Why Sale Reversals do not show usernames of the buyers?

Why we see only standard billing information of the buyers for the Sale Reversals which are most of the time fake or useless?

When in reality displaying envato username of the buyers upon sale reversal would be a bit more helpful, as it allows us to block them in case if there is a license verification system is implemented.

1 Like

Envato never share personal data with anyone. So, envato will not share Buyer username with the author.

What happens when a Sales Reversal occurs

When a reversal occurs, Envato will:

• Immediately disable the Envato account from which the purchase was made;
  • Remove the item from the customerā€™s Downloads page;
  • Invalidate the purchase code for the item.

So, according to envato actions the purchase code (license) already Invalidate if any sale reversal done.

Thanks

That is why all their info is listed during sale reversal? Regardless whether it is fake or not?

Iā€™m aware that buyerā€™s account get suspended and all the other standard stuff that happens upon sale reversal, that is the point, if it is suspended/disabled anyways, why hide the username? (Iā€™m not asking for the license code, wouldnā€™t care about it much anyways) Username is certainly not a personal data (when on invoice I have their first/last name and some other location info). The problem is, some reversals happen after weeks of purchase, by that time the product could be already activated.

1 Like

To know username author donā€™t have anything to do. Because already customerā€™s Envato account got disable and the customer will not be able to download the future update and also will not be able to contact author for getting any support.

But if you are very much interested in this you can contact author support if they can give you more info on it.

I see that you donā€™t know about the power of usernames upon product activations, and their values. Just by knowing usernames we can see which domains were activated for our products, whenā€¦ etc on our license server, and hence can take actions on sale reversals as product was already activated before reversal. And it is not important if customer will not be able to download future updates or get support from us(latter cannot happen anyways). Important part would be that we could potentially play the same game as few buyers who like reversals, if we wanted to.

In any case, are there any envato staff members to comment in this forum, without opening a ticket?

1 Like

Itā€™s not visible at the ā€œStatementā€ section??

https:// themeforest . net/user/ USERID /statement

You are referring to your personal userid, and Iā€™m looking for userids of the sale reversals, basically usernames of our clients who did sale reversals.

I had a similar incident today. I sold the Broadcast and Film license on April 1, 2022. Exactly $2200. I thought it had to be a joke. This morning the buyer canceled the sale and the money was refunded. Yes, I was exposed to a bad joke. I donā€™t know my item is coming. Envato official said that he approved the return because there is no download. Return process should be reviewed.

I see that you donā€™t know about the power of usernames upon product activations, and their values. Just by knowing usernames we can see which domains were activated for our products

You donā€™t need the user name but the purchase code which by the way is already inactive, problem solved. Your idea to block access to any and all purchase codes by the buyer involved in a sale reversal is unnecessary.

From marketplace FAQs:

• What happens when a sales reversal occurs?

When a reversal occurs, Envato will:

• Immediately disable the Envato account from which the purchase was made;
  • Remove the item from the customerā€™s Downloads page;
  • Invalidate the purchase code for the item.

Envato takes privacy and security seriously while adhering to industry standards and practices.

Sales Reversals are a part of running any sort of business online, but Envato is active and diligent in both monitoring and combating reversals to ensure they are minimised.

1 Like

If it had to be approved then thatā€™s a refund and not a reversal. But, are you suggesting that the option for a buyer to get a refund for a mistaken purchase if they have not downloaded the item should be removed?

You basically copied mgscoderā€™s reply. Which doesnā€™t answer my question at all, with sale reversal info you donā€™t see purchase code as well, so nothing is solved for the scripts that were activated before reversals.

Indeed @mgscoder is right. Listen to him :stuck_out_tongue:

You donā€™t have to see anything. Your script needs to handle valid purchase codes only. A simple example, if purchase code is required to receive automatic updates, then check validity of the purchase code first. Now, I do not know what you are trying to achieve but adapt it similarly.

We have this mechanism implemented, and that is the point, buyer will still keep using the script and miss only the updates(which are not released every day anyways). We basically donā€™t want to bother legit buyers with CRON license verifications tasks etc behind the scene, which could be one option to deal with sale reversals. Sale Reversals are rare, but they do happen, and the ones that are somewhat annoying is the ones that happen weeks or months after purchase and it is hard to identify by that time who is who on our license server, so you donā€™t know whose license to block for immediate stop of script usage as we have this mechanism implemented within the script.

And how would you block if you knew the username? Wouldnā€™t you need to perform a lookup anyway? So during that instance, look for valid license. Unless I have misunderstood you, the cost is the same.

:thinking:

1 Like

Amazing :sweat_smile: :rofl: :rofl:

It was always in front of my eyes. Never paid attention to that info icon, thought it contains some generic info on what is a sale reversal. I found already some live activations who had sale reversals via these purchase codes.

Case closed, thanks @baileyherbert

1 Like

I think that there is no need for returns in some categories. Why? There is a preview file of the music file. There are technical explanations. The duration is specified. You can test whether it meets your needs with the preview file. The same applies to stock photos and videos. There should be a very serious option for returns. Example: If the file is missing or incorrect. Maybe Iā€™m wrong.

This is when it becomes a question of terminology - ā€˜refundsā€™ you could potentially limit (as is part of the buyer T&Cs) as envato can control this.

ā€˜Reversalā€™ is out of envatoā€™s control and if the buyer activates this, then there is next to nothing that can be done