Envato - prevent bundling of CC plugins

good point…personally I also buy & license separately the top plugins like VC and revo slider, so I can get auto-updates with a click w/in WP plugins/update

Good point but hopefully they can see the light and go back to themes being themes instead of them trying to be everything you need for a website…

Many others share the same philosophy but it’s also a matter of competing as @digitalscience points out

Also, seems some themes use heavily modified copies of bundled plugins (e.g. Visual Composer Security Vulnerability Fix ) and the standard licensed copy will not function correctly. This is where the theme author adds significant modifications to the core plugin in the theme release.

Envato follows what is the most marketable than what is the right thing to do. In a perfect world, authors would have it another way.

i have written this into other review queue thread,

could not it be done like this ?

1 - bundled plugins should be uploaded seperately. user should download them seperately and install together with theme. next time plugin is updated, author will upload only plugins.

2 - When uploading theme, author should state which plugins are included and provide the necessary extended licenses. User who bought this theme, will directly download plugin and install it. Next time when plugin is updated, author will not need to update anything.

Bundling plugins and then such issues and review times are delayed to nearly half a month. This is frustrating.

We need to stop bundling plugins into themes and let buyers purchase them separately. There are many advantages if we do this.

1. Authors will update the items more frequently.

2. Buyers don’t have to worry if there is a security issue or bug just like we had in VC lately. They can easily auto update and we don’t need to have our community author help every buyer out there.

3. It will remove the burden from reviewers in such situations which happened with VC lately.

4. This won’t affect review times.

5. Plugin authors will earn more as they deserve it.

OR

Atleast increase your review team to handle such situations. We as a team are losing interest to upload any future themes here if this continues like this and we don’t see any improvement.

Envato atleast do something which is right and what authors demand. Please! Thank you.

1 Like

It’s too late now. There is no going back. It’s like asking to stop throwing 35 homepage demos and 5 different sliders.

I am all for a clean WP theme that doesn’t rely on any external plugin - but can be compatible for it if users want to use it, just like your example of WPML.

But envato has been pushing towards the mega bloat and praising top selling item page which is 95% mega bloated themes, all including VC. This is the new norm, and buyers will come crying if their theme doesn't even have the drag and drop thingy that is usually part of WordPress

A lot of authors called it - ThemeForest would enter in a really bad era if allowing mega-bundle themes to exist. They did, and here we are.

4 Likes

Indeed, don’t expect things to change.