Further tests on Market Search / Category / Home pages

Wondering who is responsible for user experience? Items list has those horrible thumbnails and item name is truncated. But list of popular items has 80x80 thumbnails. Envato team, what are you doing? :smiley:

3 Likes

I spent a lot of time preparing my last job. It’s no secret that up to 70% of the profits new authors receive from a new job in the first days while it is at the top. Further sales are getting smaller. You kill our income and all the desire to continue to develop your site. I have less desire to continue drawing, because it does not bring me profit (

3 Likes

I would love to see Envato come up with some way of compensating authors whose items have suffered, but this isn’t a good solution. It would just be a waste of time for authors and reviewers.

Actually, the items affected could be put back to the front of the newest items pages, by changing their upload date. That would still be a fail probably because then it would unfairly drown out other new items being uploaded… :smiley:

3 Likes

Very much I doubt (
And many authors will start writing in support and complaining about re-pouring!

Although I support this idea!

1 Like

Come on guys, they do this for maximum conversion optimisation!

Let’s bare with Envato while they do these testings :slight_smile:

I support the testing Envato, no matter sales go up or low - it’s for the benefit of ourselves in the end.

Hopefully you’ll share some insights after it ends.

3 Likes

such a sweet lie =) it is in benefit of marketplace, not authors)

and aren’t authors members of the marketplace which ultimately get the benefit?

Not if all new files get 0 views. In this case why bother producing new files if we can just keep showing trendy and best sellers. And all those that got files approved in this period of testing got really screwed.

8 Likes

Unfortunately I will not upload new projects, there are no sales, there is no sense (

1 Like

My congratulations to all!
For this it is necessary to drink!

3 Likes

Well, yes. Testing seems to be over!
I checked everything couple of times from different browsers and can only confirm the info above!

So, yes, we can drink, colleagues!:beers:

But in future let’s hope for our own strengths producing more and more quality content instead of crying on forums! Cheers!:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Are you sure guys that it’s over? Because my last 8 sales are from really old projects. New ones still have small amount of views and sales. I’m not against it, but some fresh info from the devs will be much apreciated

1 Like

Yes, sales are over - it happend few hours ago. And I can see it very clearly in my income status :slight_smile:

Hooray!
It looks like the test is over)
And sales statistics are coming back to normal.
40% of new items insted of 10% are getting sales.
And now there are some items that can get more than 2 sales in a day which was impossible during this test)
Now it’s very interesting what Envato will do with the results of tests

2 Likes

A quick update to let you know category default sort order test has completed. For anyone who missed the earlier post, this was live on GraphicRiver, AudioJungle, CodeCanyon and VideoHive. The default sort is now back to newest.

On a separate test on ThemeForest search and category, I can share that having larger images on the list view has improved conversion. The larger images on the grid view saw no change, so we have tweaked the layout to make the pages look cleaner based on the feedback in this thread and the test will continue as we gather more data.

I’d also like to share that these tests are not the only form of research and learning we do at Envato. Some other types include interviewing authors and customers, running usability tests, conducting surveys, looking into analytics and usage, and, monitoring these forums. We look at this and more when making decisions on how to improve.

12 Likes

You have disabled an important feature at my opinion: the larger image for theme preview images on mouse hover. I believe this is a crucial feature, since many theme preview images lists some theme features the user might want to see before deciding to click the item to read more details.

The feedback we’ve received from customers was that the hover preview wasn’t providing any further information than was already on the item result (when the user was enrolled in the larger image variant), especially as the thumbnail and the hover image are nearly the same size. This test will let us know either way so we don’t have to guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank god it is over, now I can focus on making and submitting items again.

1 Like

@trent-aus thanks for info. It’s very important for many of us.

It looks, like everything is back to normal with sales .

So what happens with those that get “caught” in these testing periods? You probably are aware that an item that was released two weeks ago lost all exposure. Three of my stock videos were released in that time and got less than 5 views each. Now they are past page 5 and will a get a lot less views as without testing. Do you take these things into account when performing these tests? I now have 3 files that are basically useless since they didn’t get the initial exposure.

10 Likes