WPMU/WordPress MultiSite Plugin Licensing

Hey everyone,

I have a buyer who emailed me regarding support for a WPMU install he is running using my WP menu plugin (he has a regular license). My understanding is that WPMU/Multisite would not fall under the regular/single use license, but would require an extended license. I know that’s how it works on Themeforest, but the two are not always analogous.

I’ve read each of these in detail and neither seems to address the point directly:

http://themeforest.net/wiki/support/legal-terms/licensing-terms/

http://wiki.envato.com/buying/licenses-buying/codecanyon-regular-and-extended-license-usage-examples/#plugins

I believe the extended license is appropriate, given that WPMU is really “multiple sites”, as well as this from the extended license text, which seems to be the closest thing to WPMU:

(g) You may display the Work, and make the Work available for use by an unlimited number of your clients, in conjunction with a web site service that you host on behalf of your clients. When using the Work through a web site service, you may make unlimited copies of the Work but you must procure that your clients do not reproduce or use the Work in another application.

I’ll contact support for an official response, but I wanted to check here to see if I can get some feedback more quickly so I can respond to the buyer with accurate information.

I know this has been brought up several other times, but without a definitive resolution from CodeCanyon as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

Chris

sevenspark said

Hey everyone,

I have a buyer who emailed me regarding support for a WPMU install he is running using my WP menu plugin (he has a regular license). My understanding is that WPMU/Multisite would not fall under the regular/single use license, but would require an extended license. I know that’s how it works on Themeforest, but the two are not always analogous.

Thanks!

Chris

Hello Chris

I’ve always told our clients that they had to buy the Extended License if they wanted to use one of our plugins on a WPMS installation. As you say it is not 100% clear, but I’ve also been referring to how it works on Themeforest (buy an Extended license to use a theme with WPMS).

Best
Richard

Thanks, Richard. I appreciate the response and I definitely agree with you :slight_smile: Glad to hear that has been how you’ve been explaining it as well

Hopefully we’ll get an official response and maybe get that wiki page updated as well so that we can point buyers to an official information source.

Just wanted to report that I heard back from CodeCanyon support, and the official word is that yes, WPMU/WPMS requires an Extended License

Yes - they would need to purchase the extended license. :)

Jeffrey

Hope that helps clear things up for future authors/buyers :slight_smile:

Hi Chris

Ok, that is great new. Then we just need to them to update the Wiki on this. And hopefully we will also get a clarification why the Extended license on WP plugins was lowered from 7x to 5x when the Wiki still says 7x :slight_smile:

Best
Richard