WP theme author not responding to PH5.3 issue

wordpress

Hi guys,
I recently bought a nice minimalistic Wordpress theme on Themeforest (https://themeforest.net/item/charm-portfolio-for-freelancers-agencies/11364023?ref=ThemeRain). It’s a nice theme, but there’s an issue with the contact form.
I’m getting an error message when I submit the form. The error message mentions “eregi”, and I’ve been advised by my webhost (1&1) that “eregi” refers to PH5.2, whereas 1&1 is now a 5.3 service.

Stepping back to PHP5.2 will incur a monthly cost. They’ve advised me to ask the author to update the contact form to PHP5.3. They claimed its should be a relatively quick fix.

However, I can’t get hold of the author. And the comments section seems full of people failing to get hold of the author too.

So I wondered what my next move here is?

Huge thanks in advance for any help. I’m by no means a coder. My site is almost ready now, and I really just need the contact form to work.

Error message reads:

The error message I’m getting is the following:
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function eregi() in /homepages/8/d399019621/htdocs/clickandbuilds/CharlesWren/wp-content/themes/charm/template-contact.php:12 Stack trace: #0 /homepages/8/d399019621/htdocs/clickandbuilds/CharlesWren/wp-includes/template-loader.php(74): include() #1 /homepages/8/d399019621/htdocs/clickandbuilds/CharlesWren/wp-blog-header.php(19): require_once(’/homepages/8/d3…’) #2 /homepages/8/d399019621/htdocs/clickandbuilds/CharlesWren/index.php(17): require(’/homepages/8/d3…’) #3 {main} thrown in /homepages/8/d399019621/htdocs/clickandbuilds/CharlesWren/wp-content/themes/charm/template-contact.php on line 12

Hey,

WordPress OFFICIALLY supports 5.4+
and so, you do have to update.

Let us know