Objects rotates on circle stay right side up. AE HELP.

Ok. So what i am attempting to do without luck is to have several icons(precomps) rotate around on a circular path in Ae but stay right side up. Could really use a script of something to get the result i need.

anyone?

B

If I understod you, couldn’t you just move the anchor point of the precomp and then rotate it?

Object needs to stay right side up. If I just move the AP and rotate then te ojext would be uside at 180 degrees.

Hey Brian, just emailed you. Check it out and let me know if that helps.

what if you arrange your icon around a circle, put a null in the circle center, parent all icon to the null, rotate the null…first in mind :frowning: also if i m not wrong there is a scrip free script from VC 3d rotate …
I don t know if this is what you re looking for
http://www.flashato.net/upload/rotate.zip

Ive done it in the past buy can’t remember.

Hmmm, tough one! :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if I understand your question. Do you want your objects to face the camera at all time while rotating? if that’s the case, Transform/Auto-Orient/Towards Camera

I think I get what you’re trying to do… How 'bout this…

To make a perfectly circular path, draw a mask on a layer, select the mask path, Cmd-C and then select a position property and Cmd-V.

To then orientate the layers along the path, use…

Layer -> transform -> Auto Orient.

Orient along path and the layer sits perpendicular to the path. You can offset this with the standard rotation controls. Or orient towards camera… does what it says on the tin.

If you want to be smart, make a null object, call it target and then paste this into the orientation property of your layers.

L = thisComp.layer(“target”);
lookAt(thisLayer.toWorld(thisLayer.anchorPoint), L.toWorld(L.anchorPoint));

Now they will look at the target. You can use the rotation properties to rotate the layers relative to this. 180 in the X rotation will make the layer look away from the target etc.

-f.

By the way, what does this strange code mean? :wink:

te ojext would be uside at 180

-f.

ha! iPhone typing at a RED light.

“The object would be upside down at 180 degrees”

My bad.

The auto orient to camera works perfect, then parent to a null and using the Z rotation of the null. Copying and pasting the path as position keyframes isnt necessary unless you just want to control it with position keyframes for each layer.

I did have one issue with the script not working but it seems like its not needed as auto orient seems to do the trick once the precomps are all parented to it. I can post a test shortly once i get them all lined up on the path.

I’m interested in final result! :wink:

Here is the result.

Jut dropped in some icons from an icon pack to show what i was attempting to do (wasn’t going to upload client work). This way i can turn it any direction and all the icons stay right side up and face the camera.

used auto orient to orient to spline and camera.

B