Making a living with AJ. Still possible?

Agreed, but my assumption is to get that 1 track that’s an Audio Jungle hit so to speak, you need to upload a lot of high-quality tracks that are also the right genre/in demand to increase your chances of getting that 1 track that does extremely well?

IMHO, over saturating the market with the upload of items will not help. Also Envato really needs to deal with those authors who game the system to their advantage with instant suspension or automatic ban on their accounts if they want to keep a healthy community.
It also depends what the cost of living is relative to where you live. Here in the UK the cost of living is high especially if you have dependants.
The days of AJ supporting you are long gone unless you really bend the rules or you are part of “The Beatles” and are an exrraordinary author.

1 Like

Envato encouraged oversaturation by increasing the upload limit to 30 tracks a month. Why would they then ban people for doing something they have encouraged? I don’t understand what you mean by “game the system to their advantage”?

Self purchasing, spamming comments to generate comments to create trending items, titling tracks with keywords etc. Uploading 30 items per month is not gaming the system - it is overloading the system.
Also read the forums lately with stories of rejection…listen to the tracks, the quality bus has left the building.
Also copying existing tracks, normally from the best selling list, and also using templates and changing a single note to create “new” tracks - that is popular or even upload existing tracks and change the title - that works.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of these things going on.

This marketplace is full of this behaviour and it will continue until Envato does something about it but alas even when alerted nothing ever happens. (Or we shall never know as it does not stop other authors from committing the same bad deeds).

1 Like

How does a brand new Christmas track sell 9 times and gain 5 comments on the first day? This is the kind of activity that goes on here. This is not how the marketplace “normally” acts with new items. 9 Years I have been here - long enough experience to sense fishy activity or it could be my spidey-sense.

6 Likes

For me it has been a bit like this:

AJ

I guess other authors have other scenarios and, of course, it varies depending on where you live. Right now I’d say: there’s no way in this world you can make a living based exclusively on AJ. Right now I’m 99% focused on freelance work and celebrate when a sale comes in every now and then.

9 Likes

Thanks for your honesty. Have you maintained the same basic strategy throughout that time?

Nathan

Yes! Tell us your earnings strategy :slight_smile:

Well, yes, roughly the same approach. I did tried price dumping for almost a month but the results were SOOO LAME. I even uploaded more tracks in this past year but sales kept plummetting. Given the current situation, and again I’m speaking only from my perspective, going non-exclusive seems to be the only alternative. I have a lil baby and a lot of work, and publishing my whole portfolio in other libraries will definitely take some time so that move has been in pause for quite some time now. Something for the upcoming 2022, I guess.

7 Likes

Hi mates!
Im drunk!
Merry christmas!

6 Likes

Bro!! I’m not always sober either. but this does not prevent me from loving creativity! :heart_eyes:

I’m not trying to be mean here, but… Is it 100 people or 2 or 3 people you personally know making over 100K? I’m talking about the average composer, not the superstars. There are ten of thousands of composers, not just the people you know.

A common late 90’s rate for royalty free single tracks was about $99. I see $5 tracks here. I would call that dramatic.

2 Likes

In my case absolutely not!

I’ve been here for almost 2 years. It’s getting worse. I am currently earning more from other libraries. I have another job. Stock Music is just a nice addition to my salary.

4 Likes

Lol, maybe somewhere in Nigeria.

2 Likes