Xhail - The End of Us All?

I’m just waiting for someone to make a career using this thing to write all of the music they submit to AudioJungle.

Seriously though, once this type of program becomes more common, how will sites like AudioJungle screen for compositions made with it?

Xhail Preview:
http://vimeo.com/104488077

This is too scary for words.

Looks positively boring. Guys, get ready for an already over-saturated market to become positively flooded. What happens when you type in Hans Zimmer? :slight_smile:

ugh.

If this does become a problem, one thing AudioJungle could do is require authors to cite which sample libraries and virtual instruments we used in our tracks. While it’s impossible to know how all of them sound, the reviewers here are quite knowledgeable and will be familiar with most of the software we all use to create our compositions. By citing our libraries, they’ll be able to cross check with samples made available by the sample companies’ videos or audio previews. It will be a big task, but it’s better than people submitting and getting paid for 100% unoriginal music on here.

Also, once this product is officially released, I think everyone at AudioJungle should take it upon themselves to become very familiar with its sonic qualities so they can spot an Xhail piece more or less right away, or at least be able to flag one that’s suspect. I’d imagine that this program only has at most a few varieties (possibly a single variety) of each instrument. So, learn what an Xhail glockenspiel sounds like. Learn what an Xhail piano sounds like. After a lot of exposure to music made by Xhail, it will become easier to recognize.

I should say that I recognize and understand the absolute gargantuan amount of work that must have went into making a program like this. The team behind it are obviously extremely talented, musical, and skilled, so I applaud them for what they’ve achieved. The geek in me is actually quite impressed that they were able to get it to sound as good as it does, albeit lacking in originality and humanity. But they had to know going into this that they would experience a lot of resistance from the composer community.

English is my second language and If I understood the video with its idea correctly, It reminded me of a story of android woman asking a man: “why don’t you want to marry me, I am fully functional and less complicated than a real woman?” - man answered: “You sound awesome, look awesome, but you are not a real woman, you are boring”.

With other explanation it’s a bit insulting for musicians who play instruments to see something like that. But I am sure there will always be people who would appreciate a real music composed by the real people and that would always be in options. :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention how the music of that video sounds dramatic, like warning us for something really dangerous… :smiley:

It should be fairly easy to spot from a melody perspective. I don’t think it’s possible to generate a complicated, beautiful, and unique melody procedurally, so a melody that lasts longer than a measure or two should be pretty good assurance that it wasn’t made by a program. Ditto for music that features solos. Unfortunately, not much stock music needs to be melodic or have solos, so yes, it’s going to be a daunting task to weed out procedurally generated music!

HOWEVER, nothing on their website that I can see has any information about pricing. If it is a web-based service, it will probably be on a per-track basis, and since the website talks about royalties for “session musicians” I imagine they probably don’t want their procedurally generated music being resold on stock music sites and probably won’t grant a license to do so.

Yes, first and foremost this is a production music library on its own. They’ve used musicians and producers who has written phrases and pieces of music for them according to a certain blue print in midi file format. These phrases are then automatically arranged in the arranger based on tags, key, tempo and so forth. You can read all about it on the webpage. It wont write automatic melodies. It arranges ready made phrases in different ways to make a new piece of music each time.

All music is PRO and is aimed for the end user.

I doubt it will be cheap to license and no chance in hell the license agreement will allow the music to be used for other production music libraries. They wont give away their material to the competition.

Interesting concept non the less.

OK - so much for composers :frowning:

Who will be next? Writers?? - you tag - romantic, love, sex, murded, happy end - press “WRITE” button and a novel will be generated??

This is sooooo wrong - soooo wrong!!!

Interesting indeed, but I doubt it would affect AJ very much.
The License will probably be a bit higher since every piece of music is unique. It’s all PRO music and there is no way a composer can legally submit such pieces of music to AJ or any other library.
Even if you could I highly doubt it would be worth the expense.

Concepts like this should be banned. I mean come on, people are busting their asses to create music, and in 10 years or so from now our knowledge won’t be necessary anymore? That’s sad…

Synchrotron said

Yes, first and foremost this is a production music library on its own. They’ve used musicians and producers who has written phrases and pieces of music for them according to a certain blue print in midi file format. These phrases are then automatically arranged in the arranger based on tags, key, tempo and so forth. You can read all about it on the webpage. It wont write automatic melodies. It arranges ready made phrases in different ways to make a new piece of music each time.

All music is PRO and is aimed for the end user.

I doubt it will be cheap to license and no chance in hell the license agreement will allow the music to be used for other production music libraries. They wont give away their material to the competition.

Interesting concept non the less.

Thanks for clearing that up. In bad form I watched the video and didn’t research any further before sharing it here. Wonderful composer Eric Whitaker had shared this on his Facebook page with the comment “The end is near.” If Eric Whitaker is worried, surely we all should be , I thought. Haha! Knowing that it’s pre-recorded and PRO registered makes me feel a bit better. I’m assuming now that you can’t just click the generate button, print, click, print to your heart’s content and get to use all that music however you see fit. If each generated track must be licensed individually to an end user than it’s not as big a threat to us here at AJ. However, as a composer who absolutely loves the creative process, as well as the collaborative process when it comes to writing for media, I can’t help but look at a service like this and get a pit in my stomach. It just doesn’t sit right with me.

Comments were disabled for the video, wonder why? I wasn’t that impressed with it, I’ve heard much better here. Unless it’s free most people would probably rather buy a track than take the time to learn it and spend the money to pay for it. There are a lot of people here who can master a track so it sounds much better, than the sum of the tracks just slammed together by software. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, human music is better to other humans because of the emotions in it.

:slight_smile: It’s predefined loop player tool with adjustable elements nothing special. It works like search engine for multitrack songs. All of the voodoo marketing makes me laugh. But I can imagine that it might be sth like AJ and there must be people who produce all this stuff for this tool.

PaBlikMM said

Who will be next? Writers?? - you tag - romantic, love, sex, murded, happy end - press “WRITE” button and a novel will be generated??

That’s exactly how things are done in Orwel’s dystopian novel “1984” writen in 1949, music and books are generated by machines on kaleidoscope principle. The phrase “Big Brother is watching you” is from there. Looks like it’s starting to come true.

It’s for a video producer who always wanted to be a musician (and who has some basic skills). I think they will be bored after a few try.

They call it “Music Revolution…”??? It’s f…cking music degeneration!!!

This is wrong? Ban this thing?.. Guys, two words:

Technological Unemployment

It is inevitable. It will happen. Get emotional about it or not. Even if this particular program will fail, dozens of others will follow.

Let’s take a non-musical example. Did you ever think how many people will be unemployed because of the automated (Google) car? I hesitate to guess the number. Millions, upon millions, upon millions. Taxi drivers, truck drivers, couriers, car rental drivers… Hey, and how about that affordable 3D printing right at home? That is coming even sooner than the automated cars.

No doubt, “human music” is here to stay in various forms. But just like nearly every activity of human life, music creation will get largely automated, the benefits will be too numerous. And yes, many music licensing genres are just perfect for that.