WordPress on Elements - Author Information

8 Likes

@jamesgiroux Authors can not advertise Elements on their websites. So “Elements has its own affiliate program” is not the answer for us.

Please consider the following scenario;

Let’s say, we advertised on Google for our WordPress themes. When someone click these ads, he/she goes to our website. He/she liked our theme, clicked “Buy Now” button and went to the item description page on Themeforest but there is a big Elements banner on this page which says 214xyz WordPress themes, unlimited download, one price etc. He/she clicked this banner, went to Elements and we got nothing…

I think if someone come to Elements from an item description page and if it is a referral link, you should pay something to that author.

22 Likes

You have an option, do not sell inclusively here.

Please no WordPress on Envato Elements - it will only confuze customers IMO

This is so bad how envato think just to increase they profit and don’t care at all about authors, this last years every step been in that way. They move to the US and because of those taxes authors now not getting 50% of the sales anymore (at least most of them), now they moving to elements and they will get $14.5 of subs every month and other $14.5 will split between many authors (some cents). The envato is the only company out there who charge handling fees 1-2 dollars when you pay with credit card or PayPal (And new buyers only see this in billing steps) so for them this looks like hidden fee.

To be honest Envato wants to be like Adobe or Microsoft with this subscription, but it can’t be because envato has all this success because of authors, envato can’t think just about himself.

Does anyone remember has Envato ever asked the community if they agree or not before taking big steps like this, did ever organized any voting poll for authors to vote? … never!

They just announced that what gone happen.
This boat (graphicriver, themeforest) is going down and captain (envato) already gone to another boat (elements). So good luck to authors who wants to survive.

11 Likes

Well, we are at a point that it would be impossible to write anything with the current forum rules
(if you know what I mean)

WordPress on Elements will be good only for Envato, and few chosen authors (with, I presume “special” arrangements with Envato).
That’s ok. It’s Envato’s business decision. I do mind sugar-coated announcement and reassurements that it will be good for authors. Ok, perhaps I could understand even that - if the “whole truth and nothing but the truth” would be told, the authors would abandon Envato in a minutes. Which would crash the business. Which we don’t want, don’t we ?

Only thing that I don’t understand is - some authors and their belief that WP + Elements will be good for them (I have read all the arguments, and … sorry, but … no)

2 Likes

2 months to go huh? Hopefully my business does not crash and burn come August - no income would be absolutely lovely, especially as it’s my birthday August -_-

I can dame guarantee you, I will never be spending 100+ hours developing a theme to list on Elements to get paid 3 cents per download or whatever it is.

Very grateful for everything I have with Envato right now, but scared to lose it all from this “Elements move” - here’s hoping fingers crossed.

I honestly think this will shave the average author’s earnings on ThemeForest by 70-80% - there’s my prediction, I hope I am not right lol…

7 Likes

Hi @jamesgiroux,

Let me understanding this correctly.
People subscribe to envato elements under the understanding that they’ll get access to every item from an ever increasing collections of items and categories.

But now, you’re gonna backtrack on that promise and say… “hey were launching a new category, but no, this one you don’t get access to unless … You pay a year ahead at a HIGHER price than what you’re paying now”

Does this sound right to you?
If I understood this well enought, then what this shows is that your clients just can’t trust you to keep your end of the bargain.

DeValue hardwork, DeValue the most precious, DeValue time, DeMotivate authors.
Looks like a good plan.

3 Likes

There are currently no plans that I am aware of to create banners for Envato Market on Envato Elements.

I think catastrophic is a bit dramatic but I understand the sentiment and the goal is not to eliminate the need to a buy a license on ThemeForest for support. You are right that rules will need to be enforced in a way that is equitable and fair for all authors and it’s something we’re looking into for launch.

Separately it sounds like you think that an Elements subscriber will be able to rate or in some other way impact an author’s profile on Market, this is not the case. There is no record of purchase and therefore no ability to rate. At most an Elements subscriber may use the comment section the way any other visitor to the page might.

If they choose to spend the amount of money to purchase the theme so they can leave a one star rating, and only for that reason, then that would be a shame and we would do our part to try and remedy that situation. That would likely be a very expensive route for a subscriber to take to express their dissatisfaction with an author.

This is a great observation and something we’ve already done with our PhotoDune marketplace. While we don’t have plans to do quite so intense a clean up process on other marketplaces at this time, we do believe that raising the quality bar even higher is a good place to start. I also highly encourage authors with items that aren’t selling to disable those items themselves. These inactive items (either old or not selling) get in the way of your own newer items selling better too.

Update renewals are lot trickier than you think and in our tests and forecasting have led to a decrease in conversion rather than an increase. People knowing that they have access to support whenever they need it and the ability to create a sustainable support model for authors was the reasoning behind doing it that way, rather than charging for updates.

It’s always worth taking another look at something like this and perhaps that will be something we change in the future. For now however, it is unlikely that this will be in the product roadmap for at least the next two years.

Change is constant. If we had kept things the way they were when Envato first started, ThemeForest wouldn’t exist and you’d all be Flash authors on the forum. Change is important, it keeps Envato and the author community competitive in a quickly changing landscape. I think the model staying exactly the same might work for a while but in the end would lead to less customers and less earnings for everyone which is not what anyone wants.

The type of customer that we are targeting for Elements is one with an ongoing need for digital assets. These are not typically customers who are looking to buy a theme once and then never purchase anything again. Because of that how they approach their stock purchasing is different. The value of adding WordPress items to Elements is that it continues to develop for Elements what is one of the greatest features of Envato, the diversity of creative assets a customer can purchase.

A theme on its own, without support and updates will likely not be a compelling offer, but when taken with photos, graphics, fonts, etc., it becomes a much more exciting offer to subscribers.

Due to the technical side of how we’re setting WP up on Elements, items will need to be available on both Market and Elements at the same time.

Thanks for sharing this idea. I’ve sent it to our affiliates team to look into and review. Not sure if anything will happen or if it’s possible with our current system but I think that’s something worth exploring on our end.

I want to respond to this one specifically because I think it is so far from the truth. There is no way that any decision made by Envato would make everyone happy but neither does that mean we don’t care. We don’t evaluate ourselves on how well we do, we evaluate ourselves on how well the community does. It’s in our values, it’s what we celebrate internally and it’s what motivates us to do what we do. We make these decisions because we want to help authors make a living doing what they love.

We can’t guarantee that every single author will earn the same month-to-month or more, but we can do our part to ensure that we give authors as many tools as possible to earn through Envato. This includes new channels like Elements.

Yep, I know what you mean but the goal of the forums is not to create a platform to tear Envato or any one person down. It’s not about keeping it positive, it’s about keeping it constructive. If you don’t like a decision, that’s fine, say you don’t like a decision, but keep it about the thing and not the person.

I’m not sure this statement is one I should respond to but I think it’s a matter of perspective. We all bring unique perspectives and there is room for all of them to be shared and discussed. However, if an author agrees with Envato’s assessment that something is good, that doesn’t make them wrong because it’s not your perspective. We do our best to make announcements that showcase what we see in the data, what we know to be true based on industry trends and what we believe makes the most business sense to help authors continue to earn, diversify their channels and ultimately grow their earnings. It doesn’t always work out that way for every single author but it’s still something worth pursuing (in my opinion).

If you are not right, what then? If things work out the way we all hope they do (more earnings for authors), will your trust in Envato grow? Will you come back to this post and revisit it to tell others who read this that it didn’t work out the way you predicted? Just wondering… :wink:

The library is still increasing and they are not paying more for what they are getting, they are committing for a longer period of time. Rather than committing to just one month, we will ask them to commit to a year. Same offer, same growing library, longer commitment.

Diversify earning channels, develop new customer groups, deliver recurring earnings and distribute customers to more authors.

I like that plan more.

6 Likes

Hey James,

Could you give some more feedback on this please, I’m sure the team can understand that a comment in our item feeds on Envato Market saying “I downloaded this theme on Envato Elements and it doesn’t work, this theme is broken” is going to be VERY problematic. What then, do we support the user? Do we report the comment? I’m sure the Envato team can understand we cannot just leave a comment like that unanswered. There needs to be major considerations made here.

Cheers - Tom

4 Likes

In what way? Is this just a general statement, or does having inactive items something affect other things, such as search algorithms?

I have some old items, but I leave them up because I feel like if someone stumbles upon them, there’s more of a chance they check out my other content.

1 Like

If no sales for 6 month - automatic disable/remove the item and you will get much cleaner market.

5 Likes

The main reason for the future dissatisfaction of WP being on elements in our opinion is the support itself and authors are already breaking the rules and to actually not place the rule over this is a recipe for disaster. I really hope Envato does implement rules which prohibit supporting under elements.

The main point of rating and comment removals is time. Even few hours can cause damage, it’s the same thing as in courts, certain statements get out and get removed from records but the word is out and the jury can make their own minds.

Regarding bedrose’ expressing of love towards elements banner, I can definitely feel the pain. The external marketing efforts are in place for us authors and in many cases, links are directed to the item page, so that banner can be a client snatcher in the same manner Envato does not allow us to promote anything of ours from our items pages. At least consider not showing it on authors profiles and item pages themselves.

In any case, I do suggest to authors to relink all your items and external links to the landing pages of your products, no I know this does not eliminate the issue as clients still have to click buy to get back, but you can if you want, direct them directly into the cart.

Now there is, of course, one more thing, nobody can prevent you placing any additional links to the landing page since it’s on your grounds as long you don’t break the rules of promotion (for example money back guaranty, free support, etc.). But you can link directly to basically any other product you want as it is not on Envato market sites.

In similar ways as Envato can utilize our marketing efforts to gain free potential clients that, is the way we authors can utilize them to market maybe other ventures of ours.

Please, somebody, correct me if I am suggesting anything that breaks the rules.

Thanks, cheers

5 Likes

Hehe, Thats mean you have to wait 2 years to get the money form the subscriber who purchase 1 year subscription. As we now get money 2 months later for 1 month subscribing system.

That’s really insane. :stuck_out_tongue:

An annual subscription can still be broken down into monthly parts, reasonable logic would suggest that an author will not be waiting for 2 years for payment. There’s real issues to discuss regarding WP on Elements, hyperbole and fabrication does not help the real discussion shine through.

4 Likes

Yeah, you get paid just the same as a monthly subscriber.

Hello,

I have some aprox Numbers of Themeforest WordPress Sales:

January 2017 - 96,516
February 2017 - 106,805
March 2017 - 110,291
April 2017 - 95, 335
May 2017 - 106,774

Let’s see how things are after Envato Elements are adding WordPress Themes.

2 Likes

That’s slightly different. If somebody has copied the design of Envato then that’s an issue where Envato needs to protect their rights. If somebody is giving away your files, then that’s an issue where you need to protect your rights. Sure, get in touch with Envato, report the site, maybe they can assist, but they don’t own the copyright of your items at the end of the day, so you have much more recourse than they do.

2 Likes