Your preference on Pan Depth/Pan Laws

Trying to learn more about this.

Recent versions of Pro Tools give the option of Pan Depth at -2.5, -3.0, -4.5, and -6 db. I researched a little and it seems that that number is the amount of db cut from centered panning information. So more db cut out of the center = a wider pan. Older versions of PT defaulted to (and I think only offered) -2.5 db. Now it defaults to -3.0. But one of my friends (college roommate/best man in my wedding) is a producer at Sweetwater and says he prefers -4.5.

What do you guys think/know about this. Odds are, you know more than me. :wink:

Thanks!

I’ve never experimented in depth with the panning law. I always leave it to Equal Power in Cubase :slight_smile:

Pan law doesn’t really change anything in the final product (i.e. you don’t get a ‘wider’ mix from using a different pan law)

The only thing the pan law affects is how the levels change as you move a source across the stereo field. If you start mix at a given pan law, whatever that is -
you will compensate for it while mixing, nothing changes in the final result. Its just a different kind of workflow to the same problem, that is… changing the sounds position and how loud it is.

garethcoker said

Pan law doesn’t really change anything in the final product (i.e. you don’t get a ‘wider’ mix from using a different pan law)

The only thing the pan law affects is how the levels change as you move a source across the stereo field. If you start mix at a given pan law, whatever that is -
you will compensate for it while mixing, nothing changes in the final result. Its just a different kind of workflow to the same problem, that is… changing the sounds position and how loud it is.

Okay. I think I understand. So do you not mess with it at all? Just work from the default setting of -3db? I was secretly hoping you’d chime in, Gareth. I value your wisdom.

I may be wrong but I thought this was to do with how certain mixers work so you can have the same workflow both digitally and via analogue.

Hi there. First post to to forums, yay!

The pan law has to do with the fact, that when playing sound from 2 speakers at the same time, the sounds panned to middle will have a boost of about 6 decibels without compensation. The most common pan law is -3dB, which means things panned dead center will be boosted about 3 decibels.

It is a workflow thing and the pan law affects the way your stereo system fits your acoustics and how mono compatible your stereo mix will be. For example having a -6dB rule will play at the same level in mono as your stereo mix, because the center position level is compensated in full. -4.5dB law has been said to have been designed for very good, acoustically designed rooms and is closer to being totally mono-compatible. Most commonly this was used on old Solid State Logic consoles. The -3dB law is the most commonly used because it is a good compromise.

Some laws can be more suited for different listening/monitoring environments. It probably makes no big difference to the end product, but I have noticed that using a steeper pan law can make panning sound wider when mixing, because it automatically changes/compensates the level more.

I prefer -3 and -4.5 laws.

I’m not sure of the equal loudness though. I assume it uses some kind of a designed curve, but I’m not sure. Maybe it boosts the side and attenuates the center at the same time? Could it be doing +3dB compensation on sides and -3dB at center?

All the best,
Werihukka

Usually you can change the pan law during a mixing session, so once your mix is ‘done’ try experimenting with different ones and see what you like best.