Instagram mandness.

Hi guys.

I am having serious trouble to understand how the Instagram access token works or how to even get one, it seems like an impossible task for me, I spent two days already and I go deeper into the rabbit hole,one of the things that I don’t understand, let’s say a user buys my app, will it have to create it’s own token because if I as a developer do not understand how this mess works a normal user will 1000% have no clue :slight_smile:

All I want is to be able to read a profile and get the JSON from it, but it seems like an impossible task, I am willing to pay for someone that can help me with this, it is literally driving me crazy.

Thank you.

Hi, according to their documentation they have two types of authentication - Explicit (Server Side) and Implicit (Client Side).
Instagram API requires authentication - specifically requests made on behalf of a user. And every request requires a token that is unique to a user.

If your app doesn’t have a server component you are obviously using Client-Side Authentication and the above requirement is impossible to complete. In this case,
you have to direct the user to the authorization URL

URL

https://api.instagram.com/oauth/authorize/?client_id=CLIENT-ID&redirect_uri=REDIRECT-URI&response_type=token

From which the user authenticates and grants YOUR application access to their data. After that Instagram redirects them to your redirect_uri with the access_token in the url fragment.
Here is where I got this from.
I hope this was at least a little helpful.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.