Why Buy 175 Licenses For The Same Track??

music
tips-and-tricks

About a year ago, I opened up my profile to see that, in the hour or so since I had last (obsessively :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) checked - I had sold 24 licenses of a single track to a single customer.

Imagine my excitement!

At first, I was sure it was a mistake of some sort.

Then, using the vague and incomplete information provided on the invoice, I tried (unsuccessfully) to determine the identity of the buyer.

Finally, I tried to imagine and/or understand why a single buyer would want or need 24 standard licenses for the same item. Never did come up with a scenario that made any sense.

But my little experience is peanuts compared to one of my friends here on Audiojungle. Get this: For the past few months, he’s had a regular buyer who pops in every few weeks or so to stock up on 20-30-40 standard licenses - - - for the same track. So far, he’s purchased somewhere between 175 - 200 (!) standard licenses - - - for the same track. (To date, the author has not seen any publicized use of the track by the buyer.)

Two questions for the community at large:

1. What’s your personal record? But more importantly:

2. What possible explanation could there possibly be for these kinds of mass purchases - - - especially the truly amazing second case?

One customer purchased near ~ 25 licenses for one track within 6 months. :slight_smile:

I’d still really like to know why anybody would need 175-200 standard licenses of the same track within a 2-3 month period — without publicizing a single usage.

Anyone?

I had a buyer who bought, 3 or 4 times the same item in 2 months, then bought 10 millions license for the same item and dissapear forever… :sob:

I thought that a sale gives the buyer rights to use only once.
Therefore perhaps the Client is using that track on multiple projects as his default soundtrack.

Wow, i have never gotten this case.

Man, that sounds great!

However, i would never be able to sleep since these sales could turn into the dreaded sale reversals!

175 within 3 months and nothing publicized anywhere?

175 is a lot of multiple projects in any case - especially within a 3 month period.

So - I’d still like to hear some “out of the box” explanations for such a case…

Maybe love the track and he/she thinks that to listen the song, need to pay everytime. :joy:

that author has a family member supporting their “music career”…
that author has a sugar mama or sugar daddy that supports their “artistic endeavours”…
that author has… name it. :wink:

The author himself doesn’t know what to make of the situation…

The buyer has a website with half a dozen generic corporate videos on it…but one would think, if he’s SO enthusiastic about this particular track…perhaps he would post at least ONE of the videos featuring the music of which he’s so financially supportive.

All I know is, I sure wouldn’t mind some secret or not-so-secret benefactor to buy my tracks in bulk! (Whatever the reason…)

As long as his credit is good, bring on the OCD !
:wink:

This just in:
Sugar daddy just picked up another 25 licenses.

I remain amazed.

Why doesn’t the author simply ask the buyer? With that many sales, I’m sure it wouldn’t be perceived as harassment.

mb its kinda tv or internet news?
One friend of mine asked me to compose a custom news intro for his internet-news channel. He explained that it is expensive and nonsence for him to buy the same piece of music on AJ every time in every new episode.

I’ve already suggested that to him; he doesn’t seem particularly eager to disturb the goose “laying the golden eggs.” :slight_smile:

Nope. First of all, series and recurring uses are covered by standard licenses and/or other extended licenses. Secondly, the buyer’s website features 6 or so videos all dealing with…patio furniture… :confused:

Only one thing might make some sense. He may be selling something like a stock After Effects template on another site that uses that track and instead of referring the customer to the AJ author or telling them the track is not included, he buys the track for each customer and has that cost built into his fee for his end product - the template. If I understand the license correctly, AJ music cannot be redistributed with a template product, hence, the need for a new license with every sale of a template that uses it. In a template, it would be considered a source file and AJ forbids re-distribution in that case.

Here’s what the license says:

• You can’t re-distribute the Item as a musical item, as stock, in a tool or template, or with source files. You can’t do this with an Item either on its own or bundled with other items (such as an audio compilation), and even if you modify the Item. You can’t re-distribute the Item as-is or with superficial modifications. These things are not allowed even if the re-distribution is for free.

If this is the case, you won’t be seeing any publicized products from this guy because those template he’s selling are for different products produced by his clients.Also, he could be marking up that template by more than $19 and profiting from the music himself. Of course, that would have to be a pretty expensive template as After Effects templates without music are usually that expensive. BUT, there’s nothing saying this is an After Effects template. It could be some other sort of template end product where the music would be considered a source file.

I admit i’m freshly spanking new here…

Would a possible explanation be that the person is selling DVD’s or CD’s in which the track is being purchased for
each of his sales?

example …maybe he put on a training conference for Doctors in Chicago and made a DVD set of the conference and
all the docs are buying the DVD set, so he has to buy one license for each DVD set… I’m speculating I admit

~Ike

Very creative idea!

But not very likely, I’m afraid — unless the video producer has a complex and lucrative side business making After Effects templates - bundled with music?

Not really feeling it…but kudos on the concept!

Wait, how do you see who buys your stuff? Envato doesn’t it tell me anything unless that buyer reviewed the item.