Which license do I need for an end product that is free, but has parts you need to pay to access?

Hello Team Envato.

I have trouble understanding the difference between the to following license types:

Regular license and Extended.

I found different treads and information around www and the Envato forum, but ended up needing extra clarification

“Which license do I need for an end product that is free, but has parts you need to pay to access?”

Scenario of how I intend to build/form the end product.

1. Buy Envato HTML template to build website
  2. Build website so everyone can access free using Envato HTML template as the container to show the information on the website.
  3. Make a paid via subscription part of the website (Display the paid part via the Envato HTML container, the bought html template)

I need Regular license?

Please take time to answer the following:

Regular licence:

“What are some examples of permitted end products?”
“You can buy an HTML site template, convert it to WordPress, and use it as your website (but not as a stock template for sale).”

Is this correct understood that this is that i’m doing even if i have a paid part of the website accessed via subscription paid part of the website?

From: https://themeforest.net/licenses/faq?_ga=1.133184782.1658633191.1468503200#license-paying-users-a

From Envato Licensing FAQ

“Which license do I need for an end product that is free, but has parts you need to pay to access?”

“If the item is used within the free part, the Regular License if fine. If the item is used only in a part that requires payment to access, you need the Extended License.”

The website will be free to access to everybody, but it will have a part that is only accessed via login when you pay the subscription - Therefore its okay to use the Regular license?

“If you were using a 3d model of a sword for a game and you could only get the sword by buying it, you’d need the Extended License. If it was the starting weapon that even non-paying users could use, all you’d need is the Regular License.”

The bought Envato HTML template, is the starting weapon, because is is used for non-paying users also.
So again, the Regular license?

Most likely you’ll need an Extended License since the website won’t be entirely free to access, as per the FAQ you quoted in your post.

Hello Osama.

Thanks for the reply, but please do tell me:
How can the HTML template not be the starting sword, when its free for all users?

“If the item is used within the free part, the Regular License if fine. If the item is used only in a part that requires payment to access, you need the Extended License.”

Its NOT only used in a part that requires payment, so how can it be extended? :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking your time to reply.

Why not asking this question; It’s used in the paid part too, how can it not be extended license?

The item won’t be used within the free part only, but across the entire website including the paid section. So in my opinion, this line of the license is irrelevant.

I can’t see where the license says a Regular License is fine for your usage, but in my opinion, you’re going to need an Extended License.

Envato may have different opinion than mine, you can get an official answer from them here: https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/requests/new (their response may take a few days)

Unless you are building this on a completely different from the other free part and a ‘non-envato’ template or code then you need an extended license

Good points :slight_smile:

But you can not split up a quoted sentence, here is the original info:

As example they use the sword example to describe the above.

HTML template container = Sword

• in my opinion. I wrote Envato Also :slight_smile: Thanks for the link. I could not find it.