Help Buying a new Laptop or Desktop

Hi there folks. Can anyone help me with some suggestions for a new laptop? I’ll have about £2000 to spend…give or take about £500. I don’t really want to get a macbook because I’ve never used macs, but I might be willing to try them out. I would like to use a lot of samples and virtual instruments in the future so I’m looking for 32gb+ ram if possible. What are you guys using? I would much prefer a Laptop instead of a desktop for portability but if you think a Desktop is the way to go, please give me some ideas.
Thanks everybody in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you travel a lot maybe laptop would be better, many AJ authors doing their work while travel. I don’t really know about the spec, but usually gaming laptop such ASUS ROG could handle almost everything.
Never used macbook, but a lot of my friends use them while travel and producing their own tracks easily. :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe start with what you need to use the computer for?

Any laptop with 32GB RAM, a quad core 3GHz+ CPU (go for an i7) and SSD storage should do the trick. Like FASS said, ASUS ROG laptops are a good choice for this kind of thing.

3 Likes

MacBook Pro and you’ll be happy with that for sure!

1 Like

I used Macbook pro retina for all of my products. You can go anywhere with it. :smiley:

Asus ROG GL502VS

Quad Core i7
32GB RAM
256GB SSD
GTX 1070
4K Screen

Does the job! Should be able to pick one up for around £1500, but definitely less than £2000.

2 Likes

I recommend the desktop version. Yes, it is not portable, but instead you get some serious stability and power.

You can buy for that money really nice Mac Pro machine ( used ).
I bought mac pro 2012, even then he was four years old. So he is 10 years old now, and I am still using it for music production. It’s a bit harder these days with this conf:

2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 800 MHz
SSD
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

I do not believe that there is a PC of ten years old that pushed the same thing as this Mac.

The only thing that makes me a little annoying is the incompatibility and price of parts. I hope the situation will get better here and I will be able to buy a new one, of course, Mac Pro.

The choice is yours. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I can also recommend something I’ve tested.

Recently, to gain new skills and to improve my earnings, I learned by myself how to do video and sound editing and I also learned how to use Adobe Premier, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Media Encoder and Adobe Audition. Since my husband has a video agency, I worked with him on a couple of projects with my good, old Toshiba laptop.

But, then, with the money I earned from the first few video projects, for a better working experience, I invested in a new laptop and I bought an Asus X550JK laptop. What a great laptop! It came with 8GB RAM but I replaced it with a 32GB one. And I also replaced the HDD STORAGE with a SSD one (1TB)

I must say that for video editing and sound editing, this configuration is perfect! It works fast with Premier, After Effects and Audion open at the same time. The video and audio encoding is very fast, less than 1:1. I was surprised that for such a computing power, it doesn’t become hot like other laptops, it has a great cooler, which is important when you do audio/video editing.

It is also designed for better than other laptops audio experience, using SonicMaster techonology. If you also buy some good wireless earphones, you will definitely experience a great audio experience.

You can find more about the laptop searching for it on Asus website. I totally recommend it. If you have questions about it, please let me know and I’ll tell you.

Asus ROG is also a great option, but I haven’t tested one and it’s a bit more expensive. That one seems to have really great features, if you have the money to invest in it.

:hugs:

3 Likes

@hevada
Just need to emphasize that the audio production is more demanding than video editing when it comes to configuration. When you got 100+ channels with plugins, well, it’s an epic fight. :joy:

I’m sure! I did only basic audio editing, not audio production, so I’m sure you are right! I’m rather a programmer, this audio/video part is something I do for fun, not at a professional level :slight_smile: :hugs:

2 Likes

Old Topic