suck.

Dont thing RSS feeds do that, its just one huge (or small) list of items, thats it. What you could do though, is store the info into a text file (or something similar) using PHP for example. You could store more items in a textfile, and use that file in your swf’s.

Did that make any sense at all? :stuck_out_tongue:

There is no limit to the size of an RSS file. The limiting factor is whatever is generating your RSS file.

There is no limit to the size of an RSS file. The limiting factor is whatever is generating your RSS file.

Yes, I mentioned that already in the post. The system that runs the blog that generates the feed only allows me to have 15 entries.

Hence why I was hoping I could pass a paging variable to it… :wink: Any other ideas?

Dont thing RSS feeds do that, its just one huge (or small) list of items, thats it. What you could do though, is store the info into a text file (or something similar) using PHP for example. You could store more items in a textfile, and use that file in your swf's.

Did that make any sense at all? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, makes sense, but I am not trying to pull it into Flash. I need to display it using PHP, AND, I need to have more than the allotted 15… thanks for the reply though!

Understand :slight_smile: You could still use the ‘PHP to Textfile, Textfile to Output’ idea :slight_smile:

Yes, I mentioned that already in the post. The system that runs the blog that generates the feed only allows me to have 15 entries.

Hence why I was hoping I could pass a paging variable to it… :wink: Any other ideas?

That would be a function of whatever is generating your RSS feed, so we’d at least have to know what you’re using before anyone could answer that question.

Sorry for posting so late.

The site is on SquareSpace and I can’t control anything else besides a little number in a settings box.

I spoke to another web guy too and the consensus is that I am pretty much stuck with whatever the system outputs…

Thanks for all the replies! cheers

Check this out:

http://rsstool.sanriotown.com/

It has paging…

I think you may be able to still get around it.

You might be able to read the node containing the link to the next page, then navigate to that page and append it’s contents to your xml (and keep doing this untill you’ve gone through all the pages).

How about doing the pagination on the client side. i.e, get all the results from the rss feed, show /hide the relevant stuff . I am trying to do something similar on www.jobsrmine.com but no luck yet.