WordPress Requirements Update and New Gutenberg Optimized Attribute

As a WordPress front end developer, I came here specifically to post my HUGE OPPOSITION to include this HORRIBLE, NIGHTMARE Gutenburg editor in all themes. What were you thinking Envato?? Seriously, how are you exactly benefitting from this by foisting this horrible plugin not only on all backend theme developers who have to spend hours and hours updating their themes with this requirement, but we front end developers who have to spend untold hours dealing with this crappy editor that RIDDLED WITH BUGS?

The huge majority of the entire WP Community (front and backend developers) hates this editor and for very good reason. It literally has a 2 rating on WordPress dot org with several thousand reviews yet you blatantly ignored all of that. It begs to be asked why Envato did not listen to all of us and went ahead with senseless requirement.

When I updated my theme a few weeks back I didn’t realize this editor was now standard and I ended up WASTING HOURS OF TIME figuring out why my old editor was gone, what this new “window” is at the top of my Page Editor (there was literally NO information about this new editor, no instructions, no mention of what it was for or even that my Page Editor was changed nor where to post discussions about bugs… nothing.) When I tried using it I couldn’t even post a Slider Revolution Slider to my page, it was constantly giving me error messages. I couldn’t even UPDATE my Page with this stupid editor active. IT IS A NIGHTMARE. My theme developers have had to spend DAYS and DAYS of their own time and money making this horrible change to all of their Themes. This is nothing but a waste of everyone’s time.

It’s such a huge head scratcher as to why Envato is ignoring the entire WP Community with new requirement, all I can think is that somehow Envato is making money off this. That’s the only thing that motivates this company. One more black eye on Envato Market in my opinion. We need to have another place to sell digital material, Envato has too much market share and ends up foisting ridiculous requirements on everyone like this.

(Another ridiculous change Envato made a couple years ago: WP Theme developers cannot include a setting to change the scrolling attributes of your site. I had to find a plugin to do it. Completely pointless.)

3 Likes

I have created a new thread for this question but I got no answers for that so I am posting it here.

The envato theme check plugin is still showing “The theme appears to use dynamic_sidebars() but no register_sidebar() was found” error.

I hope as per the new WordPress requirements [WordPress Requirements Update and New Gutenberg Optimized Attribute] Widgets can’t be registered with WordPress theme side as it is Plugin Territory Functionality.

@StephenCronin @steve_lam or others, Please correct me if I am wrong. Reviewers are soft rejecting themes for this.

Widgets should be registered via plugin, but sidebars should be registered via theme.

2 Likes

@LSVRthemes Thanks for your reply!

After 1 year and a lot of work we finally got the compliance badge. But nothing happens - i just see a small bump in search results (1 place) - from like 5th place to 4th place for a search term. The ones in front of my themes do not have the badge or a big number of sales

So, is that all ? We worked tons of hours just to get a badge ? So far it looks like a waste of time since our themes were secure and 100% functional.

Thanks

4 Likes

I feel your pain. I sell on CodeCanyon, i updated 94+ plugins to match new requirements, took me 4+ months of non-stop work, and in my case, not even a 1 place increase in search rankings (because search algorithm tweak applies only to ThemeForest). I just got the badge, but i am still proud of it. I see it as a recognition, but still, without any (much needed) extra perks.

So we passed 1st June 2019. Reminder: this was the deadline for updating plugins and themes to match new requirements. But still, no one seems to care. :slight_smile: I am not saying this is good or bad, just curious what and when will something happen in this topic (because there were some pretty serious announcements about this a while back).

2 Likes

This thread is so helpful and well informative.

Hi all,
Also we god our badge, we are proud with it.
We worked many hours to fix them, our help waa that we had many themes on new requirements but also we had many days of work.

I see this month sales are also less then last months, also last months are less then others but we try to work more and hopping will be better.

Good luck

1 Like

The update takes time ))) Also if I use only shortcodes for output, should I create gutenberg blocks too or not?

No, Gutenberg blocks are not required.

1 Like

We believe many authors not aware of this requirement. Envato must send email to authors about this and increase deadline.

Any updates here? The deadline has passed long time ago. I was very excited when you have start this topic because I had believe that you will start to “clean the market”. There are a lot of items which are last time updated in 2015, 2016 and 2017 and which are still there as best selling items. All this items are out of date (both) - design and the technical (code) part are out of date.

So you think Envato will remove their best selling items?

1 Like

They have never said what the consequences will be for authors which does not update the theme to the latest requirements (obvious nothing for now) but I was hope that they will temporarily hide items like this and keep them hidden until update.

There is a item with 7k sales, last time updated in 2016 and author does not provide support for item - I really don’t see the point of this item anymore.

*Update - this “best selling item” with 7k sales, in the whole 2019 (7 months) has been sold 13 times.

3 Likes

I can confirm the massive drop in income from end of may and the bad author supporting with a quickly badly altered search algorithm to accommodate the new badge compliance. Our item got pushed down hard (we got it up a bit) and others which are inferior to our in all ways and without the badge stayed up.

I explained it here Search algorithm and what is happening with Envato elite support?

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Author ticket system doesn’t work

Guys, I think we should just relax, and enjoy life. :slight_smile:

Hi,
We have gutenberg for all themes but nothing new, only over 90% drop sales.
When we spent much time with compliance badge we hope that will bring new sales or more traffic, but i see that is opposite…

5 Likes