Audio is Coming to Elements

It’s very telling that Envato cites font usage as their example here.

Under what logic are font usage, video usage and background music usage (and lord knows what other assets offered by Elements) now considered of equal value, and all subject to sharing the same pie?

It is so sad. I’m a member for 6 years, yes I know others might be longer here, but I remember a couple of years ago where you could communicate with the staff at Envato directly on the forums, even Collis. Always respectful and objective, having a sense that Envato at least listens to what the Authors have to say. Nowadays I have the feeling that I have to deal with moderators who have their own interests in mind might it be to work for Envato, selling items or just win a fight on the forums. It’s like to deal with a bumper, while you just want to buy a cup of coffee.

So again, let’s stick to the facts here:

1.) The subscription model for Audio on Elements is a danger for Audiojungle authors because it a.) devalues music licensing and b.) drags away the customer base from Audiojungle to Elements.

You can always argue with “expanding” or “gaining a new group of customers”, but the reality is that many customers will most likely migrate from Audiojungle to Elements. And btw. Envato, why would you like to give away let’s say 100 tracks for 16$ instead of the share of one use of my track, which btw is around 18$? Is the competition so fierce? Is this a reason to head for the basement?

2.) Audio on Elements doesn’t feature any license model nor restrictions for Broadcast use. And this is of course linked to PRO use.

How on earth could I ever submit a PRO registered track to Elements if the subscription model is based on standard licenses and would grant customers the use of my music on whatever he wants? Wouldn’t that be a shot in the own foot? I would really be interested in how PROs see subscription models, I’m sure they don’t like the streaming model either.

Envato, could you please notice our concerns, real staff please? Someone who’s credible.

4 Likes

As someone who’s sincerely trying to understand the logic of the Elements model, I’m hoping someone (Envato staff preferably) could clarify this point:

Under the Elements model, are downloads of sound FX and complete music tracks compensated identically?

I have to readjust a bit my previous post after a couple of payouts from Elements.
My VH sales didn’t drop except the classic summer drop, so everything I’ve got from Elements has been an extra income…last Elements payout was 70% of my VH monthly income so basically my overall earnings have increased by 70% in the last month.
Now, while I’m happy to make more money I have to admit that I’m a bit worried because of the volume of sales on Elements since we have no idea of it, but I guess that I could have easily passed 2000+ sales if you consider that some items gave me 0.00$ and other 30$…
Elements will fill the demand very FAST and only time will tell if this is going to be profitable or not!

I still would like to choose which item to include in Elements instead of being forced to upload it all automatically though!

1 Like

Ricky, Thanks for joining in.

If I understand you correctly you are earning “on average” each month this (Using round figures as an example)

1. $1000 a month from the standard videohive market
  2. $700 “extra” on the Elements market.

If your items were not in elements you’d only make $1000? and the extra $700 that came from elements subscriber fees was extra income that you would not have had if it were not for elements?

Again, let’s use $1000 (only as an example) as an easy number to discuss your earnings situation on these 2 markets.

Exactly.
But we have got only 2 payouts and the first was just from beta-testers so I still don’t know how much would be the average income from Elements.
Maybe it’s been just the hype after the launch and in the next months everything is going to drop…I hope not but who knows, I still have to understand the psychology of Elements customers hehe!
Also consider that there’s a bonus each month, free money for all authors thanks to those subscribers who paid but didn’t download anything.

So your goal is to get as many “downloads” of your items as possible? The more your video files are downloaded, the more you earn? Or are you dependent on end customers entering data on usage, or getting a “license” issued for each project they use your video file in?

There’s absolutely no relevant datas in the report, you only see your items and their earnings, that’s it. No sales numbers, no license info, nothing at all, and you get to know your earnings once a month, around the 10/15th.
I don’t think it’s a matter of goals in Elements, there’s nothing an author can do to increase sales and to be honest I wouldn’t.
I hope none of my customer on VH will ever discover Elements because in my case I would be fkd! haha

Who is going to tell to the guy who bought me a 40$ items on VH that he could have had unlimited dowloads for a month 10$ cheaper? haha

Why is this question a reply to me and not addressed directly to Envato?

Are you one of the (more and more frequent) authors going to my sfx profile here, who then concludes: Oh! This guy has a bunch of sound effects to sell, what does he know about music? Or are you genuinely interested to know?

I’m thinking to put a disclaimer before each of my forum posts soon: I’m also a musician. :wink:

That said, I’m interested to hear the official answer to this question too. :slight_smile:

Finally, as a video editor please tell us how you personally want to license and source music? Buy 1 license at a time for each project, or subscribe and download an entire catalog to do whatever you please with on all your video projects?..and do you see yourself meticulously entering data each time you would use a track sourced from the elements market? I guess that means actually reporting usage of the track to envato so they no how to allocate points earned…?

Sorry if it seemed like I was asking you directly, but having seen your enthusiasm about Elements, and knowing from the past that you’re primarily an SFX creator, it occurred to me that, in general, the Elements model causes less devaluation to lower priced items like SFX than it does to higher priced items like full length tracks.
And if the compensation model does indeed make every asset equal in value with regard to revenue, then…Your enthusiasm is understandable. As is the lack of enthusiasm shared by many authors.

1 Like

It depends from what I have to do and the volume of items that I need. If I need to buy a lot of different items that exceed even 30$ then Elements is a great deal, otherwise if I’m going to spend less than 30…then Envato would be my choice. It also depends if the items that I need are on both market or not.
I’m not an Elements customer yet but I guess that sooner or later I’m going to spend those 30$ and enjoy those 30days of download madness haha!
Reporting the usage of items from Elements could be actually a good thing though, a bit time consuming but maybe, maaaaybe it could limit the number of items ending up on warez sites.

That’s what I hope, but I won’t hold my breath. :wink:

But hey, you could start to make sound effects? Easy extra-money, I say!

Disclaimer: Only if you’re able to compete with crazies like me, Marbury or the other sound effects authors who puts a lot of efforts in what they do. Are you up to the challenge? :sunglasses:

Clearly you must spend more than $30 a month licensing music no? So it seems like you are looking forward to tons of tracks at that bargain basement price of $16.50 a month or $198 a year. How much do you spend on music licenses every month? every year typically? Your answers (as a typical video editing client) and your insight helps the discussion.

Let’s see
Looks like the first two statements will cancel the next two ones.
More likely billions of new corporates, ukuleles and cinematics and will come)

All author will NEED to appeal a major customer. What “uniqueness” can we talk about here?)
Looks like with Elements authors will need to create really more standart content to stay alive

What about other gunres? Well, you can write some high quality hard rock, but it won’t be saled, more likely).
Or it will be saled 1 time among hundreds of other “broadly appealing items” for 10 cents. And there will be no ADP to rescue you.
Way to go! :slight_smile:

I am an author here not a customer, I’ve only bought items that I’ve used for personal use so I’m not really the right person to give this kind of information :grinning:
In a customer mentality, I would just buy the items that suit my needs in the cheapest marketplace :joy:

oh so you edit video for envato?

Yes I produce and sell stock footage and motion graphics on VH! :slight_smile:

Guys, can we just wait for Envato to respond to our questions first?
We don’t know how exactly music will be implemented on Elements.

I admit I was also a bit too quick in my earlier post, that’s because I always like to think of the future and grab opportunities at the right time. And I still think subscriptions are the future in the digital world. Maybe I’m wrong, but I like to keep an open mind until I know the details.
One thing is for sure, Envato promotes Elements aggressively across the whole market and it’s taking away a lot of customers.

But of course, I will not work for 10$ a month. It is highly unlikely this will be the case, nobody will work for such a low monthly revenue. If this was the case, Elements would shut down very fast. I’m sure Envato knows this, and they probably did the calculations to make a sustainable model.

@SteelSound , you’ve said a lot of times on the forum that overall revenue is all that matters. What if I can double my monthly earnings on Elements? Can you prove to me this is impossible? You can’t, because only Envato knows the numbers for now. Yes, you give away music for a lot less money per unit, but customer base can be huge and it can grow very fast. (on a lot less saturated market) Currently, I earn more than 1k$/month on Envato, and I’m not ready to give up on that, it’s a lot of money for my standard. I’m ready to take some risks, but I’m not crazy…
Let’s say I can double my monthly earnings with Elements, will this justify giving music for cents per unit?

We don’t know how this will work, and we don’t know the potential of it and how much it can grow. Once we get answers from Envato, it will be a much easier decision.

3 Likes

Short term you could make a quick bit of cash if you’re one the few getting thousands of sales but eventually everyone will flood in and then there’s thousands of composers splitting the sales again. Then the model has become the norm. The only way is if the backend for these tracks on YouTube, TV etc is regulated much better and we get a cut. We won’t though. It’s hard to be positive but I have an open mind. An open mind that says I’ll probably have to quit if these new models keep driving the prices down…