WordPress on Elements - Author Information

That’s a very fair point that I’ve overlooked. Thanks for that mate, fingers crossed that it all runs smoothly! You’re right, the small amount of authors will make my concerns easier to monitor.

6 Likes

Hi Jamesgiroux

I’m new User In envato can You Please send me The Invitation.

Please stop posting links to portfolio guys! Staff will reach out for things like this or a separate thread will be created. This thread is just discussions about WordPress on Elements, not invitations for authors. Cheers!

2 Likes

So for someone paying 19/month, that person would pay 228 for the year in advance. Correct? Just want to make sure that the new billing agreement isn’t attached with other changes.

Regardless of the above, you are changing the agreement you made with your clients. Your clients subscribed with one understanding, and now you’re saying “hey… well… some categories are only to those that pay a full year in advance”.

Anyway you slice it, you’re failing on your promise.

Maybe I’m old school, to me, my word is my bond. I never, ever, step back on any agreement I made, even if it costs me money. Which is not even your case.

So I wonder why exactly do you need to do this? what’s the intent? is it a way to address the authors concerns? if yes, which. Or is it just an attempt to lock more people into a one year subscription?

My issue here is with how you treat the agreements you make with your clients, because honestly, I couldn’t care less about WordPress. But I might care about some other “special” category in the future…

The promise, as you’ve stated, is that people will “get access to every item from an ever increasing collections of items and categories”. That isn’t changing. The ‘promise’ doesn’t mention anything about prices, durations or terms.

To start with, let me be clear that I have low tolerance for semantics.

Let me quote Envato explanation of what Envato elements is.

So how does it work?

Elements showcases and curates a beautiful and constantly evolving library of content. Users pay a monthly subscription fee which gives them complete and unlimited access to the full extent of the library’s items. All downloaded items are licensed under the one agreement: the Envato Elements license.

Source: Introducing Envato Elements

You can also see their News article in Envato Tuts

Well, Elements is for anyone who has a regular need for high-quality, ready-to-use design assets. Instead of paying for each item, your single monthly payment gives you unlimited downloads from the large and growing content library of more than 5,000 icons, fonts, graphic templates, and more.

Source: https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/get-early-access-to-envato-elements-and-a-lifetime-discount--cms-27010

Or their explanation to authors;

Envato Elements users get full and unlimited access to all files available on the site.

Source: https://help.contributors.elements.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/216964757-The-Envato-Elements-Unlimited-Subscription

not enought? then check Envato elements homepage

Design without limits
Inspiring and ready-to-use photos, templates, fonts and assets. Unlimited downloads for a single monthly fee.

One subscription.
Unlimited downloads.
Beautiful ready to use photos, templates, fonts and assets.

Unlimited downloads
240,000+ stock photos
27,000+ items available
Commercial license
1,000+ courses on Tuts+
AND CO membership for free
Cancel anytime

The subscription button is beutifully labeled as “GO UNLIMITED”

You can’t even discuss semantics with this one.
I do understand that you always have an urge to be Envato Champion around here. but in this case, there’s no “miss understanding” or “lack of data” you can fall back to.

Sidenote: Just so we’re clear, the pricing relates to the one and only plan you can subscribe to, just like the content.
But if that’s not enought for you, you can always check the link;https://design.tutsplus.com/articles/get-early-access-to-envato-elements-and-a-lifetime-discount--cms-27010

Where you’ll be able to see the shiny advert where it reads “Sign up now for special lifetime pricing”

1 Like

You really like to play with the words. You are doing wrong job :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, this would actually be a very cool feature. Quite a few authors advocated when chargeable support was being implemented.

Here you go:

Deja Vu ?

The same strategy was used with ADP … and the epic race to the bottom started …
So the authors that will not provide support will not be revisited by clients

Imagine I’m a client and I blackmail you - “If you offer me support” I will download all of your items this month … or anything similar that will not brake the rules …

6 Likes

Totally agreed with you. I am really afraid if envato doesn’t consider that kind of experience

Uploading is now available for WordPress themes on Elements while rules for subscribers remain unknown. Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t get rid of the impression uploading a WP theme is like offering a freebie…

“You” are already offering a freebie no matter the category you are uploading. It’s just non-sense. It’s just saying “hey look those items are so easy to develop/design” (which absolutely is NOT the case) - It’s basically pure disrespect for the hardwork of the authors.

3 Likes

There is something about it… The number of added items doesn’t translate into “what you earned from subscriptions”. Earning report might as well display once a month any random value along with a contributor bonus and tax deduction - even the number of downloads is a mystery.

WordPress addition to Elements will have its absolute impact (it will be a disaster), and not only on WordPress category but it will surely have its effect on the sales of other categories as well, on the marketplaces.

3 Likes

Not sure if that comparison works for digital goods that can sell multiple times. GTA V cost $265m to make, yet they sell it for $50… I don’t think anybody thought it was easy to develop.

The big factor for me is how much money I get in the bank account at the end of the month. A high sale price is great, and so is a high percentage commission, but the landlord and the off-license don’t accept prices or percentages, they just accept cold, hard, filthy cash.

If it turns out that these WP authors do end up making considerably less when they sell on Elements then that’s fair enough, but it’s a bit early to say for certain whether it’s a bad move or not. The idea here is that you’ll get the volume, over the sales price. Time will tell how profitable that is for contributing Theme developers.

4 Likes

Just read about ‘Subscriber Share’ model, and oh boy, that’s good only for subscribers, envato, and avada’s author ))
Soon we’ll see what happens. But I’m definetely glad I’m not Envato-dependent as many authors are.

2 Likes

Hey, Just I’m curious to see your avatar if possible :stuck_out_tongue: You’re super fast in replying to all authors and very helpful . Which timezone you’re from ?

1 Like

I believe he lives outside of time and space :smiley:

2 Likes

Currently hovering around South East Asia, but I sleep crazy hours, so am awake at various times throughout the day and the night.

6 Likes

Wordpress is very useful to build creative website