WordPress on Elements - Author Information

Guys, please keep conversations about copyright infringement off the forums. I’ve deleted some replies, but it would be a great idea not to advertise these more. Cheers.

1 Like

If you prefer a “short answer” (because there will be “long answers” too :wink: ) , please let me confirm a very basic, simple, awful TRUTH, friend… After WordPress Elements, profit per author will dramatically decrease in WordPress category (just like the same with the other categories that added to Elements).

You can be 100% sure about that :wink:

So, looks like a community, right?

3 Likes

So what was the profit per author on categories included in Elements before Elements, and what is it now? If you’re saying it has dramatically decreased then you must be basing that on some concrete figures…surely even you wouldn’t make a statement like that based on just opinions, intuition and feelings?

Maybe it’s a statement based on logic.
Let’s say I sell cars, with a car’s price at X$. Then a competitor comes and sells not one, but unlimited cars and at half my price (not to mention he advertises his business with a banner on my car shop). Taking into consideration that for the auto market it’s a good thing and will probably experience a growth, part of my clients will be drawn for sure by the competitor and thus less sales for me.

Speaking as a buyer, not an author, I wonder how much impact it will have?

Assuming that buyers are made fully aware of the fact that buying a theme from Elements is different then perhaps this would impact their decision back to regular purchases?

1. If they know that Elements will cost more than the $29 (we don’t yet know exactly how much) and likely quite a bit more than $59 also PLUS will require an annual plan (a very sensible addition by envato) - would this potentially sizeable initial outlay put some off?

2. If they understand that support and updates etc. are not included then again could this also be a deterrent?

I know people will just argue that neither of these points matters because they are getting “unlimited” theme downloads but in actual fact what % of buyers really want to be able to download unlimited themes when common sense says that they can only use one at a time, at more importantly every time WP updates their download risks being out of date with no access to update, whereby potentially making a number of them redundant?

The danger, of course, is that we all know a big % of buyers get very excited especially by special offers and jump in head first without educating themselves or reading the details. I’m sure there will be a market for WP Elements, but I do think that, at least the more experienced buyers, may not jump ship as fast as some people think they will.

4 Likes

I was just about to say that. The only kind of buyer that needs ‘unlimited’ themes is going to be an agency or a freelancer who makes websites for clients. And if that was me, I wouldn’t want to be charging clients for a website for which I have no support if anything goes wrong, and I’d also prefer the wider choice that you’ll get on Themeforest. It’s unlikely there will be anywhere near the ten thousand themes on the marketplace.

Valid point on the annual membership. It’s not ‘unlimited cars for half the price’… it’s ‘an unlimited number of files from a limited selection of files, with no support, for at least five times the price of your one car’. That makes it slightly less appealing!

3 Likes

The better example would be seling autoparts or subscribing to all autoparts.

80% of our clients which do open a ticket on support are so called agencies. So its a real concerne for us.

And the best possible example would be buying/selling individual digital goods on the Envato marketplaces, and a subscription service for lots of digital goods through Elements. As these things actually exist, there’s no real need to provide other examples! Unless you get somebody who doesn’t understand the concept of Elements, obviously… you guys examples would be good!

It’s a good question. Practically speaking it’s a tough nut to crack. If we were to somehow limit the ability of Elements subscribers to participate fully on Market that could have unintended consequences. Just because they’re a subscriber on Elements, doesn’t mean they’ll stop normal purchases on Market.

Limiting access to functionality on a per item level is also a massive piece of development work to take on for a very small number of items we’re looking to include.

When WordPress launches on Elements, there will be a number of subscriber behaviours to monitor. This is part of the reason we’re starting with a small number of items. We’ll adapt and adjust as we learn more about how subscribers interact with the WP items available to them.

2 Likes

That’s a very fair point that I’ve overlooked. Thanks for that mate, fingers crossed that it all runs smoothly! You’re right, the small amount of authors will make my concerns easier to monitor.

6 Likes

Hi Jamesgiroux

I’m new User In envato can You Please send me The Invitation.

Please stop posting links to portfolio guys! Staff will reach out for things like this or a separate thread will be created. This thread is just discussions about WordPress on Elements, not invitations for authors. Cheers!

2 Likes

So for someone paying 19/month, that person would pay 228 for the year in advance. Correct? Just want to make sure that the new billing agreement isn’t attached with other changes.

Regardless of the above, you are changing the agreement you made with your clients. Your clients subscribed with one understanding, and now you’re saying “hey… well… some categories are only to those that pay a full year in advance”.

Anyway you slice it, you’re failing on your promise.

Maybe I’m old school, to me, my word is my bond. I never, ever, step back on any agreement I made, even if it costs me money. Which is not even your case.

So I wonder why exactly do you need to do this? what’s the intent? is it a way to address the authors concerns? if yes, which. Or is it just an attempt to lock more people into a one year subscription?

My issue here is with how you treat the agreements you make with your clients, because honestly, I couldn’t care less about WordPress. But I might care about some other “special” category in the future…

The promise, as you’ve stated, is that people will “get access to every item from an ever increasing collections of items and categories”. That isn’t changing. The ‘promise’ doesn’t mention anything about prices, durations or terms.

To start with, let me be clear that I have low tolerance for semantics.

Let me quote Envato explanation of what Envato elements is.

So how does it work?

Elements showcases and curates a beautiful and constantly evolving library of content. Users pay a monthly subscription fee which gives them complete and unlimited access to the full extent of the library’s items. All downloaded items are licensed under the one agreement: the Envato Elements license.

Source: Introducing Envato Elements

You can also see their News article in Envato Tuts

Well, Elements is for anyone who has a regular need for high-quality, ready-to-use design assets. Instead of paying for each item, your single monthly payment gives you unlimited downloads from the large and growing content library of more than 5,000 icons, fonts, graphic templates, and more.

Source: https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/get-early-access-to-envato-elements-and-a-lifetime-discount--cms-27010

Or their explanation to authors;

Envato Elements users get full and unlimited access to all files available on the site.

Source: https://help.contributors.elements.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/216964757-The-Envato-Elements-Unlimited-Subscription

not enought? then check Envato elements homepage

Design without limits
Inspiring and ready-to-use photos, templates, fonts and assets. Unlimited downloads for a single monthly fee.

One subscription.
Unlimited downloads.
Beautiful ready to use photos, templates, fonts and assets.

Unlimited downloads
240,000+ stock photos
27,000+ items available
Commercial license
1,000+ courses on Tuts+
AND CO membership for free
Cancel anytime

The subscription button is beutifully labeled as “GO UNLIMITED”

You can’t even discuss semantics with this one.
I do understand that you always have an urge to be Envato Champion around here. but in this case, there’s no “miss understanding” or “lack of data” you can fall back to.

Sidenote: Just so we’re clear, the pricing relates to the one and only plan you can subscribe to, just like the content.
But if that’s not enought for you, you can always check the link;https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/get-early-access-to-envato-elements-and-a-lifetime-discount--cms-27010

Where you’ll be able to see the shiny advert where it reads “Sign up now for special lifetime pricing”

1 Like

You really like to play with the words. You are doing wrong job :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, this would actually be a very cool feature. Quite a few authors advocated when chargeable support was being implemented.

Here you go:

Deja Vu ?

The same strategy was used with ADP … and the epic race to the bottom started …
So the authors that will not provide support will not be revisited by clients

Imagine I’m a client and I blackmail you - “If you offer me support” I will download all of your items this month … or anything similar that will not brake the rules …

6 Likes

Totally agreed with you. I am really afraid if envato doesn’t consider that kind of experience

Uploading is now available for WordPress themes on Elements while rules for subscribers remain unknown. Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t get rid of the impression uploading a WP theme is like offering a freebie…