You may want to keep an eye on Google AMP

Originally published at: https://community.envato.com/you-may-want-to-keep-an-eye-on-google-amp/

Right now the world seems to want two things: to view websites on their mobile phones, and for those websites to load fast.

Over the past twelve months we’ve seen Facebook launch “Instant Articles”, Apple Launch “Apple News”, and now - just last month - Google launch its much anticipated Accelerated Mobile Platform (AMP).

As Tuts+ discovered recently, the funny thing about AMP pages is that they’re not actually going to make every website on earth load faster, referring to an AMP Project article:

“Every web page can have these optimizations, but AMP pages cannot not have them. While this article is about optimizations in AMP, it might also be useful as a kind of todo list for optimizing a non-AMP website.”

But what this project may do is incite a wave of change amongst popular websites, creating a new standard for how quickly websites should load on mobile. Which is why it’s important to pay attention to this upcoming trend.

As the Tuts+ tests show, right now leaner websites probably aren’t going to experience much of an improvement in load time when converted to the AMP format. In fact, most saw a slight downgrade, taking longer to load if anything. However, the ideal candidate for the AMP treatment are sites with lots of heavy content, most notably news sites, and according to Digiday they’re signing up to be a part of Google’s AMP in droves.

Many of the world’s biggest publishers, including The Washington Post, The Guardian, and BuzzFeed have all jumped - albeit skeptically - into Facebook’s “Instant Articles” project, which has made the experience of reading their content on its social media app a much smoother experience. However with Google’s AMP, they’ve been less hesitant to take part thanks to its open-source nature - setting the scene for this platform to become an internet standard, but also because it provides publishers who who work under a subscription model to maintain their paywalls, something “Instant Articles” and “Apple News” doesn’t allow them to do.

Which may be why AMP - which is less than a month old - has already seen The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, Daily Mail and Mic join the platform in the US, and European publishers like The Guardian, International Business Times, Trinity Mirror, Financial Times and Axel Springer also come on board.

Claiming load speeds 85% faster than what they are currently, Google has told Digiday they’ve got 6,000 developers working on developing pages for AMP.

WordPress is coming to the party as well, with Search Engine Land reporting an official plugin by Automattic/WordPress has been developed and consistently updated to help implement AMP on WordPress websites.

And this development isn’t completely out of the blue. We’ve seen Google and other search engines trying to move things in this direction for quite some time with things like Schema.org, a collaboration between Google, Microsoft and Yahoo! designed to help search engines understand the information on web pages, and provide more detail within search results established a while back. In-fact some of our ThemeForest items already offer “Schema Support”.

But once again, Google AMP isn’t something every website should be adopting right away. It’s something to keep an eye on, if for no other reason than because Google is choosing to make converting web pages to this diet HTML a priority.

Google holds the keys to a lot of castles on the internet, and it will be fascinating to watch and see whether this trend of standardized fast loading pages become favored by its search engine results.

As I said, you may want to keep an eye on this.

2 Likes

Just watch out not to use it on Stock items. The license is non-commercial. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Enabled, curious what your source is for this information?

I believe the AMP project is open source and licensed under Apache 2.0 https://github.com/ampproject/amphtml/blob/master/LICENSE which allows commercial use.

The Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) Project is an open source initiative that embodies the vision that publishers can create mobile optimized content once and have it load instantly everywhere.

Did you read the license all the way down? Try this and you shall find Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

It’s an edited version of Apache!

See my point? Someone should ask Google for clarification about this before items get released, I doubt anyone wants to see if Google sends DMCA’s …

Another interesting piece of news…

So, can we build items on ThemeForest using AMP, or not, because this is really quite stressful. Which is the correct license? :slight_smile: No offence, but I don’t want to find out how a DMCA from Google tastes like. Looking forward to an official reply!

AMP can’t pass W3C validate :smiley: so no matter what license is, TF will reject you :stuck_out_tongue:

Uhm, no they won’t, they reject validations where there are very critical errors, like divs in anchors, but there are things that won’t validate, and it’s the only way to do, like the tel: and sms: href’s. That’s not the issue here. The issue is the license. I need a definitive answer on this matter. Cheers :slight_smile:

I am looking to buy AMP templates and landed on this page. So does that mean its not going to be available on TF ever? :persevere:

Hey @Enabled sorry for the delay! Looking a bit deeper at the license page you linked to: https://github.com/ampproject/docs/blob/master/LICENSE, at the very top it clarifies:

All image and audio files (including *.png, *.jpg, *.svg, *.mp3, *.wav
and *.ogg) are licensed under the CC-BY-NC license. All other files are
licensed under the Apache 2 license.

Additionally on the readme page you’ll see:

License

Copyright 2015 Google, Inc.

Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership. The ASF licenses this file to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

So not quite a modified Apache license here, but more looks like the different licenses simply apply to different assets on the repository. While the media (image and audio) files are CC-BY-NC, all the software/code appears to be completely open source. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks @EricSchwartz, I wanted to build items using AMP, but wasn’t sure about the license, and honestly, I don’t want to taste a DMCA, especially one from Google! :laughing:

Cheers, and thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

Regarding the commercial use of an apache software 2.0 license you may check this stackexchange

At the moment I’m using amp for a project inside my organization, I’m looking for the right way to distribute this code here on themeforest.
As they say in this stackexchange:

“For ASL, the only significant restriction is that you must say if you have changed anything from the original version the ASL’ed code that you using.”

I’ll probably have a try distributing my html5 amp package here under the gpl3.0 license which is compatible with apache.
I was wondering about the verification process because I used native amp webcomponent in my html pages…
Anyways speeds up a lot the loading time and loosing too much javascript doesn’t seem to be that painful…

My two cents,
organization page

Almost a year now, there are some decent products made using AMP (including WP AMP Ninja), and AMP seems to be gaining more momentum with the announcements from the first ever #AMPConf. More search engines and platforms are going to serve AMP pages to their users. It’s time to go AMP!

Glad to see some follow up on this topic.

Interested in writing something about it @wptechninja for the Envato Blog?

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea, where do I start?

Hi, I published this tut:
https://jilt.github.io/ampprojectforwordpress/#/
About coding wp themes with ampproject, I’d be interested in publishing an article on ampproject themes licensing, would you be interested in this topic?

Yeah, I think that’d be interesting!

Would you be cool to write something weighing up the pros and cons of AMP, mixed with some sort of list of the best WordPress themes/tools to do it?

I’d love to put in practice what I’ve learned about the amp elements built by automattic for wordpress and to have a chance to understand better the new course for contributed components:

I’d talk about licensing on this first part of the article.
Then I would like fucus on the amp-form element also, explaining how it works with a single step by step tut, this element is still a bit tricky for developers to use in most plugins-templates I’ve see.
I may then make a list of plugins and theming samples for wordpress, drupal, jekyll and ghost.
Would it be ok like that?

Would those plugins be ones we sell on CodeCanyon? If not, can you think of a way to tie some appropriate Themes/Plugins from Envato into your list?

Also, do you anticipate this being useful content for customers? I’m looking for an angle that would help them understand the benefits of AMP and whether they should consider making it a priority to have their sites be AMP optimized.