Important Changes for Non-US Authors/Affiliates/Service Providers

Hello! Here are today’s answers.

Yes, if details such as your company name or country of residence change, you should submit a new W form. As your the payment account holder and country need to be the same as those listed on the W form, you would need to update your payment account details at the same time.

As Collis explained in January’s platform discussion, there is a large range and variation in what a platform can look like and how they work. On the one hand there are platforms like Etsy and eBay where money flows directly from the buyer to the seller and the buyer and the seller directly interact. The platform provider typically charges very low fees, and is quite hands off.

On the other hand there are platforms like Google Play and Envato Market. Here the platform plays more of an intermediary role - money flows via the platform, items are subject to a review process, and buyers and sellers interact less. The platform provides more services and usually charges higher fees as a result.

That said, we are keen to grow the interactions between buyers and authors for marketing, sales, support, and community, and give authors more control. One recent move we’ve made on this front is to introduce author-driven pricing for some categories on GraphicRiver. We’ll continue to explore initiatives like this including author access to buyer contact details.

Hi NAZ_, we won’t start withholding until January 1st, 2016. I think this difference is due to our recent introduction of a fixed buyer fee for certain categories on GraphicRiver. Please check out the announcement and let me know in that thread if you have any questions. Thanks!

You called us “direct sellers” and in the same time Envato plays “intermediary role”. How can it be possible? How can we be “direct” if you are between us and buyers? Ok. It was rhetorical question.
Also you say that Envato provides more services. But from my point of view, Envato provides more and more limitations and charges for that higher and higher fees. It will be nice if I can abandon some “services”, and use only one - your customer base and pay fees only for that.

10 Likes

We pay for fees, we pay for taxes, we are “direct sellers” but with limited oportunities.When it comes to SHARE ,we share our earnings with them but they don’t share the taxes with us…ALOT of illogical things here.

8 Likes

@collis, @natman, can you, please, answer this:

1 Like

Hope envato moderator don’t find it offensive :slight_smile: As every author who somewhat understood what is happening will have same question that why we pay tax on money which envato is taking from us as commision?

5 Likes

Hi @collis & @natman
It becomes urgent that you provide us with the official letter from Envato that allows us to file for an ITIN. The IRS bureau at the American Embassy in France confirms that the process to get an ITIN takes from 7 to 11 weeks. If we’re able to send our documents next week, that takes us right before Christmas for the best case scenario. If there is any delay for any reason, we won’t be able to properly fill the W8 form. Which means that starting Jan. 1st and until we receive that ITIN, we will have to pay taxes we don’t owe because we didn’t have the required documents from you in time. This will be a tricky situation. Thanks for your understanding, Matt.

8 Likes

I definitely agree with Matt. We really need this paper, and i don’t really understand why you hadn’t anticipate this situation. This is a major step that you should have foreseen before fixing a deadline for us, authors.

8 Likes

Agreed, we are in the same situation as Matt, please do something about this.

1 Like

hahaha! envato expect their authors to tell them these requirement and complications. Envato calculate their savings and taxes very carefully but not the requisites of the matter related to their authors.

@collis @natman What about the partnership thing you planned? Dream-Theme and many many other authors are just surviving and producing good selling items just because of this multiple withdrawl option every month.
I asked you in my last message to please let us send multiple sendouts to multiple accounts like we are doing right now until you give us a platform to manage the partnership thing.

I always have a complaint with envato that you people don’t actually analyze the matter keeping everyone into consideration, If you had done this you have had not stopped sending multiple payments every month until you had planned anything for partnership.

Do I need to tell you that themeforest/envato has got popular due to items like avada and many others which has attracted huge sales and that happened due to partnerships authors have has done together??? Your most of the MOST SOLD ITEMS (top in many of your categories are PARTNERSHIP ITEMS)
This is an unoffocial backbone of envato which you just have not considered.

Rather making envato a different kind of marketplace and giving your authors an official partnership option which doesn’t exist now on planet till yet. You have decided to ruin this advantage? Imagine if this unofficial backbone gets a recognition of official, How much benefit envato may take out of it???

Please I requesting again to keep the multiple withdrawl thing active until you do something solid for partnership thing officially.

Thanks,
theem’on from INDIA

18 Likes

Hello,
I need to understand something:
If I complete the form as a NON-US Author and my country doesn’t have an agreement Envato will take 30% of my USA sales.
If I do not complete the form because I don’t want to, Envato will take 28% of my USA sales
Is this correct?

@mustachethemes If you complete the form as a NON-US Author and your country doesn’t have an agreement Envato will take 30% of your USA sales.
If you do not complete the form Envato will take 28% of all of your sales!

If you do not complete the form, IRS will retain 28% on all sales, as they will considered you are a US person that has not filled the form.

I don’t understand why they would take 28% of all sales, why is the IRS enforcing this? Also why move to the US which has one of the highest corporate tax rates. Large global companies usually try to keep their cash out of the US to avoid high taxes.

4 Likes

No envato will take a 28% of all sales :slight_smile: so it’s better to fill the W-8 form

@natman So, the country in the SWIFT account needs to match with the one in the registered W8 form in order to process the payment. Is this correct?

Question: can I have more than one SWIFT accounts with different names but they are all in the same country?

Hey @collis and @natman please
My question still not answered my question is:

If I am from Mexico, which has an agreement with the United States. But I do not have tax number. I can turn, I can not provide a number of taxes, in the form and thus apply equally to the treaty of my country (10%) or not ?. Thank you.

@collis , @natman

Can account holder withdraw money in two parts, skrill and paypal ?

If you dont have number, no treaty benefits. better apply for EIN/ITIN from US

Hi guys :smile:

I was born in USA that make me owner of an American passport and citizenship…but i grow from young age in Europe…i have also a European citizenship and i am resident in Italy…
I never have paid taxes in USA and i never was after the age of 7 a resident in USA …
If someone knows about my case would be cool to give me an advice.

Also if some Italian all ready knows… is the Codice fiscale OK like a tax number ?

Hello, it’s extremely chaotic here.

I have read through Collis’s post a lot of time but still there are too many questions to ask.

1. I did not see Collis mentioned any kind of deadline for submitting this W8 form ? Or just before Jan 1 2016 and it’s automatically approved ? Are there any pending process like approval wait time ?

2. I am not an US citizen and I do not have Tax ID number at the moment. Are there any problem with not having a Tax ID number ?

3. In case of tax treaty with US, does this apply for country of residence or country of citizenship (my nationality ?

4. Would you please share a link to find out if my citizenship country (Vietnam) is having any tax treaty with US ? I could not find a specific link on this matter, even though I heard there was a recent treaty signed.

Thanks for the help.