Howdy fellow authors,
My name is Sujay. I’m the co-founder of Brainstorm Force and we’re known for our WordPress Plugins on CodeCanyon like ConvertPlug. Last week, we reached an important milestone of becoming a Power Elite author here on Envato Market. It took us about 3.5 years of hard work and some sleepless nights. But the journey has been fun, rewarding and a very learning experience.
As per the Envato tradition, today I have a chance to share my top three learnings with your guys and here you go
Tip #1: Don’t be faceless
Probably this is the #1 advise I would give to all fellow Envato authors. Users want to know who they are buying from. So show your faces. Tell them your real story and build your brand.
Tip #2: Marketing is just as important as building products .
How many times you think of marketing just as you plan your products and features? If you can’t get the word out about the feature you built, probably no one would even notice it. Document every single thing you do and let people know about it.
Most of us here on Envato are makers. We like to build things and don’t have much love for the marketing. But here are some tips which you can start doing easily today:
- Build your email list. Send periodic newsletters about your plans, achievements and happenings.
- Write descriptive changelogs. Rather than a block of text with a technical lingo, let your customers know what has changed in more descriptive way.
- Explain how to use that new feature. Create small videos. Visuals work like nothing else.
- Blog often about relevant things. Offer advice, freebies, tips and techniques.
- Spend dedicated time on your sales pages and website. Always keep working on them.
Marketing is nothing but good communication skills!
Tip #3: Position yourself as a professional.
People like to buy from experts and trust is probably the most important thing in any business transition. So build your reputation.
- Participate in the development core WordPress and other open source projects
- Attend WordCamps
- Speak in the meet-ups near you
- Share your knowledge with others through blog posts, YouTube videos, forums, etc.
- Be nice with everyone. Ex - Don’t lose your calm over a negative rating. Rather take it positively and thank customer for the feedback.
Well, that’s almost about it. If you guys have any questions for me, I would be very glad to answer them for you