AdRev - Are you serious.

I purchased the rights to use music from Envato 2+ years ago. Today I received a copyright notice on the video with said music. I did a bit of pokin around and found out Envato is one of adrevs clients.

Well crap on me and call me stupid. I’m paying these guys to annoy me. I have an easy solution for that.

This article has steps to follow to clear Content ID copyright notices and other related information:

I figured out how to fix the dispute.

There has to be a better way to do this though. If I hadn’t responded in a timely manner. I would have lost revenue from views during this time.

1 Like

I’m curious - did they just take down the video until cleared or did you have a grace period? One of the reasons I’ve chosen not to have Adrev on my tracks is because I know that if a youtuber has a take-down for even a few hours, it can seriously hurt their views.

This is what i was sent.

Due to a copyright claim, you are no longer monetizing the following YouTube video. It is still playable on YouTube, but the copyright owner could choose to show ads on it.

Thanks - that is annoying. They should at least give 24 hours grace period. I guess I’ll stay off adrev for the time being.

I have the impression, that after you have sent the dispute, all the revenue that is being received while the dispute is being handled will go to you after it has been cleared. So only revenue that is being “lost” or given to the musician will be from the time between claim and filing the dispute. This is of course is then based on your level of activity on your admin screen, probably between few hours to a day. So it has to be really viral video for that amount to actually matter at all. But in any case I agree that the system should be better. Just saying that in practicality the effect should be almost meaningless for any normal video.

That is most likely the wrong impression though. :smile:

But these problems only really come up when music is registered retroactively with AdRev - say, after 1-2 years of already being online and sold. For new tracks these problems shouldn’t occur as claims would be made upon upload.

Interesting how AJ won’t allow PRO music (which has zero effect on customers), but allows AdRev, which sounds like a pain in the butt, and adds barely pennies to the composer. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

2 Likes