Decrease in sales for P.R.O. affiliated authors?

PZ: 15 sales in the last 4 hours… No, I do not think PRO affiliation means less sales at all. It could double the money for a top author though.

Drastic drop in sales even for a NON PRO like me this month. Dunno if this has something to do with PRO or NON or just the weather.

2 Likes

I think that many buyers are seeing that is P.R.O they are a bit scared , but then they get used or ( know ) what it is , as was the case with AdRev . Few years ago )))

Come on now, the numbers are right there, Envato provide all the information you need. Just take a look at 5 top authors who are PRO registered and record their sales for a week. That should give you more than enough information instead of “thinking” stuff here and there.

1 Like

I don’t speak for the TOP authors , they will always have sales even though they have PRO or not ))) I speak for simple authors which a lot , and many buyers don’t know what this is PRO , many know , and some do not care !!!

Why would the decrease/increase/status quo be any different for non-top authors? You’re looking at the difference in sales before PRO and after, not whether they have sales or not…

I didn’t say that , I said that buyers are a bit confused (some) when they see the inscription PRO ))))))

To get this straight: This is not the only marketplace for RF tracks. Most, if not all the other stock sites allow PRO registered items. I’m sure a majority of buyers already encountered PRO there. And even if they don’t know PRO yet, the PRO FAQ section on AJ is excellent! It will clear everything up and customers will find out soon that there’s nothing to fear: The vast majority doesn’t have to pay a single penny more, PRO will only get relevant if the end product will get aired on TV or Radio. There might be some problems whith youtubers buying stuff from GEMA Authors tough, but I have no info on that, I’m not with the GEMA.

2 Likes

PRO registration is the standard for production music. As @MikeSea mentioned, AJ has covered this with an FAQ.

If you’re still concerned, consider this. If you do not think there is any chance that your music will be used on television (network, cable), or played on YouTube (because you can collect performance royalties from YouTube under the “internet audio” category - that is paid by YouTube - not the uploader), or played in a venue (like a restaurant or store that streams a playlist), then don’t worry about PRO registration if you’re afraid it will hurt you because under those circumstances, you won’t make any performance royalties. BUT, most likely, considering YouTube, you’re going to have placements that will generate this income… if you want it. If you only think it’s going to be YouTube, which isn’t going to be a lot of money, and you’re still afraid of risking loss due to PRO registration, just know that if by some chance you get a placement on a prime time network TV program that later goes into syndication, you could make a lot of money on a regular basis for several years all from that ONE placement. It could be astronomically higher than the broadcast license fee you get here. If you don’t register your music, you won’t get that money. If you don’t believe that could happen, OK, that’s up to you.

2 Likes

Oh I’m totally onboard with P.R.O. I have been for years. I was just worried about if it had a negative effect on the sales. Which I think has been debunked now, thanks to you guys!:slight_smile:

It is a little weird however that so many people have been experincing a decrease in sales lately, regardless of P.R.O. affiliation or not. Maybe something else has changed behind the scenes (?).

So YouTube use P.R.O. not Adrev?

Have they? How do you know this? Because 10 out of 15,000 have posted in the forums?

Most people that have commented here has had that experience. Haven’t seen anyone comment “no, sales are as usual for me”.
I obviously don’t know about everyone else, but doesn’t it look like a pattern?

So 9-10 out of 15,000 looks like a pattern? No, sir. It does not. Who do you think is most likely to post in the forum? In a thread titled “Decrease in sales…”?

Do some real research and check the numbers you can easily find all over the site and then come back. Every day, every week, every month, and every year some authors will have bad sales. And they always complain about it in the forums, try to find conspiracies, doomsday site changes etc. and someone thinks the world is ending.

To make the top list this week you needed 20 sales! That’s higher than ever. I would say sales are just fine. For me? Normal/Average.

Don’t make assumptions based on a couple of forum posts. Make them based on REAL numbers. They are easy to find, although it takes a little more time.

1 Like

They are two completely different things. AdRev relates to licensing violations where AdRev works with YouTube to place advertisements on the videos of people who cannot prove that they obtained a legitimate license for the use of your music, and they pay you a share of the ADvertising REVenue. The PRO situation with YouTube is based on performance royalties. This is where you are paid a royalty for the legitimate use and performance of your music by YouTube through your PRO - not the person who licensed the music, nor the person who uploaded the video. As a composer, you can collect both without a problem.

YouTube started paying performance royalties to the PRO’s not that long ago. I got my first payments during the 2nd quarter of 2014. That period also paid retroactively from FY2013 up to that 2nd quarter. YouTube royalties have appeared on my PRO (which is BMI) statement quarterly ever since. AdRev pays me separately.

NOTE: The YouTube situation may not apply to every PRO. At the moment, I believe it might only be US based PROs, but I’m sure that’s clarified somewhere on the internet…

2 Likes

Well it’s a small pattern ^^

Alright fine, you’re right. Sorry! I’m new to this.

No, it’s 9 authors out of 15,000 = 0.06% drawn in by a title that they resonate with. :smiley:

Anyway, just keep an eye on the real numbers that are available everywhere on this site, and use tools like the Wayback Machine and you can find all the info you need about sales being good or bad.

And check the top authors - it’s completely worthless to go by an author who normally sells 15 items in a month. That’s way too few to make any assumptions about ups or downs other than for that particular individual. There will always be big ups and downs with low numbers.

Not only US PROs, some European ones as well. But it doesn’t really work too well with requirements of a minimum number of x thousand plays within a certain time frame in ONE country, which is of course strange with something like YouTube but the PROs continue to be slow-moving dinosaurs in a fast-moving world…

1 Like

Sorry if that sounded like I was addressing you directly. That was just a generic message to those on the thread who haven’t registered their music because they’re afraid of PRO registration or only recently registered and are worried.

Absolutely. Thinking that there’s an advantage in (still) selling non-PRO music on AJ is nonsense. It’s money that could find a way to you, wheter you’re registered or not, it’s there, you just have to claim it. I’m sure over the time more and more Authors will follow. Just like Ovation said: PRO registration is standard in Production music.

1 Like