Why Are You Making Music? ⛵

Hi! :blush:
I found myself incredibly curious why are we creating music. So I decided to create this philosophical thread because I couldn’t find anything similar on the forum.

And I feel that this question is extremely interesting and important, yet underrated. We all have a track called “Inspiring”, but there are almost no inspiring topics on the forum :blush:

So share your story with the world! The story of your continuous musical journey. You may use these questions if you wish to make your message more structured:

• Why and when you started to produce music? What is it about it that made you feel it is a worthy thing to do?

• What keeps you motivated to create music? What thoughts or goals fuel your daily inner musical drive? Thinking about your goal, repeating your own “power-thoughts”, curiosity, desire to win or something else?

• Why making music is meaningful to you? What meanings do you find in it? Making the world better with your music, helping people, to feel good, to feel proud or anything else?

• What do you do when you feel no inspiration to produce music? What thoughts or actions help you to motivate/inspire yourself? Maybe some meditation, or recalling good memories, or walking outdoors, or listening to some music, or something your own, completely different?

• What would be your advice to someone who is just going to start creating music, or recently started? What mindset would you recommend to cultivate to progress, feel good and cope with obstacles? Your advice can be related to Audiojungle/stock music world or not.

I strongly believe that your post is invaluable. Because there are many authors who feel down or unmotivated right now, and reading your post would help them a lot, maybe even (in rare cases) would save someone’s life. Besides, even you yourself may benefit from reading your own post in the future when a tough moment comes. So your post is your story and a letter of help to those who truly need it.

I really want this topic to be a feel-good place of inspiration for authors, music producers, as we sometimes need a place like that. I’m incredibly grateful for you sharing your message with all of us! :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

Hello!
For starters, it would be nice to listen to your story :blush:
Very interesting!

4 Likes

You are right, I can start it! :blush: I will try to answer my own questions from the post.

I started making music on a computer at about 15 years old. Started to play guitar at about 12. Didn’t really want to. My father basically convinced me to learn basic chords. And he taught me to play them. Now he says that I was demonstrating a total lack of musical ear being a child :smile: When it comes to why making music felt like a worthy thing to do to me. I was listening to music most of my time, and the idea of making complete tracks on my own was fascinating to me. I felt like it’s a really big deal. I don’t remember myself putting extra meaning to the process of making music. Probably I wanted to impress my parents or friends to some degree, but no more than that. Like many, I was totally immersed in it and felt joy experimenting with knobs and sounds. So it basically was an end in itself. I have committed to the idea of making music all my life, no matter how, at about 14 y/o. I left university to produce music full-time, even though I couldn’t do it well at that time. I just didn’t want to give myself a plan B.

What keeps me motivated to create music is love to music. It’s fun to tweak things. Also, a desire to improve plays a huge role. It’s important for me to see flaws in my previous tracks. But it is not always easy to spot them, and it may hurt sometimes, but this is how we learn, no way around. And I love watching different videos on Youtube made by music producers. There is so much to learn about it. I’m really thankful to them for making these videos basically for free.

Regarding meaning. I believe that good music really makes the world better. People feel better listening to the tracks they love, they feel more energized and productive. It worth it. Also, I definitely have more sense of meaning when constantly making music and enjoying it. It just feels right to know that I created something today, even if it was hard. A great thing about music is that it’s limitless, you can’t totally master it and you’re done. There is always something to explore, so it means that you got things to do :blush:

I struggled with inspiration because of some kind of fear of failure. It started after I made my corporate bestseller track ironically called “Inspiring”. Mentally I was too hard on myself, constantly required completely unrealistic things from myself, like to create top-quality top-selling sound each and every time. There is a big danger in it. You may succeed financially but cultivate fear and lose your desire to do what you always loved. Currently, I’m recovering from that by doing certain things. Reading books related to productiveness/happiness, mostly based on research. Great ones are “Flow”, “The Happiness Advantage”, “The How Of Happiness”, also older “Awaken the Giant Within”. They all help me in some way to overcome the struggle. I’m also cultivating a new mindset to break the fear. It includes thinking like “Just do any music and make as many mistakes as possible, cause it is the only way to learn and enjoy making music”. Watching Youtube videos of producers happily making their tunes and sharing their stories also motivates me to start acting and feel better. I started meditating 7 months ago and it def helps me to “reboot” my brain and get some fresh and motivating thoughts.

My advice to newcomers and to every producer would be to make music a lot (to feel great), to make mistakes (to progress faster), and to use your favorite reference tracks (to progress even faster). Don’t be hard on yourself. If you can’t do it at the moment, it means that you have to improve, and it’s okay if it doesn’t sound right yet. It certainly will with time and practice. The main things are to find meaning, to feel good and to have fun making music. Otherwise, it doesn’t make any sense. Financial or other external reasons worth nothing on their own. You definitely gotta enjoy what you do, even though this ability may be compromised sometimes. So use external goals carefully. You definitely can achieve them but make sure than you don’t sacrifice more important things.

So I tried to share the most important things in this message, tried to be open (which is sometimes hard for me), hope it may help someone. I’m really looking forward to your messages now! :love_letter:

7 Likes

If you find this topic interesting and would like to understand the drive behind creation and everything else including inspiration, pitfalls and everything in-between, there’s a fantastic book on this topic called “The War Of Art” by Steven Pressfield.

2 Likes

I read this book in one gulp.
Thank You.

1 Like

I began making multitrack music age 10 with a Casio VL-Tone and two cassette recorders. I don’t ask why I make music, I ask why others do not. Music creates peace, perspective, harmony, flow state, makes me a better, happier person. I don’t need to be motivated to create music, I’ll do it anyway, always. When I feel no inspiration I improvise at the piano, or I find a new sound. Music usually follows. But it’s rare that I don’t feel inspiration for music: if you feel things then you have your inspiration. Advice for someone starting music? Don’t make music to put on a marketplace. Don’t make music and try to second-guess what people want to buy. The world does not need one more ukulele explainer music with claps and glockenspiel. Make music to break people’s hearts and make them feel things. Then put that on a marketplace, if you want. It will sell.

2 Likes

I guess, I just really love music and find it inspirational. It’s like what I feel when I play a game from somewhere else: Steam, APKNite, Blizzard,… Sometimes a song, an artist, an album fits in with a certain time of my life that resonates those memories and can give whatever kind of emotion. Maybe I want to convey that same kind of feeling (although honestly, I haven’t been much successful yet I think, hopefully, one day hehe). But on the other hand recently I just kind of make music for fun, on my own. It’s a time-consuming hobby and I haven’t gotten anywhere with it really, so sometimes makes me wonder a lot why I have invested so much time and money on it in the past. Another thing is I get inspired too easily, I have a lot of genre’s that I enjoy, and you know can’t do everything at once. I’ve given up on many sounds and projects in the past. So I never really improve in one place… I feel you, it’s hard to feel proud of what you make when you have an intention of putting it out there. Lately, I just make songs on my pc and just have fun with the sounds for myself. I guess lately I just do it for my enjoyment.

2 Likes

@PhotonicMusic
Thank you for sharing! Will look into that :blush:

@delevine
Thank you so much for sharing your story!
You totally enjoy making music as I can see, that’s cool!
Your advice to beginners surely promotes not the easiest way. But I’m sure it is the only way for some artists. And it’s worth it! If you are able to make people feel things, then your music has incredible potential.

@Shig_bonSchlep
Thank you for joining and sharing!
Many successful artists say they did music just for fun, how they liked it, without any intention to make money out of it. And then suddenly big money came. Although, it is likely that most of them had their taste based mostly on popular/loved-by-people music, not on grindcore/noise music. Which is totally cool, I got nothing against it!
You are saying that you have some doubt whether you should be doing it. You gotta decide! Maybe you don’t need to make money off it, maybe keep it a hobby! Since you have fun making music, you can calmly and steadily progress in it without worrying about money. This is awesome to have fun!