Get Involved with Spirit Day!

1 Like

Thanks for the invitation to make things personal FlossieWood, but I will have to decline and stay on my original point.

The issue at hand is not that I object to ā€œa corporation using its power to reinforce the message that persecution of the LGBT community is wrong.ā€ I wholeheartedly agree that the persecution of any human being for their beliefs is wrong.

My problem is the hypocritical approach that is being taken on the promotion of one world-view, while denying the free discussion of others.

If you read Cliffs post above, you can see that ā€œSpirit Dayā€ is just the first of many planned initiatives revolving around the LGBT community. Those initiatives will obviously not only encompass anti-bullying campaigns. Cliff made it pretty clear that they will ā€œcontinue doing work in this space.ā€

You see, behind the campaign of anti-bullying (which I donā€™t disagree with, whether related to LGBT youth or not), there is also the world-view and philosophy of Secular Humanism and anti-traditionalism which I do disagree with. It is unfair and against Envatoā€™s own policy to promote one world-view, philosophy or religion over another - at least I thought.

So my point is, if you are going to open this up, then open it up to everyone. Allow everyone to post topics about beliefs, world-views and faiths all kind, without censorship and fear of persecution OR keep the marketplace strictly about business which is what I support.

I am totally okay with the fact that others may disagree with me, and discussion is good and Iā€™m not afraid of it. We all have to learn to have open and decent dialog with one another in spite of differing views and beliefs. I donā€™t see someone as a ā€œbad personā€ just because they donā€™t agree with me. I am finding however the very intolerance many complain of is being thrown right back on anyone with a differing view here.

Having a non-secular world view does not automatically make someone a hateful, unsensitive bigot trapped in vain traditions of old. If progress towards anti-bullying comes at the expense of cyber bullying and intolerance of different views here, what ground is really made?

So, I stand by my original point - keep the marketplaces about business. Everyone can agree on business. Envato can go support whatever they want outside of here, thatā€™s theyā€™re choice, but the moment you go beyond that here is the moment you are introducing and creating division.

11 Likes

Just for your info Tim. LGBT is not a particular world view. You can relate religion to views and beliefs but LGBT is something to do with oneā€™s bodies and hormones over which you donā€™t have a control. LGBT is THE right one for LGBT as STRAIGHT is right for STRAIGHT. Anyway I really like the way you put your views, everyone has their right to their views and intolerance of any kind is not acceptable(IMO).

1 Like

It would make more sense for Envato to support the cause within their own company, where you are working with people face to face in a work space environment where inequality might be a factor and then can create awareness regarding bullying and inequality.

We have always remained neutral on such topics on the forums because we should respect that this is a global community from different backgrounds with different views, and discussing these topics is not relevant to selling stock items, and an authors sexual orientation is private therefore no one would be affected by any bullying / inequality within this online community.

By highlighting this cause here, it only polarizes the community and creates the environment for inequality and tension to take place, which is the exact opposite intention of this cause. By remaining neutral we maintain unity and harmony within this community which should be the common objective here.

4 Likes

Tim referred to the world view of secular humanism, which is simply the view that people are free to live their lives free from persecution by religious groups. The alternative to this is a traditional society led by religion, in which anyone whoā€™s not straight will face discrimination and in many cases will have to hide their sexuality. Secular humanism is all about rational thought and the belief that all people are the same and have the same rights. Religion is kept out of government, and human rights are enforced by law. People are free to practice whatever religion they want, but they canā€™t force others to live by their rules.

3 Likes

ā€œā€¦and discussing these topics is not relevant to selling stock itemsā€

Well thereā€™s plenty of non-stock related discussions in the forums. Should all non-stock discussions be banned? There was one a few weeks ago where a guy announced that heā€™d just got married. Congrats to him. Iā€™m curious why you didnā€™t speak up in that thread, and advise the poster that he should keep such things to himself, as itā€™s not relevant to selling stock items?

1 Like

ā€œā€¦and discussing these topics is not relevant to selling stock itemsā€

You tried to convince us all that there was an apocalyptic cataclysm about to destroy the world in December 2012. That wasnā€™t strictly relevant to selling stock items either. It was a fun and interesting discussion, however. :+1:

This is personal, Tim, you did, after all take it upon yourself to speak for ā€˜people hereā€™. Yet, many of us have relatives, friends, or may be ourselves, LGBT.

I think you need to acknowledge that authorsā€™ objections to Spirit Day, and any further support Envato provides for the LGBT community, will upset and offend people. You, yourself, are implying that it is wrong to be LGBT, and that is bound to antagonise.

Perhaps if you let yourself get to know people who are LGBT, you would understand what it is like to be on the receiving end of your ā€˜traditionalā€™ views. You say that you have been bullied and shown intolerance, well I disagree with the former but agree with the latter. Today, in many parts of the developed world, views such as yours are not tolerated. They promote misery. They need to stop.

I myself, have a young transgender niece, and I have met transgender people who have had to hide their true identity due to views such as yours: so having personal experience of what a transgender person goes through, makes reading the views of particular authors, including yours, painful and difficult. Did you know 40% of transgender people commit suicide? This is a shocking statistic.

Iā€™m afraid, I think you are wrong. We are not talking about a so-called ā€˜belief systemā€™ here, it is not a world view. For instance, my niece did not choose to have a female brain in a male body, but it happened. No one would choose her path, it is traumatic and painful, but she will make the best of it with loving and supportive people around her.

So, forgive me if you took it personally, but I took it personally on my nieces behalf, when you and other authors, casually dismissed Envatoā€™s support of Spirit Day and any further events. I have no tolerance for anyone who believes that my niece should not have equal rights to any other human being/that supporting LGBT communities is wrong.

And another thing. Why is it Tim, that you yourself, state your own Christianity on your website, yet you also state here that you disagree with a business stating their policy on LGBT issues, whatā€™s the difference? Itā€™s a little hypocritical isnā€™t it? As I mentioned many companies do the exact same thing (see previous post).

Furthermore, as a responsible employer, most companies in the developed world have to adopt an inclusive stance. This will necessitate a policy that all employees/customers no matter what religion, gender, sexual orientation,gender identity, race, disability, etc are treated equally. I really donā€™t see why you have a problem with this. Whether they want to or not, Envato have to be seen to promote a policy that promotes equality. Although I must admit, I get the feeling that they would do this regardless.

I think people should get on with their own lives and stop condemning others. I notice no objections by authors to Divali, Eid Mubarak, Christmas or Easter campaigns on Envato, (notice, all religious threads) so I really think you should stop getting yourself so upset.

And,do you know what, itā€™s such a shame that you have only popped up on a forum thread to express something so negative, I feel very disappointed about that too.

Ah, but Iā€™m not upset. Seriously.

I have a different opinion, and now I have stated that and am done. Iā€™m not here to fight with you or anyone, even though I disagree with much of what you have said.

Some food for thought though:

You probably shouldnā€™t assume I donā€™t have any LGBT friends. Just because I disagree on a certain issue with someone doesnā€™t make me inhuman or incapable of friendship.

My website is a personal site where I am solely responsible for the content and opinions. However, even then, I may mention faith in the ā€œabout meā€ section one time perhaps? Hardly like I am over there preaching. The two things cannot be compared.

I didnā€™t ā€œpop up on a forum threadā€ just to express negativity. I came to express my opinion on a subject I think is important and have done it in a decent and non-threatening way.

1 Like

A few months ago I almost bought one of your portfolio themes. Now I am happy I didnā€™t.

I am not sure if this was posted by Ruben or Mindaugas, but if itā€™s the latter one, I am ashamed to see someone from my home country say such things.

4 Likes

Ruben typing.

See? The more you express yourself on touchy subjects, the more it runs your business. Keep things professional and all will be calm.

2 Likes

Hello again!

Weā€™ve judged your beautiful entries and have selected winners for each of the four categories!

Most Creative Purple Selfie: @shaina400m

Most Creative Use of Purple Graphic Elements (eg. filters, layers, graphics): @jorgebarragan84

Most Creative Purple Illustration: @kipaloops

Most Creative Purple Workspace: @la_mauvaise_foi

Winners, weā€™ve reached out to you on Instagram to congratulate you and organise awarding your selected prize!

In our original post we committed to donating $1 for every photo you entered using the tags #envato #spiritday. We were really pleased with the 28 entries but what blew us away even more was the reach your images received from likes. So weā€™ve decided to instead donate $1 for every like these photos received, meaning we are donating $1049 to GLAAD to support their valuable work.

Thanks again for the support you contributed to this global event. Weā€™re looking forward to your involvement again later in the year!

5 Likes

Speak for yourself not others.