Cutdown and translations

Alright, I see. It’s understandable and great that you want to make sure you’re making the right thing for your client and yourself.

You have to understand that the performance royalties are not part of the project, they are to be paid, when applicable, by the various “outlets”. It is not a hidden cost for your client which you would be liable for.

For broadcasts, TV channels already pay performance royalties to PROs.
For Youtube, YouTube pays performance royalties to PROs (it might be different for Germany).
For public events, the venue owner (or sometimes the event organizer) is responsible for paying royalties.
It is not you the video maker that is responsible for paying those performance royalties. You could add a small text such as “performance royalties not included”, to be extra sure you’re covered.

Hope, this can be reassuring to you so that you can be confident moving forward.

1 Like

Thanks and sorry for any previous confusion.

Would I be able to provide the track to territories with explicit instructions that it can only be used for localised versions of the promotional video. Any other use is prohibited and will require an additional license?

I have also contacted a composer direct and will include their quote as an option as there are benefits to custom tracks, but there is a possibility the budget wont stretch so, I want to be clear and give my client all the information they need to make an informed decision.

Thanks again for sticking with this.

Actually it can be only a part of rights. E.g. only performance rights in Hungary. Depending on local law and pro I suppose. In other words composer can release type of use from PROs management of chosen track.

Yes.That also depends of the type of the release model.If we are talking about sync music , the film producer has the prerogative to claim full rights of the music. There are too many legal issues involved with 3rd parties. But you,as composer are entitiled to release the music, as OST, and to benefit the full revenues from it.Unless the film company was involved in the music creation process.But , of course, there are exceptions which may apply or not due to country PROs.