Which Audiojungle license for motivational spoken word voiceover, a bit like audiobook?

Hi!

Which license should I choose for doing motivational spoken word voiceover, a bit like audiobook?

I’m using CDBaby distribution.

Thanks!
Angell

Hi Angell,

This is a tricky one. On one hand, your spoken word voice over could be akin to guided meditation and this usage is perfectly fine. On the other hand though, the fact that you plan on releasing through CDBaby, sort of puts it in the “song made out of an Audiojungle instrumental” territory, which is strictly not allowed.

In my opinion, the distribution channel is problematic and would make your use of the music conflicts with Envato’s terms.

Hi there PurpleFog,

Thanks for your reply.

I saw this in the License FAQ section Audiojungle:

"### Can I use music in an audio-only end product such as a podcast, audiobook, or guided meditation?

Yes, as long as the audio-only end product is larger in scope and different in nature than the music itself. As a rule of thumb, the music alone must not comprise the primary value of the end product, and should have speech overlayed and interspersed throughout. You can never distribute the music track as-is or with superficial modifications.

Example: You can use a relaxing music background to underscore your guided meditation voiceover recordings, and sell a CD of this to your spa customers."

Does this mean I can make motivational spoken word voiceover on the background music by Audiojungle? I guess motivational spoken word is like an audiobook.

CDBaby distribution, does it infringe on Audiojungle music copyright? What approved music distribution services am I allowed to use then?

Thank you!
Angell

Hi again PurpleFog,

I was thinking about CDBaby but it might be for musicians more or something.

I searched around and found the world’s largest audiobook distributor Findaway Voices.

“Findaway Voices is the world’s largest audiobook distributor. We give you access to the entire listening world through retail and library partners ranging from major global brands to fresh new startups.”

Does an audiobook format and audiobook distribution allowed?

Thanks,
Angell

Hello Angell,

First, I’m just an author, and my opinion is not binding in any way. You may want to ask envato support for confirmation.

As I said in my first reply this type of use is indeed allowed. Your spoken words speech has to be the main “attraction” though, not the music itself. The music must be there to support the text.

CDBaby distribution is not explicitly prohibited by Envato’s terms. However, it is a music distribution service, and Envato’s terms do prohibit making music (creating a song) out of Audiojungle’s material.

This is why I think distributing your work through CDBaby does blurry the line on what your work actually is, and puts it in the music category, rather than “guided mediation”, “audiobook” or other allowed uses.

I’m not familiar with them, but I think it’s a better way to go. This way, there is no confusion about the nature of your work, which is my issue in this case.

In any case, you need to make sure that the distribution service you will use does not register your work with ContentID or other audio recognition services. If they do, make sure you can (and do) opt out.

Hope it makes sense!