Which Studio Headphones should I buy?

Hello everyone.

I’ve submitted few tracks on AJ but couldn’t get succeeded yet. I think my major flaw is in the mixing and mastering. I have a setup with a decent studio monitors (presonus Eris 5) but poorly treated room. So I decided to invest in a pair of studio headphones to go back and forth to check the mix along with the Eris 5’s.

My budget is around $200. My purpose is ONLY mixing and mastering but not general listening. What pair can you recommend for me within the given parameters.

Following are in my watch list.

Yamaha HPH mt 8 (Top of the list)
Yamaha HPH mt 7
Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro
Auduo Technica m50x
Bayerdynamic dt 770

If you can help me in this regard it is a massive help for me.
Thank you.
Stay safe everyone.

3 Likes

Hey WishOn,

I think it depends on the type of music you produce. For classical, I’m quite happy with my pair of dt 990 pro’s. Very clean and detailed sounding.

And I know that the m50x are very popular with people producing in a broader range of styles, including bass heavy music.

3 Likes

If you’re only going to mix and not use them for audio recording I would recommend open-back headphones, as they’re more comfortable to wear and less fatiguing for the ears to use over a extended period of time.
Of the ones you listed, the dt990 is the only open-back headphones.
I personally use dt770 to record and some mixing and think they’re great.

3 Likes

I would recommend the AKG MK II. I use them for mixing and I’m very satisfied.

2 Likes

AKG K702 - they are great.

3 Likes

Did you mean AKG k240 MKii or different model?

I’m sorry, there was a type error. I mean the AKG K271 MK II

1 Like

AKG K701 or K702. They are sonically identical.These are the best for your budget.If you are willing to spend 5 times more go for Focal Clear Professional .

2 Likes

Fostex T50RP
Very clear and detailed.
But…no headphones are completely flat, get to know them well or use software correction like Sonarworks.

1 Like

As was said earlier open-back headphones are the best choice for mixing. But AT m50x is a very popular option. I have them as some of top authors and reviewers (as i remember correctly) use them. My last 30 items were mixed with their help.
But in general most of headphones fot this price are equally great and equally bad) It’s all about knowing how your gear sound.
My choice would be dt990 or m50x as they are very popular and well known for their sound.

1 Like

In this price category, the undisputed leader (in terms of frequency response characteristics and quality) is Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm. I worked in them for over 15 years and still i have both 990 and 770. But 5 years ago I found headphones with a smoother frequency response and since then I have been working only in them. This is the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 ohm. In 990/770, busting with low and high frequencies from which, with a subjective comparison when listening, they will sound better. But if you need to mix and do mastering, then you need headphones with the most flat frequency response. Whichever you choose, the headphones take a while to start sounding right. And you will need to listen to a lot of music in them to get used to the sound of the reference tracks. But … you can mix music well in any of the proposed ones.
It all depends on your skills and ability to hear. The choice of headphones is often well-grounded in controversy, but the best headphones are the ones you are used to and understand! To make friends with headphones, you need to spend a lot of time in them, listening to music, movies, commercials and everything. I wish you to find a new friend and helper! Here is some frequency response comparison and a link where you can do it yourself.

If you decide to buy a Beyerdynamic, I recommend taking replacement embouchures right away and changing them once every 3 months so that they wear out evenly. Otherwise, when replaced after complete wear, the sound will change slightly and you will have to get used to it again. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi my friend. Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro is very successful but the brand I use is PIONEER HDJ-X10. You won’t have any problems, it’s a very successful headset.
Good luck.

2 Likes

Thank you so so much dear fiends. It was really helpful for me to make a decision. Good luck everyone. Stay safe. @gballx @Hyperprod @Daydreamz-Studios @SoniqBranding @Romantic_City @CWMusic

2 Likes

AKG K240DF if you can find them and a decent amp

1 Like

If you use a plugin like sonarworks reference you can get a pretty flat frequency response in most half-decent cans. In which case, my number one priority would be comfort. In that department, I swear by my DT770’s. I use them sometimes 14 hours a day on set as a sound recordist. I like the material of the ear pads, since I find that leather or plastic ones make my head sweat. I suppose it just means that mine are soaking up my head sweat which is pretty gross, but they are removable, washable and ultimately replaceable. The DT990’s are a good shout too if you don’t need isolation.

5 Likes

Hello :vulcan_salute:
I use Bayers and so much satisfied. In them you can always hear all the clips and mistakes. Therefore, I always do the final mixing in them, even despite the fact that I have Yamaha monitors :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Beyer 990s are great, the 250ohm version if you are driving them from a sound card or headphone amp, super comfortable for long periods of wearing too. I have 770s and 990s and would use the 770s for recording and when out and about, 990s for mixing / critical listening.

3 Likes

I’m a developer and not a music expert but I love the vModa Crossfade M100. I like my headphones wired.

1 Like

Regarding AKGs the lowest model I’d consider is K712. 702 are really weird for me.

For $200 Sennheiser HD560s and HD6XX from drop are my favorites.

But if you’ll be able to add another 200 take Beyerdynamic dt 1990 - they are perfect with analytical pads for mixing mastering.

1 Like

You can try one of these two.
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional
Beyerdynamic DT-990 Acoustically Open Monitor

2 Likes