Why Audio Jungle needs to accept registered tracks!

I’m not arguing with you. Like I said previously, I support the rights of artists. That’s why I pay for what I use.

If it’s kept simple then I’m more likely to buy, rather than worry I might accidentally make a mistake, and stay away. Why is that hard to reconcile?

It’s not hard to reconcile. As a buyer you can buy from whomever you want. And I appreciate that you do pay for what you use. Some people think music isn’t worth anything and think they should be able to use it for free. Which, begs the question, why do you want to use it to enhance your project if you think it’s not worth anything? Anyway, I’m okay with whatever you do. I am not arguing with you. I’m just giving you my perspective. And we appreciate yours.

Thank you Erick. I appreciate you taking time to help me.

You’re welcome! I hope your future projects go great. Have a happy new year!

yes, like i said up above, unless you are using the music for broadcast, you don’t even have to think about it. also, fyi, p***5 (the other site you mention) allows PRO and has done so for much longer, so honestly, there is probably a much greater % of music on there registered with PROs. A lot of other sites also allow it - AJ was quite late to the party in that respect.

1 Like

Where can I find a list of venues that are PRO licensed?

If I’m looking for a venue, I’d rather just call places that I know are PRO licensed, rather than phone all possible locations and hope whomever answers will know without having to get back to me. That’s enormously time consuming in the Internet era.

I’d rather do an Internet search.

I can’t help you with the list (perhaps ASCAP or BMI could), but in regards to the Internet era, how about bulk emailing these venues instead?

1 Like

That’s hilarious :slight_smile:

It would be great to have a lookup list somewhere.

If a venue is P.R.O. Licensed you’d think that would be something they’d want people to know. It seems like a value add that makes things simpler for their customers.

Hi again Sarah, if you don’t mind me asking, why is it important whether a venue is PRO licensed? I’m trying to work out how this relates to your usage of AudioJungle music.

Thanks for asking. I realize my assumptions may be incorrect and I’m willing to be wrong. I’ll share what’s going through my mind and hope you can help me understand what might be flawed in my thinking.

If I’m delivering a PowerPoint presentation at a venue e.g. at a conference center, business location, or hotel breakout room and made a video with AJ music to run during part of it I’m worried I’m being asked to spend even more time investigating a venue’s licensing.

It’s seems far less troubling to just not spend the ~$19 to buy any AJ PRO artist’s music than risk being unintentionally entangled in potentially long discussions with multiple people about licenses. I have no control over what licenses venues have and little to no control over where I might be asked to present. Right now it’s preventing me from buying any music at all, mostly because I don’t want to make a mistake and I don’t want to be cavalier about it. My presentations will be less interesting, and a video without sound would be flat but I can’t see an alternative.

I don’t think people in the music industry understand how intimidating the licensing can be to individuals outside of it, even if those individuals are above board and want artists to make all the money they’re entitled to. Musicians seem to get caught up explaining how they also need to make a living without recognizing the person (me in this case) believes that too.

Production companies and broadcasters might have all the resources to do all this, but individuals do not. It’s not wise to assume every AJ customer fits into those categories.

Wouldn’t it be better if P.R.O.s just published which venues licensed with them. It would take seconds for me to check if a hotel or a venue was licensed and possibly even the contact to provide cue sheets to. It would give me so much more confidence in buying music from AJ or elsewhere for that kind of use. I think it’s strange no such directory/registry exists. They do exist for many other services. I’d happily use it everytime, even if there was a small fee. Seems like a business opportunity for someone to make one too.

Sarah, there are plenty of non P.R.O. music on AJ. If you see this on the item page… image

…You can be sure that its NOT P.R.O. music.
Happy new year! :slight_smile:

hi sarah, thanks for explaining. your line of questioning makes a lot more sense now. i appreciate that you don’t want to be cavalier (as most people probably would be) but also don’t want the hassle of having to check whether or not the eventual venue has paid a blanket license fee (there is no database that i’m aware of or easy way to find out, unfortunately). i would agree in this case when you conduct your search for music in AJ, you should simply filter out the PRO registered music (unchecking the box for “include PRO music” on the bottom left) if you want to have an absolutely clear conscience. that being said, on the more cavalier side of things, you do realize that the only way you would run into a problem is if someone went out of their way to report you – highly unlikely that someone would not only recognize some random aj composition but also feel the need to go to the PRO with which it was registered to file a complaint. this kind of thing happens more with recognizable popular music being used in public venues without having been properly licensed. anyway, thank you for obviously being supportive of music authors and having our best interests in mind. hopefully some of our answers have helped you figure out the smoothest way to enhance your presentation (don’t do it without music! haha).

Thank you. Hopefully this thread will help others too.

1 Like

I honestly don’t think it matters at all if the venue you’re playing your presentation in is a venue which pays license fees to PROs. I think so long as you’ve paid for your $19 license you can exhibit the presentation in any venue, regardless of whether you bought from an author who is PRO registered or not. Also, PRO registration on AudioJungle is merely an indicator of whether the author is PRO registered. It does not mean their music is PRO registered. I am a PRO-registered author, but only a tiny fraction of my music on AudioJungle is registered with my PRO. However because I have a PRO registration it will display this on every track.

That’s interesting. I didn’t know there was a distinction, but it makes sense. AJ should highlight which tracks are registered separately too.

I agree Sarah! It seems like it would be such an easy thing to implement, a simple field where you select yes/no to specify that your track is registered or not. If you were to buy music from either of my accounts, there’s a 90% chance it will be not registered, however both accounts are listed as PRO accounts. I guess another easy option is to just email an author and ask whether the track you like is registered or not. Most authors respond instantly.

Sarah if you buy a license from any audio jungle author…PRO affiliated, or not PRO affiliated, you absolutely can attach the music to a power point presentation and play the track at a Business conference center, or in a hotel conference room. You have nothing to worry about because you will have bought a license to do exactly that. You, nor the hotel or conference center will not be asked to pay additional royalties or fees to any PRO to play music. PRO registered music only is an issue when it is going to be broadcast in front of a large audience. Authors and Publishers make money from our Performing Rights Organizations when our music is “performed” or “broadcast” (AKA “performance royalties”) on TV commercials, TV Shows, Films, etc. The nicest thing you could do for an PRO author would be to e-mail a “cue sheet” listing the cues you played at a conference center. The author may collect .0000000001 cents for that “performance”. :smile: So Yes, I am making a bit of a joke here. You have nothing to be concerned about as this type of usage is most likely only reaching 100 to 1000 people. It is not being publicly broadcast on TV or radio. And No, do not waste your time talking to or dealing with any PRO for the type of usage you are presenting. The main businesses outside of TV and radio networks that need to concern themselves with PRO’s and buying licenses to play music are restaurants, bars, amusement parks…where music is being played non stop for public entertainment. You have no worries!

1 Like

That’s brilliant. Thank you for this answer. Makes a big difference. I’m going to get that music now.

Good point about checking with the author. That’s easy enough if I’m going to use for broadcast.