Like you, I’ve poured over so many freaking membership and profile plugins over the past 6 months. We are talking nights, weekends, weeks of hours trying to find one that is ideal.
I still havent found it yet. Wait for a sec and read on. The number one thing that ALL of them is missing is the most important thing I would consider of all. An attractive and configurable user front end.
Think about it. On your “apps” on your phone, when you look people up on social media, everything comes down to the easy to read, well configurable and clean front end profile. All of the Membership and User profiles have tonnes of features on the backend and they are amazing, but miss this vital part. the front ends are usually awful, clunky and you cant move bits around so that you can optimise a front end.
- An avatar and avatar background that is simple to manage, scales and attractive that allows you as the admin to set defaults in the event that the user doesnt have one.
- Social logins that will take your facebook and twitter settings including avatars over.
- All the recent “objects” from that user. I say objects as that could be custom posts, posts, classified adds, anything. Not just “recent posts of everyone”.
- information, attractive and well displayed for the user that links though and is active
- Simple front end submissions for basic functions. Widget driven, not hard coded into a “profile.php” page that needs coding. Widget it up. “Add a post, add a friend, show my blah” , look at all the major profiles on apps/pages, see what is needed
- Make tabs optional, not mandatory. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TABS
- Simple Simple Simple, enough to render on a mbile screen and configrable to show everything a user or their followers need
I’ve spent thousands checking every last plugin there is, they are all SO GOOD, except this one weakness. AND that’s the most important thing for a profiles/membership plgin, to display the member well!!
Anyone out there got the skill to do it?