WordPress on Elements - Author Information

You already A power elite author. So You are not in danger zone. :slight_smile:
Normal author may suffer if WordPress become in element section. envato should stop ADP / make a range field with lowest price to highest price or Can be a discount request form.
And envato should take a hard decision about low quality PSD/html/wp or guide them. We love envato, we also respect envato’s decision but envato should think about us.

5 Likes

While we’re not planning on introducing update renewals we are continuing to grow Envato Hosted. This is one way we’re addressing recurring revenue for Market authors outside of Envato Elements.

You’re right, support is one of the major factors for customers to buy more from one author. We think limiting support to Envato Market purchases creates a way for authors to generate additional revenue from a subscriber.

No, payouts will continue to be allocated monthly based on Subscriber Share.

At the moment, WordPress on Elements is invite only but we’re always interested to hear from authors that would like to be included. You can register your interest here.

Mostly for technical and process reasons. We’ve already got an established process of getting items reviewed, approved and published via Envato Market. So, as we’re doing a very limited release, we’re keeping things simple. Items will be uploaded via ThemeForest and CodeCanyon and then transferred to Elements.

You are right that we will have to do a good job communicating to subscribers that these items are offered as-is, with no support from authors.

Fresh is about keeping items current. You are right that some item types authors will interpret that differently. If a theme or plugin from 2012/13 is still relevant, well designed, regularly updated and providing a feature/service people are after, then it’s fresh. If it’s broken, not operating with best practices, out-of-date stylistically or irrelevant, it is not fresh.

Marketing and conversion efforts don’t stop for Envato Market just because Envato Elements exists. The kind of customer that wants a service like Elements will likely go to Elements or something like Elements elsewhere. A customer that wants a single-serve purchase, support or access to automatic updates will still continue to choose Market.

We are evolving authorship on Envato. It’s something we’re working on a lot. If you’ve been following the process on PhotoDune, you’ll see that we’ve introduced several new concepts to authorship there which we hope to be able to roll out across more marketplaces over time. Things we’re doing with PhotoDune authors are:

Raising the bar on quality through both technical guidelines and commercial demand guidelines (not just what is technically acceptable, but also what we believe will sell well)
Removing barriers to getting items published by reviewing authors at a portfolio level
Providing regular feedback and coaching to authors and holding them to a higher standard of activity

If a subscriber downloads a theme, either for project use or trial use, an author is still allocated subscriber share points. Regardless of whether they like the item or not or use it in the end. A subscriber will have no recourse to support for their item through their subscription. This is something our Customer Success team will also enforce.

The goal of pricing is to lock-in subscribers for longer periods of time. We want subscribers to sign up in the first place and see enough value in the subscription to stay for a very very long time. These goals are wins for both authors and Envato. That’s always been the goal of our pricing strategy.

WordPress items will only be available to subscribers on an annual subscription. That means all monthly subscribers will need to change to an annual subscription to access WordPress items.

Envato cannot force an author to not support an item. If an author chooses to support an Elements customer that is up to them but we will do our part to inform subscribers that support is not included and not to expect it from authors.

Elements has its own affiliate program that you can sign up for. Take a look at the program. Commissions for first time subscribers are really good.

Not sure I fully understand what you mean here but if you’re wondering if themes with many demos should be changed for inclusion on Elements, that’s up to the individual author.

Can you provide a bit more insight, I’m not sure I fully understand what you’re asking here.

Refunds are governed by our user terms which you can read up on here.

We hope we can finally get an answer to this question that we have asked MANY TIMES and it was IGNORED as you can see here: Envato Elements: Price Update when in March we asked again the same thing to you and again, ignored. We repeat the question:

it’s going to be already a year since Elements was launched. When are we going to start seeing the same marketing campaign that elements has across the envato marketplaces, but for elements? If elements and market are aimed to different customer bases (like you guys said) it shouldn’t be a problem. We know that you guys said that you needed time because Elements was fairly new, but now that a decent amount of time has past, why not test the waters?

At least, can’t you start by allowing element authors to link their market profiles or even post any link on their items description (now it’s forbidden to place any links in the element items description) I mean, if both really have different customers, shouldn’t be this a no-brainer to help the market grow?

Thanks

2 Likes

This is, to say the least catastrophic… basically, you are eliminating the need to buy a license on tf for support reasons. And if this is not an enforced rules some authors will support their items and others are going to be extorted for support, regardless of Envato communicating that there is no support. This is essentially creating a war zone between authors. If you have a rule that we must not offer support on TF ,if a client support expired, then this rule should be applied also to elements. This is an absolute must for a healthy market.

But what about clients that come trough affiliates to TF items and when they see a banner for elements move there, does that affiliate count meaning to they get the affiliate cut from elements?[quote=“jamesgiroux, post:45, topic:109102”]
Not sure I fully understand what you mean here but if you’re wondering if themes with many demos should be changed for inclusion on Elements, that’s up to the individual author.
[/quote]

Currently, this is a massive issue on TF which Envato eliminated with ADP and passed the price war to us. On elements you have the price control, the subscribesmy question is do bigger themes get a bigger cut since those themes bring more to the table.

subscribe to elements and downloads a theme, then because they do not have support, they buy a licence on TF and rate it 1 star because they did not receive support on element subscription. Will you be removing those kind of extortion ratings.

2 Likes

I think this is what new and non-elite authors are thinking right now :confused:

6 Likes

@jamesgiroux thanks for your answer
Glad to hear my best plugins will be considered then!

I never paid much attention to Elements before, but I actually think is a great way for Envato to make more money on our backs :smile:
Items are the same you find on marketplace but:

• on marketplace I’d take 70%
  • on Elements Envato takes 50% and gives me a small part

Let’s hope to be included and to be downloaded then.
I guess will be the only way to have decent incomes since September: sales are already at the minimum since I became Elite in Jan 2013. The alternative is to leave exclusive status and start selling on other sites.

Risky in both cases, but good old times ended.

Just two notes:

• @jamesgiroux let’s be honest: TF and CC are over-saturated by bad items. The best thing Envato should do is create a team performing a deep marketplace clean and raise quality bar. Old times are ended: only items with true potential should be allowed!

• @ThemeREX we already pay 30-to-50% to Envato to ONLY get visibility and receive 6 months madatory support for cents. I think is enough. Period.

1 Like

Applied to become an author on Elements with the form, fingers crossed. Hard.

Why are you not going to introduce update renewals? Is there a clear answer to that? You have introduced support which almost nobody needs, because 5-10% of buyers (at most) needs support after the initial purchase, and then probably 5-10% of that will renew their support one day when required. Everybody needs updates, which benefits all authors, plus gives authors incentive to update old files, instead of just pumping new files, cluttering this marketplace with often similar and repeated files.

3 Likes

He was answering with regards to paid subscriptions to get updates… which is not something they’re planning to do. But updates are still available to Themeforest and CodeCanyon buyers free of charge. Not sure if you knew that already or you were asking why they’re not planning to start charging for updates?

+1 for Not Support Elements on WordPress…

1 Like

SORRY FOR BEING OFF TOPIC. (But this is needed as after WordPress Elements launch, it is going to be even more difficult if the current Market situation is not improved)

I have seen that the Envato market currently hosts a lot of non-updated themes, plugins and scripts for sale on themeforest/codecanyon. These items are not not updated for above a period of 1 year, some are above 2 years and some of their preview links won’t even work.

I want to ask, why such items are still here crowding the marketplace? Shouldn’t they be removed so that fresh and updated items flow through the market and improve the overall quality of purchasing for the buyers? And in return, also improve sales for serious business authors working here?

My suggestions to Envato Team are to:

Scout such items and reach out to their respective authors and ask them to update these items. Envato should give such authors a time frame of 10 days to update such items to make it compatible with their latest software versions. If the author fails to do it, such items should be disabled immediately giving author another extended time-frame of 30 days to update their item. Even after this, the author fails to update, such items should be permanently removed as this shows that the author’s least interest in his/her item which is certainly bad for buyers out there and Envato Market experience as a whole.

The Envato market is becoming crowded day by day, more competitve and with this WordPress on Elements launch it is going to become even more difficult to survive here.

But, if we take certain steps in right direction, it will highly benefit to serious authors out there who stand by their products.

Let me know your suggestions if this is possible or not? Would like to hear from fellow authors as well about this.

6 Likes

I think you are putting this the best way you are right. This things seam to happen to all companies that are starting to make a lot of money. Instead of keeping the same model and improve it they mess things up…

1 Like

I followed all replies here and I would like to state that we are against this decision too.

As everyone know, selling a theme without support and accessing updates, is selling nothing to customers! However, I’m sure the subscribers who intended to get a batch of items with few monthly fees, may not pay for a separate license of theme and support.

IMO, It’s like Envato wants to sacrifices the ThemeForest authors to lock-in more subscribers to annual plans. The result? Just more and more revenue for Envato and few cents for authors. That’s the case.

2 Likes

Is there any option to disable the items temporarily from marketplace ?

you just confirmed what other elite authors told me .

sales are already at the minimum since I became Elite in Jan 2013.

no, you can’t disable

Regarding your support clause, it sounds a bit like selling a car that only has 3 wheels and when the customer asks for the fourth wheel, you have to tell him “Sorry mate, should have bought next door, where we answer questions.”

Again I would not try to make support a bargaining chip for the marketplace. Support is something that should be available no matter what. It is absolutely crucial to business and you can write books explaining why support will not be available on elements, the moment the customer signs up for something and realizes that the product has no support, he will be disapointed and that very often comes down to us authors.

Ever heard of Zappos.com? Everybody sells shoes online, the difference? Just ask their support! :wink:

4 Likes

But well… as James sad authors can offer support if they want :stuck_out_tongue:

Good news, but I feel I am not qualified, have to continue to work hard. :blush:

1 Like

Then why HTML sales are almost dead?

9 Likes