Need a fix for my old theme, or a current replacement.

So, my host is now charging me to keep my site up using PHP 7.4 and it needs to be able to run 8.1. I have technical details about that that I can provide if needed, but I’ll keep this original post as simple as possible. I’m hoping that it’s a simple fix, but the author of my theme won’t respond. (Milli by Tom Rhodes)

My other option is to find a theme that would be relatively simple to get to my current site’s approximate look and functionality. It’s VERY simple and it seems like even the most simple portfolio type themes out there are way more busy than any pro photographer would want.

Here is my site. https://ayola.com/

The front page on the current site has a static grid image and is a little outdated, I know, but it would also work with a grid of clickable gallery thumbnails, but simple is best in my business. Clients just want to get to the images fast without having to read anything other than the bio/contact info. I just need my logo with a menu at the top of every page.

The galleries could be different too, as long as I have control over the number of columns and the shape and size of the thumbnails.

Thanks!

1 Like

If you want to fix current theme in latest version we will help you.

Interested helping you to make existing theme compatible to PHP 8.x. Please connect further

@Skoorb

There are other ways around this, but with wordpress themes and PHP changes, you always will need to look at investing either money or time into your business website. Bear in mind that your site might look okay on desktop pc but it needs to be responsive since so many people will use smartphones and tablets.

I would imagine that even trying to use a different wordpress theme would be a nightmare.

Find yourself a decent web designer who will take care of the time consuming bits.

I’m semi retired and although I’ve built my own web sites since 1996, and used to own a web design company, I do have all the time in the world to mess with editing style sheets and the like. The theme I’m currently using doesn’t look much like the original. I’ve stripped it of almost all of it’s functionality and simplified it’s design. Wordpress has just kinda taken over the game, and the technology behind the scenes is something that I can often figure out by asking a few questions on relative forums, but I’m just kinda tired, if you know what I mean. :slight_smile: This particular question seems to be one that the person I paid for it doesn’t want to answer. He may jsut not be getting my messages, but who knows.

All that being said, I don’t mind paying someone to fix the PHP issue, but if it costs the same or more than a NEW theme that’s up to date on current tech, it’s not worth it for me. Like I said, I have all the time, if needed, to make a new one work. The main issue is that every theme I find these days is full of functionality that most photographer wouldn’t need or want. When talking to photo reps, or art directors, etc., they all just want to get to the images quickly and in a simple layout with easy to understand navigation and clearly labeled portfolio categories. Then a simple easy to use secure contact page/info.

I understand that I am the exception when it comes to companies and their web sites.

I wish there was an ACTUAL simple portfolio theme similar to what I’ve done that get’s regular compatibility updates, it would be popular.

The web site below is for one of the biggest photographers in the world. No frills, just easy to get to galleries of images and a contact page. Main different from mine is that he has a slide show on the landing page and mine is a static grid image and our galleries work differently, but the sites as a whole function similarly.

https://fwo3.com/

It would cost same or the more amount as the new theme. You should consider to find a new theme and update your website as well.

@Skoorb - I’ve sent you a Private Message. As @ki-themes has pointed out too, there are always changes needed to keep a website up to date with responsive technology and changes in how Google will list a website in search results. If you have web experience, then why not design a static HTML website - that way you won’t need to keep changing it every 5 minutes :wink:

Just to add a little more clarity -

Tom Rhodes was one of the leading and most respected authors in envato but no longer lists any items (the fact the theme still works at all given how long hr has been off the network is a testament to how good his work was).

If ‘simple’ is what you want then there are a ton of CMS and website builder platforms out there which are aimed at this (like the one used by the example you gave above).

With WordPress and files here items will always be more complex and versatile which increased interest, flexibility, and suitability to a larger volume of buyers - that’s just the nature of stock themes.

1 Like